Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

500 hours...what can i do to build time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
p.b. -- I really hope you listen to ATC better than you pay attention here. We wonder why runway incursions occur?

I suggested he go the CFI route.

"However, they also like a CFI on there. So, maybe become a double threat and do both."
I guess I need to spell it out for you p.b.

Flynething-- Maybe you should try the CFI route. I know you know this from paying attention to my other post, but for the people too busy worrying about who did PFT and who didn't I thought I would spell it out for them.

Now instead of putting Flynething down you turn your guns towards me.

Why can't you just get over it. Seriously! Who cares? I guess it is like politics. One side will never convince the other.

FLYNETHING—I am sorry that I myself can’t offer some advice since that is really the purpose of this thread. However, I just can’t sit back and watch a bunch of anonymous babies rip you apart for asking anymore.

I didn't try to convince you of anything.

Hmmmmmm

thank you Icywings2. at least one person out there who bothered to read my initial post and find the meaning behind it. this WAS NOT intended to be a PFT post. Icywings suggesting that i instruct has more weight and meaning than the rest of you morons put together. i think he is right, i would not want to fly with some of you either. to those who have offered real suggestions and advice, thank you. to the rest of you who just want to flame me, PFT, or anyone else who does not do or see things *YOUR* way: grow up, stop spending time trying to tell us all how good you are and why you are better than us, and prove it. i will see you at the top, even though i am taking a different road. i wish you ALL luck and success.

Your best bet is to get the CFI. I know from your poast that you have fear of taking a 0 time pilot up to the point for their PPL checkride, but I will tell you, I just started instructing after flying skydivers for 2 summers, and I have flown at least 2 times a day, and only with 1 zero time pilot. Most of the people that I have flown with are looking for an instrument rating, IPC, BFR or have 35 hours and havnt flown since last summer. Its a great way to meet interesting people, make a little money and get lots of flight time, as well as learn a whole lot. Skydivers is only good for the flight time, and it gets boring real quick. Do what you think is best for you, but with my limited experience, I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not getting a CFI.

a man's got to know his limitations

Flynething

You may want to add a bit of humility to your diet.

At 330 or so hours it's not what you've experienced as much as what you HAVEN'T experienced that (in my humble opinion) determines where your skill level is at this point.

I bet you might be able to land that big 'ol 1900 better than a CFI in a 172, but how about shooting an ILS in it down to mins? Can you fly it as well or better than the autopilot or flight director? Can you continue if you see the ALS? How far out can you rely on a VASI?

It's not just stick and rudder skills that count. In the "real world" (as you often refer to) you have to have knowledge too, unless you like visits from the FAA. I would go out on a limb here and say that a 1000 hour CFI (or more likely an ambitious CFII/MEI by that many hours accumulated) would "whoop your hiney" in a knowledge based matchup with you.

PFT or not, by not instructing you're limiting yourself to what you can find in this market, such as it is. I think you're correct in not instructing if you don't want to or feel no desire. Most people that pay thousands of dollars getting licenses and ratings want a quality, motivated, ambitious instructor. People are funny that way. They don't want to waste their hard earned cash for nothing.

There have been plenty of posts here. Some with good ideas for you and some with flaming arrows. Those arrows were probably from the instructor crowd. Not all instructors can appreciate your predicament.

I apologize I really don't have any added leads for you at this juncture in your career, but if I were you, I'd open myself up to ALL possiblities to get to my own Nirvana. Just be careful about the challenges you make to folks who have paid their own prices for the experience they've accumulated. The costs they incurred may not have much monetary value, but the experience they received is worth more than anything anyone could afford.

Good luck.

P.S. Who the HELL told you flying checks was a "FUN" job??!!

ok, im gonna ignore the PFT part, because we all know where that leads us ;)

i for one think sydeseet is probably the guy that got it right...albeit in a sadistic sort of way :eek: its one thing to not want to CFI because it "sounds boring". its a totally other situation when said individual honestly has no interest in being on the teaching side of the learning experience.

while i appreciate the merits of CFI-ing, when you put someone in the seat that dosent like to teach, has little or no patience, and only wants to build the time...the end result is going to be some mediocre (at best) training. im sure we all had one (if not two) instructors along the way that fit this profile, or at least can name some who were in the school they trained in.

i knew from my days in the military that i wasnt cut out to instruct anyone in anything. heck, trying to teach 5 marines to use a bulldozer to dig a 2 tier tank position was enough torture for me, and that was only for 3 days...on the ground :rolleyes:

anywhoo, if the CFI route is not chosen, it is still possible to get where you want to go. i never did instruct and managed to stay away from PFT (heck, i could barely afford rent, much less...nevermind, i said i wasnt going there) make no mistake, it took some tenacity, lots of networking, and some very long duty days flying cargo in a ratted out single engine to get where i wanted to be. its not easy, but i knew what i was in for when i cancelled my checkride (right after getting my BGI card) and decided to pursue other options.

id even go so far to say that once you become eligible for the upper level jobs (with ~5,000 hours in your logbook) the fact that you were a CFI 4-5 years ago is little or no factor at all. i mean, c'mon, how long do you think your gonna remember that the left alternator of a Beech Duchess weighs 23 pounds, after not having used that info for 4-5 years?

that said, the lack of a job, or any other flying oppurtunity at all is/can be a great motivator. i just cant agree with the mantra that everyone must CFI in order to be considered a competent pilot...

cheers
'nutt

*EDIT* for technical inaccuracies ;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back