• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30 year Career: US Legacies vs Emirates/Qatar/Ethiad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The airlines all similar, lifestyles between certain countries here varies widely...go for lifestyle, airplanes are are future beer cans anyway...well except the plastic ones..future lawn furniture?

Not sure how it will work out in this industry for American expats. In other industries experience/history shows that once a guy is an expat for more than five years or so they usually finish their career overseas. It takes a few years just to learn how to enjoy the life style. Once you do it is really hard to give up. Eventually you reach a point where you give up too much to come home and don't have enough time left in your career to recover it.

Not sure how it will work out in this industry for American expats. In other industries experience/history shows that once a guy is an expat for more than five years or so they usually finish their career overseas. It takes a few years just to learn how to enjoy the life style. Once you do it is really hard to give up. Eventually you reach a point where you give up too much to come home and don't have enough time left in your career to recover it.
Agreed, at 48 I don't think that I will be returning to any job that is available right now (DAL, USAIR, UCAL) I understand that my situation is not common since I work abroad but actually live in the US and haven't uprooted my family, but still, not interested in any job back in the US.

Your daily reminder, ladies and gentlemen, that Dumb Pilot has a really good thing going and we all hate him very much.

I keed, I keed...

sinkrate said:
In other industries experience/history shows that once a guy is an expat for more than five years or so they usually finish their career overseas.

That's a really interesting piece of information. I would imagine there are some hard numbers out there somewhere as prevalent as expatriate work is these days, but I haven't seen any. I would imagine it's got a lot to do with a person's age when they make the jump, too.

7 years overseas now. I will never return unless an unforeseen situation forces me to. No intention to come back even after I retire. 42 years old.

Ten years consecutively and counting with a combined total of 13.5 from previous ventures and I will definitely return to the USA some day. I would do it now if I could afford to. More likely between 3 and 6 years from now based on certain goals that need to be met.

TP

Is not a matter of wanting to go back to the US aviation market, I think everyone would want to if conditions permit, but going back to the rat race! That would be very hard and I'm not talking about the economical aspect which is compelling enough, just going back to the commute alone is something that makes the hairs in the back of my neck stand on end

I agree with Dumbpilot. The idea of having to commute to Detroit or Philadelphia to sit on reserve and fly 3 or more legs a day for relatively low pay, and risk the chance of getting furloughed after the optimistic hiring doesn't pan out(again), that just doesn't appeal to me. Especially at my late 40'ish age.

But then again I have only been overseas for just over 4 years.

Last edited:
Maybe if you're sub 35, your wife has a good career, your commute is easy and you are happy living where you are - then a crack at the majors is probably attractive.

40+, the dream hasn't worked out as you slog away on a larJ, with possible displacement due 50 seat contraction, commuting and overall in an average situation at home, school, house etc...then EK et al may have been the way to go. I say 'may' because getting on now with EK is looking like a different story to when we joined. Most of us (sorry Bus drivers) who have posted over the last five years on EK now have our command - and it would be very tough to walk away from that for any US based job.

Most I believe will end p commuting from Asia when the kids move stateside. Boeing just released a report re-stating Asia's needs for new pilots (link below ) to 186,500 by 2030. That is very good for all of us expats.

If you are 35-40.... Well that's just 50 shades of grey ;)

Me...gonna ride this gig and take it for everything I can ... And continue to enjoy myself.

Good luck

Respectfully,
fv
ps My worst day as an expat pilot was better than any day at a regional

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-27/boeing-says-asia-pacific-region-needs-185-600-pilots.html

Last edited:
Maybe if you're sub 35, your wife has a good career, your commute is easy and you are happy living where you are - then a crack at the majors is probably attractive.

40+, the dream hasn't worked out as you slog away on a larJ, with possible displacement due 50 seat contraction, commuting and overall in an average situation at home, school, house etc...then EK et al may have been the way to go. I say 'may' because getting on now with EK is looking like a different story to when we joined. Most of us (sorry Bus drivers) who have posted over the last five years on EK now have our command - and it would be very tough to walk away from that for any US based job.

Most I believe will end p commuting from Asia when the kids move stateside. Boeing just released a report re-stating Asia's needs for new pilots (link below ) to 186,500 by 2030. That is very good for all of us expats.

If you are 35-40.... Well that's just 50 shades of grey ;)

Me...gonna ride this gig and take it for everything I can ... And continue to enjoy myself.

Good luck

Respectfully,
fv
ps My worst day as an expat pilot was better than any day at a regional

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-27/boeing-says-asia-pacific-region-needs-185-600-pilots.html

In your 40s and Captain on the 777. Must be an amazing feeling. Very happy for you guys. Thanks for all the info!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Latest resources

Back