• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 Crash Near Athens

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depressurization calls for donning the mask, checking interphone, then executing an emergency descent. That's why I think the O2 system was faulty in some way.

Useful consciousness times in this scenario are very short, just a few seconds. I think everyone with an ATP should do a chamber ride, not that it would have saved these guys, but to understand just how fast you've got to don in this situation.

The news is now reporting that the person claiming to have received a text mssg. from his cousin was a hoax. He has been arrested.

It seemed strange that a text mssg. would have been able to be transmitted at such a high altitude. My only conclusion intially was that the text mssg. may have been stored in the cell phone and automatically sent once at a lower altitude, prior to the crash.

NYCPilot said:
The news is now reporting that the person claiming to have received a text mssg. from his cousin was a hoax. He has been arrested.

It seemed strange that a text mssg. would have been able to be transmitted at such a high altitude. My only conclusion intially was that the text mssg. may have been stored in the cell phone and automatically sent once at a lower altitude, prior to the crash.

Turns out the guy that supposedly received the text message was arrested for disseminating false information. It was a hoax

falcon20driver said:
Maybe trimming nose down should be the first step in ED than, not the mask, hit the trim than get the mask, might have saved these guys.

Or maybe just dialing in a lower altitude for the AP???

falcon20driver said:
Maybe trimming nose down should be the first step in ED than, not the mask, hit the trim than get the mask, might have saved these guys.

Jmajoris said:
Or maybe just dialing in a lower altitude for the AP???

Dialing a new altitude takes a couple of seconds, you might be unconsious before you get the altitude you want in there, might only get 250 in there instead of something low enough to regain consious. Kicking the autopilot off by hitting nose down trim takes no time, a half a second at most, and if you do pass out you might come to passing 10,000' or so and get the plane back.

Besides, you could hit the trim and go for the mask at the same time.

They said the F/O was slumped over the yoke. Would that cause enough of a force to push it forward and make it go into CWS mode?

falcon20driver said:

I believe this falls under the old tried and true R&D methodology of "getting creative", or as they used to say back in the brown shoe days, "makin' sh!t up".

Latest resources

Back