Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

500 hours...what can i do to build time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flynething

I should start off saying that i was one of those horrible people that went the PFT route. I left a decent paying job to persue my dream of flying, and did not know too much about aviation. The "recruiter" that i spoke to when looking at schools never mentioned this controversy, otherwise i would have investigated other options. It wasn't until i was already doing my time in the right seat that i really learned what PFT means and what it does to the industry. And just to dispell one myth: i am not just a radio / flap operator. I fly every other leg, and whether i paid to be there or not, i am as qualified as anyone else sitting in the right seat. I passed the same 121 checkrides and course work that any other pilot in the right seat of our aircraft does. I may not have the experience that other pilots who have spent time flying 135 or instructing, but i am a safe confident pilot. However, i do not want to flight instruct. Not that passing on the knowledge of flying is not important, as we all had instructors...some good, some bad. I don't feel that i really would be a good instructor, and the idea of taking a 0 time student pilot up and trying to show him how it works scares me. I feel that i am a good pilot, and i definately have a passion for aviation. What possible options will be there for me when i finish my time in the right seat. I would like to spend time doing the "fun" jobs like flying checks and othersuch jobs before i go into the regionals...even though i will have the opportunity to go to the regionals as soon as i finish. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I am not trying to seem noble or be some sort of reformed martyr, i just want to build time and get to the regionals with the right amount of hours and experience.

I left a decent paying job to persue my dream of flying, and did not know too much about aviation. The "recruiter" that i spoke to when looking at schools never mentioned this controversy, otherwise i would have investigated other options. It wasn't until i was already doing my time in the right seat that i really learned what PFT means and what it does to the industry.

This is precisely why several of us are trying to educate the newer pilots here, and elsewhere when we can. Knowlege is power, and a pilot who knows the score is far more difficult for an unscrupulous (shady) operator to abuse.

i am as qualified as anyone else sitting in the right seat. I passed the same 121 checkrides and course work that any other pilot in the right seat of our aircraft does. I may not have the experience that other pilots who have spent time flying 135 or instructing, but i am a safe confident pilot.

This is a subjective judgement, to a degree. I could probably take someone with very little flight time and train them to pass the same tests that you passed. This is done every day. What isn't possible is to implant the experience of several hundred hours of explaining, demonstrating, testing, counseling, icing, fueling, loading, and sheer stick time that makes for an experienced pilot.

I don't feel that i really would be a good instructor, and the idea of taking a 0 time student pilot up and trying to show him how it works scares me.

You said you are a confident pilot. If you were confident about taking up a zero time student and giving him the controls, I'd appreciate a greater level of creedence in your estimate of your abilities. Not having done any instructing, it is difficult for you to have an understanding of what you have missed.

I would like to spend time doing the "fun" jobs like flying checks and othersuch jobs before i go into the regionals...even though i will have the opportunity to go to the regionals as soon as i finish. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Let me tell you about the largest check hauler, Airnet. As the recruiter, Craig looks for a couple of things. The first is about 1,000 TT, but this can go higher or lower. Another thing is recency of expereince. If you have been out of work for several months, this can be a deal breaker. Another thing is flight instructor experience.

Now if Airnet sees flight instructor experience as valuable, as do the captains on hiring boards at airlines, and you aren't picked up right away when your 250 hours is up, you are faced with two problems: lack of recent expereince, and a lack of instructor experience.

Sure, there are other jobs, but there are already hundreds of pilots in line, pilots with expereince, waiting for the next opening at most of the companies that will give you a look.

My advice to overcome this is to find a school that will let you instruct (it has become a privilege, not a "given") if you do your CFI training there at their school.

Then you will triple or quadruple your chances of a career in aviation. Ask yourself: how many PFT guys will/can a regional carrier absorb?

Last edited:
timebuilder pretty much hit it on the head. you're not going to get a "fun job flying checks" with 330tt...even if 100 of it is in a '1900 or whatever. i couldn't get a "fun job flying checks" when i had 1000tt. i applied monthly to airnet with no response.

i never ever ever ever ever wanted to be an instructor. i wanted to get a "fun job flying checks." i finally (after sending out hundreds of 300tt resumes) buckled and finished my cfi. i was lucky enough to get an instructing job soon after. i instructed for 14 months and it was great. i always had a blast. the best job i had ever had. the satisfaction of watching someone fly alone from zero time is incredible. very good times.

as far as thinking you can't do it...you should've seen me my first month. i was stumbling and stuttering all over the place. trying to figure out what the hell i was supposed to be doing. it takes a while to get into the groove, but when you figure out your method it's great. sure it gets mundane on the hot days when the student can't hold altitude in steep turns, but that goes with everything.

now i'm flying charter in the northeast (very lucky to have gotten a job) and i'm having a blast. there are days that it gets frustrating (late pax bringing enough luggage to fill a mobile home) but it's great. wouldn't trade it for anything.

i've been up since 4am, so not sure if i'm wandering around in my post here. just give the cfi thing a shot. you'll enjoy it. good luck.

starvingcfi

I totally agree with the other couple of posts.

First of all, I would strongly recommend flight intructing. Ok, its not always fun, the pay stinks, but I did it for almost two years to build time and I wouldnt EVER take that experience back. It made me a more confident ,more adept, and most of all a more experienced pilot.

So, My advice is this. First of all, get your CFI and CFII, find a good school or FBO to teach at, build some time. You may wind up liking it. It can actually be fun and there are few better experiences than taking someone who has NO flight experience, making them a pilot and knowing that it was due to your efforts.

Secondly, while you are intructing, talk to EVERYONE. If you want that "fun" job. Networking is the key. You never know when you might run into a person that may hire you now or in the future. I have stayed employed as a direct result of talking to every pilot I meet. Most pilot jobs are not advertised.

You have met with some bad luck in your flying career, keep at advancing your career, but realize like so many othes you are going to have to pay "your dues" to get to that fun job.

:D

other options

I agree with the previous posts, flight instructing is the Best way to go. But there are other routes. Check with skydiving centers. Many have turbines, some have Casa's requiring 2 pilots. Banner towing is another option. A third is towing gliders, though opportunities are few the and requirements for some tow-ships are probably out of reach for now (ie 100 hours taildragger).

With all of these, cross country time and instrument time will not come quickly, if at all, but the TT goes up, often very quickly. After 1000 TT opportunities will open up for you, they'll close again at 5000 TT, but it's fun in-between! Good luck!

I have heard that having too many hours can be a detriment. I am curious if this is actually true, and what were the circumstances.
Anyway, all the previous posts about instructing are 100 percent right. You may think you are qualified as a 300 hr pilot. Wait till you start instructing (especially IFR), you will realize how little you know, and how poor you training was (I speak from experience, some of my instrument instructors should have been shot). Even though you are not actually flying the plane you are becoming a better pilot by evaluating your student and in turn evaluating yourself:) :)
Good Luck

I was able to land a job as a CFI for a company that also did 135 charter. I have slowly built up my time but now I am doing charter and get to go along as much as I want.... Its a great way to build time and experience.

So If I was you try looking for a 135 operator that also has a flight school!!

Best of Luck

...let me add that you will be much easier to fly with when you do get a "real" job. i'm the only cfi at my company and it's tough to fly with them a lot of times. they're very jumpy and sometimes really intolerant. something you did correctly (but they might've done differently) will spark an argument, a "lesson" on "what you should've done", or worse - them grabbing the controls and doing it themselves. it sucks.

sometimes it sucks sitting in the plane and not getting to fly, but it really does make you a better pilot.

good luck.

starvingcfi

Latest resources

Back