• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

709 RIDE??? insight please!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 709 ride is a formality and that's all. If you are a private pilot, you must fly and land to private PTS. They are no big deal. You may get quizzed on wind shear avoidance, but that's all.

Good Luck!!!! It is not a career killer if you learn from it.

bigbenno said:
great..... this just so happens to come right when i am prepairing for several interviews....

Dont worry about the interview, if you dont pass this ride the interview wont be long.

bigbenno said:
I got into a heavy downdraft in a C150 and I couldnt climb out of it.. as a result the a/c hit the ground 100ft short of the rwy

I once had a heavy downdraft in a hot air balloon. Scared the beejeezus out of me, but I remembered my instincts and all of the intense training I recieved over those 145 hours with my CBFII (certified balloon flight instructor - IFR), mustered up a huge, gigantic bean burrito fart and saved the day.

no 709 ride for me and my balloon really flies!

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

709 rides are kinda the luck of the draw on inspectors. Considering your circumstances, (the downdraft) if the inspector that decided you need a 709 ride is the one giving it, you may be in trouble. If you get another inspector who thinks it's pretty much a billshut deal, you'll be OK. I had a couple of my pilots earn 709's over the years, and they both did ok, it was treated more as a formality. If you fail it, or get a real deckhiad for an inspector, you will most likely lose every cert/rating you have. Not a HUGE deal, you'll just have to take PVT/INST/COMM/ME rides again. Get an EXAMINER for this, will cost a few bucks, but most will have some pity considering the circumstances.
What the one guy said about AOPA legal services is probably your best bet. If you can put the ride off until you've had time to talk with an aviation atty, you might be able to get out of the ride if the atty can pull a WX report showing conditions conducive to downdrafts on the day of the incident near the appropriate airport. Two people in a 150 on a hot day with a serious downdraft is something almost any NTSB judge should understand.

Good Luck, both with the situation and your upcoming interviews.

This is from personal experance. First 709 is slang, it is a reexam of what ever the FAA investagator feels contributed to the crash. The letter you recieved should have stated the areas of the PTS that you are being re-examined in for example area iv B,D,F and so on. If you were instructing plan on teaching the areas in question. My accident was in a tail wheel while giving instruction.

I was also applying for jobs at airlines at the time of the accident. I was very forth right with the investagator for the crash and the Fed who did my check ride.

I found both inspectors to be very understanding and did what they could to help me through the process.

This is not to be taken lightly but it was the easiest of any check ride I have ever taken. Even the feds are human. They want to see is that you can fly to PTS and you are safe.

PM me if you have any other questions

I used to do the same thing as ex J - 41. It's just like he says. Just study up some and you should be fine. As far as the interviews go, use it as a learning experience and it becomes a good story. Good luck.

on a side note if you didnt pass your 709 then I would suggest you apply with mesa, they seem to be short of pilots

Start with, I really want to work for mesa but I do suck as an aviator....

Now back to the 709.... um yea it was the students fault

I had to give dual to a guy who was going up for a 709 ride after gear-upping his mooney. then I flew with him to the site to meet the fed and met him, chatted with him a lot. pm me if you want.

Latest resources

Back