• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

709 RIDE??? insight please!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its a checkride. But prepare yourself for the most thorough checkride possible. I know a guy who had one to get his MEI back after he had a spin in at low altitude while single engine (his student got way too slow). His ride lasted almost five hours. It was about two hours on the oral, forty five minutes for preflight, and about two hours for the flight. Make wure your aircraft is in excellent shape. He had to reschedule his 709 after the fsdo refused to fly him on his first appointment because the TSO tags on his seatbelts were faded and couldn't be read. Trust me this is a checkride that will be truly anal.

great..... this just so happens to come right when i am prepairing for several interviews....

Used to be a 609...

...but was changed to section 709 when they re-indexed the original FAA authorization act.

As far as the 709, it is not always a standard procedure. If you are a CFI and were with a student, then you can expect a 709.

By the way, you do not have to take the 709 with the FSDO that is investigating the incident. You can go to any FSDO and schedule the ride.

Most importantly, if you plan on a career in aviation, I would talk with an aviation attorney. If you belong to AOPA, I think it's free (or at least available at a reduced cost).

Believe it or not, there may be some good news here. Typically, after completing the 709 (successfully), you should not face any further discipline. The FAA usually chooses between two routes: enforcement or competency. In the case of the 709, they seem to be choosing the later.

I would talk to an attorney however (to verify everything I'm telling you).

Good luck!

It is a 709 ride, I am a designated examiner for the FAA. Usaully performed by the FAA themselves. Good luck because it is anal. Most do fine.

I did one several years ago for bending some metal. The 709 info is in the CFR chapter 49 which is not included in the usual GA abridged version we normally buy.

The letter you received must indicate on which certificate the 709 is being administer, ie. '' we have reason to believe that your qualifications for such are in question...". Most times the ride will concentrate on and around the event which took place and try to simulate similar conditions. A few key points:

1) Like any other checkride be prepared and willing to learn.

2) Have all the A/C paperwork in order. They are truly anal with this but, you know it anyway so just have it done.

3) The 709 is in many cases the way an inspector deals with a no fault accident or a truly stupid oversight. It gives him or her the latitude to either close the file or send you for extra training. Once the ride is administered and the ASI is satisfied in knowing you are a safe pilot ( not a reckless individual)the case is closed.

4) If they (FAA) have not temporarily deposit your certificate at their office, this being standard procedure for some FSDO, then chances are that you are doing fine. This is an option th FAA inspector has which should not be confuse with disciplinary action.

When it comes to interviews I was offered a job in all four airlines to which I applied. As the FSDO manager told me once there are those who have and those who will, the question is how bad and why.

I used to do a lot of training for the feds.
IE: they would give a "Student" to me that had a 709 ride to do and i
would have to make sure that they pass the "Ride".

The feds are not out to bust your ass. THey want you to learn from your
experience and move on. If you cannot learn from the experience then you
would find yourself in a tub of hot water.

The ride will start off with the Oral. You will be asked what it is that
happened and how you would handle it differently. You might go over
systems if that led to your incident or accident. So it would be a good idea
to go over that thick 150 POH.

The FAA would like to simulate what happened that day of the incident but
in most cases that makes it impossible. You will go out and try to do it.
After the FAA feels that you are not a menice to yourself or others you
will get a letter in the mail that states you are cleared of any wrong doing.

Don't get worried about this. The FAA does not want you to ever get
in an accident. It gives them paperwork to do. If they feel you will give
them more paperwork in the future then you have something to worry
about.

Good Luck

What happens if you screw something up due to nerves or something? Not necessarily dangerous. cant they yank all your certs?

Latest resources

Back