• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

27000 to 7000 in 1 minute

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skiandsurf, nice Monday morning quarterbacking. They were unconscious until 7000 feet. I wonder how your response would have changed if they would have died. You are right on one thing, they are lucky to be alive.

Skiandsurf, nice Monday morning quarterbacking. They were unconscious until 7000 feet. I wonder how your response would have changed if they would have died. You are right on one thing, they are lucky to be alive.

I read the article again. It says that "the pilot depressurized the plane". The only reason that they were unconscious, is because THEY depressurized the plane. Not to mention that they didnt test their oxygen masks. Didnt we learn something about testing oxygen masks after the Payne Stewart accident.

Yeah, its easy for me to sit here on the computer and review this incident, but experience has taught me to "dont let a bad situation get worse". We used to have windshields on the CRJ crack all the time, and I dont recall anyone tearing off the tail.

The pilots, who were the only people on board, don't know what caused that, but they immediately depressurized the cabin.

"We were both worried the windshield would blow out. If that happened, we would be dead immediately,"

Okay, I will agree with you there. The windshield coming out of a king air, while not good, certainly should not be considered fatal. We do not know if they did not check the 02, but we do know that they stated that it did not work. Your probably right on with that one too.

Still though, they dug themselves out of a hole and stopped the links in the accident chain. Something has to be said for that.

However, so far the biggest mistake I have seen them make is actually talking to the media.

Last edited:
Yet another reason why most Kimg Air should never see altitude above 20,000

However, so far the biggest mistake I have seen them make is actually talking to the media.

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!

Folks, it's no secret that when it comes to aviation the general media knows NOTHING! Not talking to the media should be a subject taught to new student pilots as the fifth fundamental of flight.

Checklist

First of all, these guys are more than lucky. They were the recipient of divine intervention bordering on the miraculous IMHO.

Anybody have a copy of the Emer checklist for a BE200 handy? What does it say to do in the event of an inflight windshield problem. With regard to the preflight checklist, I can gaurantee it says to check the masks, etc...

I would say these guys deserve some credit for being able to fly this broken bird to a successful landing. O2 system function is something they will never again take for granted...

Congratulations gentlemen!

Anyone else remember when the wing broke off a King Air back in the 80's? The feds came out with a wing strap mod for certain versions. Wonder if a horizontal stab mod will follow this incident. Also, the article says something about the wings being bent. Any pictures out there of the entire aircraft?

Last edited:
First of all, these guys are more than lucky. They were the recipient of divine intervention bordering on the miraculous IMHO.

Anybody have a copy of the Emer checklist for a BE200 handy? What does it say to do in the event of an inflight windshield problem. With regard to the preflight checklist, I can gaurantee it says to check the masks, etc...

I would say these guys deserve some credit for being able to fly this broken bird to a successful landing. O2 system function is something they will never again take for granted...

Congratulations gentlemen!

Anyone else remember when the wing broke off a King Air back in the 80's? The feds came out with a wing strap mod for certain versions. Wonder if a horizontal stab mod will follow this incident. Also, the article says something about the wings being bent. Any pictures out there of the entire aircraft?

Oh, and I forgot to add, "There but for the Grace of God go I." Hope I did not sound overly critical of what they did. Not what I intended in that post.

Again, congratulations on the feat of airmanship in landing that aircraft in the crippled condition it was in, and take those lessons learned with you as you get back in the air. I would fly with either of you anytime. Great job.

Amazing video! http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1244047#post1244047

Last edited:
Forget all that, I think it's pretty scary being only at FL 270, and having that kind of trouble breathing that quickly! Time to revamp the time of useful conciousness chart.

Latest resources

Back