Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

500 hours...what can i do to build time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hey P.B. and mozzer, i asked for real answers, not sarcastic simple minded answers. first off, i don't have to pay pinnacle to get a job, if i interview and they take me, it is on my merit. they realize the training that i have had, and that i would be of value to the company. don't try to sound like you are better than me, that is childish. i admitted that i in some ways regret the decision that i have made, even though i feel that i was mislead. in some ways, i don't regret my decision. i have gained experience that i could never have gotten by instructing, and i have shown that i can be an active, safe, and professional crewmember in a 121 environment. and a question to all of you pro-instructor people. when i was a student working on my instrument rating, we did no real weather flying, very little actual, few "real" instrument approaches, and minimal airways flying. i learned the basic skills that we all learn getting our instrument ticket, but only since i have been flying in the right seat have i actually flown weather many times, real IFR, real approaches, airway flying, and procedures specific to commercial flying. i may have been a bit overwhelmed the first day or two, but aren't we all when we move to a bigger more complex aircraft. you know, i bet that when i finish my 250 hours in the right seat, that could keep up with or even surpass most 1000 hour instructors who have been flying cessnas and seminoles when it comes to getting a job in the regionals. i don't mean that i am better than these people in any way, just that i have real world experience. i know that i still have a lot to learn in aviation, and i hope i always feel that way. instructing might have it's benefits, but 1000 hours in a cessna would never have prepared me for what i am doing now. i am held to the same if not higher standards than the full time f/o's because of my low time and inexperience. believe me, it's not just pay your money, sit down, ride along, don't touch anything. if you try to do that here, you get told to leave. they will take your money and kick your a$$ out without a second though if you can't keep up. the only thing i can do is be a professional and prove that i belong in my seat through my actions. you know what, i am **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** proud of what i have accomplished thus far, and i think that i will be much more prepared for my future in aviation through this *look out...that dirty word* PFT program. like i have said before, instructing is a noble profession, or at least a noble way to advance your career, but i don't feel that it is for everyone, especially not me. you might not agree with this, but if you have nothing constructive to say, don't post here. good luck to all out there, and to those who have answered my post with constructive comments, thank you.

i am **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** proud of what i have accomplished thus far, and i think that i will be much more prepared for my future in aviation through this *look out...that dirty word* PFT program.

While you may have been mislead to begin with, and feel somewhat justified in having participated in the program in retrospect, I would not be "****ing" proud of have been a PFT participant.

You'd like a constuctive comment? Here goes.

Even though you think being an instructor isn't for you, do it anyway. After a year of instructing you will admit, at least to yourself, that it was right for even you. Second, if you get an interview, express contrition and how you were mislead by the PFT sales pitch, and how you now believe it wasn't right, and how much you learned as an instructor.

And try not to think about the hundreds of qualified pilots who were displaced from a job by your former company's actions, and how you have been tainted by helping them.

amazed!

With your +300 , how did you managed to get to fly Be-1900.

To build time, where you live!

You could, teach, do traffic watch, be banner tower...

BE1900 Superstars

A hiring board would LOVE to see you. Mostly to vent about how PFT has Fu***ed things up. A BE1900 if anything like a king-Air it's the easiest bird you can ask for as long as everything works. I hope with all of this training they provided doesn't get you and others killed on your next job.

The only card you can play is that you did PFT so they can probably get away with paying you Shi7 for the rest of your life. Managment loves that part.

I think the only way you can redeem yourself now is to forfeit all certificates to the FAA, retest, throw away your (only) logbook (I know there's probably 3/4 blank pages that's ok). Now...THAT would be impressive.

Good luck sucker.

And another thing...

Now that I've vented appropriately...

There are not many people that felt CFIing was going to be a fun rewarding experience going into it. It is and it has many career benefits...

Your students...connections and many friendships (most admire you greatly for what you're trying to accomplish).

Your co-workers...walk-ins, referrals, take their last job

Total time...grows on trees

Learn many aircraft... I've flown about 20+ different aircraft in 2.5 yrs CFIing...from motor-gliders to Citation VII.

AND...the guy on the hiring board...if not necessarily military, probably served his 2+ summers in 100 degree C152s.

Now...why is instructing just something you 'don't want to do?'

It's worth it buddy, just do it, like someone else said, you won't know what you're doing when you get your first student but it gets really easy later to figure out how far to let someone go. (it's always alot farther than THEY think they SHOULD go, ie. bad approaches, stalls, spins) that's where it gets fun and they learn something.

Just .02. Ive spoken to several chief pilots and they have all mentioned instructor time and a #1 priority in hiring.

Everyone else I have spoken to (new cfi's and old) have stated that they have learned 200% more about flying than when they were getting their ratings.

I don't know if this helps or just adds fuel to the fire, but dude get the CFI and build time I don't think you will regret it.

CFI ing

You have to do the time if you want to survive. At times instructing can be a real nutcracker, however I agree with the others. Unless you are lucky enough to have a friend/family person grease you in.

flynething-

The point of my post was that with 300 hours, it seems unlikely that Pinnacle will interview you on your merits. BUT if you want to pay for the job, you could escape the horrors of flight instructing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back