• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737-800 question to gary kelly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gary actually discussed the 737-800 question in the last earnings call as well. Basically he said it'd be a good a/c for the LGA stuff. Back at Brand X we didn't have a problem filling all the seats on the LGA/MDW route. Might be an option for SWA to increase LGA lift.

Also, SWA could also use the -800 aircraft to run to Mexico and Hawaii someday :cool:

Last edited:
About eight years ago Herb was talking to a new hire class with a friend of mine in attendance.

The question about aircraft types came up and Herb said that SW and Boeing had recently been discussing some homeless 757s.

Herb said that while they would not be seeking out other aircraft types, because of the obvious training issues, if Boeing or another owner ever offered them another type for a low enough price they would do the deal. In the case of the aforementioned 75s the price would have to be low enough to compensate for the additional expenses inherent with adding another type.

Though the -800 would require another FA, therefore messing with the SWA - any crew can operate any aircraft - philosophy, if the price is right I am sure they would do it in a heartbeat.

What that pricepoint is, however, is known only to Gary Kelly et. all.

Gary doesn't have the balls to make an aggressive move. He's too busy coverng 6.

But on a brighter note....... 35 more captains got downgraded yesterday.

Gup

Blew what?

Do you know what an ATA 12 year Captains makes?

Nothin....he's on the street clown.

I'm acutely aware. Thanks brotha.

But a few are doing better, in Asia.

If you could read, you'd notice I was responding to another post. I corrected his historical statement.

Hard to believe an extra flight attendant is that big of a deal in the cost structure of an airplane that cost $5,000-$6,000/hr to operate. The ability of a city pairing to support the extra capacity has to be a much bigger factor in the decision.

How many Captains total have been downgraded? How many Captains at Southwest are retiring prior to 65?

FAA.gov says Southwest has 546 737s... I don't know how accurate that is.

Let's say they get 50 737-800s.

The average flight attendant there brings home 30/hr, x 110/mo is about $3300, let's not even throw in per-diem, or open time.

3300x12 is about 40,000

40k x 50 is 2,000,000

2,000,000 x let's say 4 per airplane is 8,000,000.

That's 8 million they save by not having another FA.

My numbers are all just a guess. Not sure if the 8mil would be covered by the increased revenue of having a bigger plane.

I know 8mil really isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things either for an airline as massive as Southwest.

Blew what?

Do you know what an ATA 12 year Captains makes?

Nothin....he's on the street clown.

Man this board (Profession) has some serious losers. When you are typing things like this to someone, who does not have a job, does that make you feel good about yourself? It makes me feel sorry for you, you have no class.

Latest resources

Back