• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2nd time Jetblue has had this problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5, Is the all of the heavy maint on your Gulfstream done in house? Do you fly your own mechanic to the aircraft when you break down on the road?

I also see you are typed in the da-50/900 and 2000, were you not able to convince your company to buy American?

I am all for buying American when it makes finacial sense for myself or the company. I will not do it just to appear patriotic.

G4G5, Is the all of the heavy maint on your Gulfstream done in house? Do you fly your own mechanic to the aircraft when you break down on the road?

Nope you are looking at him, most of the guys who fly our aircraft have A&P's

I also see you are typed in the da-50/900 and 2000, were you not able to convince your company to buy American?

The Falcon was purchased by a former employer (top 5 Fortune company) in a effort secure French contracts for their products. It worked and countless jobs were created.
Read my previous posts, I am not saying one is better then the other. What I am simply saying is, if all things are equal........... At the time I flew the Falcon (great aircraft). NO American mfr was producing anything equal. To my knowledge their is no American made corporate jet that is equal to a Falcon 2000 or a Falcon 50

I am all for buying American when it makes finacial sense for myself or the company. I will not do it just to appear patriotic.

And I agree with you that's why its hard to put up a pro A320 argument when SWA and Ryan Air are the two most profitable LCC and they do it with a 737.

7 Airbus Jets Had Landing Gear Trouble
By Jennifer Oldham and Megan Garvey, Times Staff Writers

The problems with JetBlue Flight 292 marked at least the seventh time that the front landing gear of an Airbus jet has locked at a 90-degree angle, forcing pilots to land commercial airliners under emergency conditions, according to federal records.

No one has been injured in the incidents, which span about a decade. There are more than 2,500 planes from the Airbus 320 family, which includes the Airbus 318, 319 and 321 models, in operation worldwide. Aviation safety officials Thursday said the planes have a good safety record.

In the most recent case, JetBlue's flight from Burbank to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, carrying 140 passengers, was forced Wednesday to make an emergency landing at Los Angeles International Airport. The plight of the aircraft was televised nationwide, beginning with the plane circling over the California coast and ending at an LAX runway with a landing marked by fire streaming from the plane's front wheels.

Howard Plagens, a senior air safety investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating Wednesday's incident, called problems with landing gear "common."

At a news conference Thursday at the Proud Bird Restaurant outside LAX, he said he believed that passengers had no reason for concern about the safety of the Airbus fleet.

"How many Airbus A320s are out there?" he said, adding that the number of times the wheels have locked is small.

"Incidents happen every day" involving landing gear on all types of planes, he said.

The locking of the nose landing gear on Airbus jets is one of several recurring problems with the plane's nose landing gear.

A Canadian study issued last year documented 67 incidents of nose-landing-gear failures on Airbus 319, 320 and 321 aircraft worldwide since 1989.

Plagens said the A320 wasn't grounded after previous incidents involving the nose landing gear because "they did do fixes for those things."

After the initial investigation, the NTSB will look at maintenance records for other Airbus A320 aircraft, Plagens said. Investigators will review other instances involving the plane's nose wheel, as well as modifications recommended to fix the problem.

"If we find a pattern, we'll certainly do something," he said.

NTSB officials expect the investigation into Flight 292's emergency landing to take six to nine months. They have removed the cockpit voice recorder and the digital flight data recorder from the plane and sent them to Washington for evaluation.

In the next few days, safety officials will decide whether to send the entire nose-landing-gear assembly to New York, where mechanics will take it apart piece by piece and reassemble it to try to re-create the failure.

The landing gear on the nose of the A320, also known as the nose wheel, is a big, bulky system controlled by a computer. The computer gives commands to an electrical system, which in turn operates the hydraulics that move the gear up and down, moving the wheels into proper position for both landing and storage.

The problem that caused the wheel on Flight 292 to lock in the wrong position could have been caused by the electrical system, the hydraulics or some other part of the assembly, Plagens said.

The 3-year-old aircraft was towed to a Continental Airlines hangar at LAX for evaluation. It remained there Thursday. Airbus engineers were flying to Los Angeles on Thursday night to help NTSB investigators determine what caused the incident.

The circumstances of Wednesday's incident bear strong similarities to other documented incidents of Airbus 320 and 319 airplanes experiencing front wheels locking in the wrong position.

Two causes for the misaligned front wheels have been found.

A problem with misaligned wheels on a 1999 America West flight into Columbus, Ohio, was caused by a faulty seal on a valve. That design flaw had been known before the flight because of a previous incident and had been the subject of an advisory to airlines using the Airbus 320 planes. The fix had not yet been made on the aircraft involved in the emergency landing. After the flight, federal safety officials issued an order that required the repair.

Crappy reporting....

Let's all face it, the reporters on all networks did a pizz-poor job of covering this incident.

Sure, they all gave adequate time to describing the LiveTV and all....but I didn't hear squat about the all-leather seats, extra leg room, ability to recline in the back row and the seat forward of the exit row, virtually unlimited snacks onboard, etc.

Yellow journalism, I say.

1-tacan-rule said:
Let's all face it, the reporters on all networks did a pizz-poor job of covering this incident.

Sure, they all gave adequate time to describing the LiveTV and all....but I didn't hear squat about the all-leather seats, extra leg room, ability to recline in the back row and the seat forward of the exit row, virtually unlimited snacks onboard, etc.

Yellow journalism, I say.

Don't forget the unlimited "Blue Chips"

I'm all for the "Buy American" thing, but a quick look at the parts content/point of assembly information on the window sticker of my wife's Honda Odyssey and my Honda Civic tells me that I have done the right thing by buying Japanese. Nothing (or at least not much) is just "Made in the USA" anymore

Maybe someone could tell me what the U.S. parts content percentage is on an Airbus A-320 ??? I'm betting there's a significant percentage of American parts and it's not out of the realm of possibility that this suspect nosewheel steering control unit is in fact American.

Food for thought...

bvt1151 said:
I wonder if JB's Mx outsourcing to South America has anything to do with this.

NO, NO. In a cost cutting move the airline gave the mx duties to the pilots on top of their laundy list of duties that also includes extensive janitorial duties.

But I also heard that the pilots are being hired from south of the boarder so either way works.

Latest resources

Back