250 below 10000

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
You do know, though, don't you, that anyone still reading this thread is just laughing thier @sses off at what a fool you're making of yourself?

...Or shaking their head in disbelief. I hate being stuck in the cockpit with a guy who can't admit when he's wrong.

Throw in the towel, spngbob. You lose. Please accept it gracefully.

Last edited:
Resocha said:
I hate being stuck in the cockpit with a guy who can't admit when he's wrong.

Fortunately, we're not stuck in the cockpit with him. It is a little fascinating in a sick sort of way. Kind of like watching a street derlict yelling at his imaginary enemies.

spongebob,

Answer this one question. It's yes or no. Did you read the docket from the federal register I posted which says in plain english that ATC does not have the authority to waive 91.117(a)?

A Squared said:
spongebob,

Answer this one question. It's yes or no. Did you read the docket from the federal register I posted which says in plain english that ATC does not have the authority to waive 91.117(a)?

Apparently not... :laugh:

You're right

I guess since 91.117(d) is clearly specified in that Docket No. 24456; Amendment No. 91-233, as you have provided, and since 91.117(d) clearly covers *any* "operation", as defined before, and ATC in itself must NOT and can NOT be considered an "operation", since, according to FAR 1.1 it is only a service "operated" by approprate authority, you are right. Clearly, the act of "operating" or causing to be "operated" the service of Air Traffic Control by persons cannot be considered in itself to result in "an operation" of that service, so 91.117(d)..*any* operation..., is unequivocally included in Docket No. 24456; Amendment No. 91-233, which prevents that operation of the service of Air Traffic Control from being considered by definition "an operation".

And 91.117(d) clearly states only the pilot may determine the "minimum safe speed" for *any* "particular operation", and allows only the pilot to define and interpret 91.117(d), "..particular operation...", according to his and only his need, for what is granted by the authority of 91.117(d).

Last edited:
If you call ground control and say, "Ready to taxi and I lost my medical." And GC says, "Taxi to runway 36." Are you legal to go? Of course not. So ATC can not authorize rule breaking, and therefore they can not authorize speeds over 250 below 10,000. You may exceed 250k below 10,000 but only if there is some kind of official waiver in the regs or some approved document somewhere for that special airspace or airplane. ATC does not have the authority to allow anyone to break the rules unless the reg says itself says they can. And then it's not rule breaking or allowing a waiver.

Last edited:
spngbobsqrpilot said:
I guess since 91.117(d) is clearly specified in that Docket No. 24456; Amendment No. 91-233, as you have provided, and since 91.117(d) clearly covers *any* "operation", as defined before, and ATC in itself must NOT and can NOT be considered an "operation", since, according to FAR 1.1 it is only a service "operated" by approprate authority, you are right. Clearly, the act of "operating" or causing to be "operated" the service of Air Traffic Control by persons cannot be considered in itself to result in "an operation" of that service, so 91.117(d)..*any* operation..., is unequivocally included in Docket No. 24456; Amendment No. 91-233, which prevents that operation of the service of Air Traffic Control from being considered by definition "an operation".

And 91.117(d) clearly states only the pilot may determine the "minimum safe speed" for *any* "particular operation", and allows only the pilot to define and interpret 91.117(d), "..particular operation...", according to his and only his need, for what is granted by the authority of 91.117(d).

Your logic is sound but your understanding is inaccurate. Simply quoting regulation does not answer the question, as regulation is subject to interpretation, as provided in the numerous examples.

DX Jake said:
XTW said:
If you are more than 12 miles offshore, let 'er rip baby!

Very true... there is an FAR that I read a while back that exempts the 250 blo 10k rule if you are over water. I know LAX has this waiver when taking off to the west. Once the aircraft has reached a certain point beyond the shoreline, socal dep will usually increase speed on the loop4 dep.

anybody have any details on this waiver at LAX?

penguin22 said:
DX Jake said:
anybody have any details on this waiver at LAX?

There is no "waiver" that I know of, only the basic regulation which does not apply over international waters, that is: past the 12 mile limit. It used to be 3 miles to international airspace/waters but got changed some years ago. We could go like the devil towards MIA or away from LAX in those days. <grin>

Latest resources

Back