• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 crew bag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes i do think the PNS bag is too heavy. and it requires maintenance every few years.

i also have a Samsonite hybrid that i bought from CrewGear a long time ago. i love the bag and might try it on the plane. it has served me very well although it is starting to look a big rough. almost 6 yrs of service out of it so far.

Forgot to mention - Whatever you do – Stay Away From Travelpro!

I switched to Samsonite from Travelpro when I learned about the Travelpro’s "lifetime warranty" the hard way! I had a top of the line Travelpro “Platinum…style” bag and was pretty happy with it overall. About three years after I’d purchased it, the handle broke so I called Travelpro customer service to get it fixed; after all – Lifetime Warranty means something, right?

Wrong! The lady looked up my file and said "it looks like you purchased your bag 3 years and 2 months ago, is that correct?" "I said, yeah, that sounds right." "It also shows you received a crew discount?" I said "well, I’m sure I did, all pilots got the crew discount at my previous airline?" "Well," she said "the lifetime warranty does NOT apply to pilots and flight attendants, for you we offer a 3-year warranty because of the tremendous usage you put our bags through!"

I am not kidding you, that’s what she said! I’ve never heard of the 3-year warranty for pilots and fa’s before and I’m yet to see anything in writing about that. Heck, had I known about it I wouldn’t have asked for a crew discount - I'd rather extend the warranty beyond the 3 years!

Anyway, I followed up with a call to a supervisor and was told the same thing, however, he said they’d be glad to fix my bag for me if I paid for the parts and labor, and as a courtesy to me they’d even pay for the shipment. That was the end of Travelpro for me. This was about year and a half ago so I'm not sure if anything has changed with their policy but I'm not going back.

So in my view, whatever you do – Stay Away From Travelpro!

Ps. Samsonite gives you a 10-year warranty regardless of your profession! (I do NOT get paid by Samsonite or anyone else to say this!)

Last edited:
Palomino said:
I also have a Samsonite hybrid that i bought from CrewGear a long time ago. i love the bag and might try it on the plane. it has served me very well although it is starting to look a big rough. almost 6 yrs of service out of it so far.

Anybody have a lead on the Samsonite Hybrid? Websites, Phone numbers?

Thanks
J3

TravelPro was started by a NWA pilot. That pretty much sums up why you are getting screwed. I got the same crap from TP years ago and never went back.

At least your travelpoor handle lasted 3 years - mine lasted 3 WEEKS. Had to beat it with a sledge hammer to make it go down and it never would stay locked after that (duh).
Buy the Costco bag.

Last place I found a samsonite hybrid was in a crew outfitter magazine dated late 2004. I've had mine for 6 years now, and it is far and away the best bag I have ever used. It fits straight in (wheels first) overhead bins. Great hook for the brain bag too. Try www.crewoutfitters.com

Anyone know if a Samsonite was purchased in another state, and got damaged, can it be returned and replaced without a reciept?

I have the PNS stealth that is 14 in wide. I really wish I would have gone with the 13 in wide. The 14 in doesn't go in the 300/500 without reaching behind the small jumpseat and lifting the backside while pushing the front with my foot. It does slide right out though. The exact opposite happens on the 700.

dhampton said:
My PNS bag has shredded side pockets from something underneath the jumpseat so when the main zipper finally failed after three years, I spent my money on the costco bag. It's light as a feather and fits just fine under the jumpseat.

On the classic fleet there's a bolt sticking up about 1/2" that can damage the PNS bags. If you lift it slightly off the floor when sliding it under the jumpseat it fits fine and avoids tearing on the bolt. The problem is, they're so heavy it takes a lot of effort to do that because you have to lift it by the front pocket or else stick your whole arm under the j/s.

On the 700's I've never seen one that had that bolt sticking out.

I have to agree with most of the other comments on this thread: PNS is great but HEAVY. TravlePro is over rated, mine lasted about 2 years of regional flying. Weak points seemed to be the handle and zippers. I replaced it with the PNS bag and have been happy with it for 3+ years. (other than the 300lb empty weight)

Latest resources

Back