• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2013 L-CAL System Bid Out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But hang on to the idea the 737's were parked because of the RJ's..

April 2008 CAL backs out of Merger

June 2008 UAL announces parking 100 jets

Jan 2009 CAL enters Start Alliance

May 2010 CAL/UAL Merger announced

Last edited:
But hang on to the idea the 737's were parked because of the RJ's..

Not a problem.

Idea: How about we skip this debate and talk about this bid and what the next might be like? Where can a sCAL pilot view the sUAL staffing info? How about the monthly schedules? I would like to know the what the junior sUAL 777 bases are? Whats the average UAL longevity it takes to hold non-bunkie widebody FO?

Last edited:
Not a problem.

Idea: How about we skip this debate and talk about this bid and what the next might be like? Where can a sCAL pilot view the sUAL staffing info? How about the monthly schedules? I would like to know the what the junior sUAL 777 bases are? Whats the average UAL longevity it takes to hold non-bunkie widebody FO?
Flying Together,
My Department,
Subsidiary United Flight Operations Skynet,
"Bases" for seniority lists OR "sUA Bidding Line Awards" for what seniority can hold

Last edited:
Not a problem.

I'll get that for you.

June 04, 2008|By Julie Johnsson, TRIBUNE REPORTER

United Airlines is expected to ground dozens of its least-fuel-efficient aircraft, including Boeing 747 jumbo jets, as part of a sweeping round of cuts intended to help the carrier conserve cash and survive as a stand-alone company in daunting times.

The Chicago-based airline intensified planning for the initiative as it cooled on a potential merger with US Airways in mid-May, say people familiar with its plans. United is expected to announce the cuts as early as Wednesday.

With the economy in a downdraft, capital constraints have made large-scale mergers largely unfeasible, forcing carriers like United to seek other ways to cut capacity in an effort to gain sufficient pricing power to cover rising fuel costs.

United plans to retire the workhorses of its domestic fleet: 94 decades-old Boeing 737 jets, single-aisle planes that seat up to 123 passengers and cover medium-range distances, say people close to the company.

Doing so would eliminate more than 20 percent of the 460 aircraft in United's fleet, likely leading to job reductions, sources said. The airline is in talks with its unions about ways to soften the blow, including offering workers special leaves of absence.

United already had planned to ground all of its 30 Boeing 737-500s, which seat just 108 passengers but burn as much fuel as the larger, narrow-body jets that it uses for flights within North America.

But the nation's second-largest carrier also will phase out the 64 Boeing 737-300s that it operates, the oldest jets in its fleet, which have an average age approaching 20 years, sources said.

"Aging goes hand in hand with fuel inefficiency," said aviation consultant Robert Mann, president of R.W. Mann & Co. "At these fuel prices, more and more of the domestic network is uneconomic."

While the price of crude oil has fallen 8 percent, to $124, from peak May prices, fuel costs still pose a threat to the airline industry's viability, analysts said. Also worrying is a drop in passenger demand that will make it difficult for carriers to raise prices without additional capacity cuts.

United Airlines said Tuesday that May traffic declined by 4.1 percent, while its load factor, or percentage of seats filled, weakened to 82.6 percent from 84.6 percent a year ago.

"Airlines have only the cash on hand and the time still on the clock to fix these problems," Mann said. "It's definitely self-help time. If they're not going to do it through consolidation or collective capacity cuts, they have to do it themselves."

This is company spin. What else could they possibly say. Do you really believe all the crap that either UAL or CAL or practically any other company puts out?

This is company spin. What else could they possibly say. Do you really believe all the crap that either UAL or CAL or practically any other company puts out?

But Sismek's CAL doom quote in front of Congress is a valid statement of course? According to countless UAL guys it might as well be gospel. Yep go spin that some more.

Btw enough with the Star Alliance cr@p. We joined Star after DAL merged and months of flirting with Oneworld. All sorts of conspiracy there! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have not seen any better hotels since this merger and I don't like the 14 hr rule requiring a downtown hotel either, much rather it stay the same... I don't want to be spending an hour each way of my 15 hr layover in a van

I completely agree with you on this...

Yes, I like the trigger where it is now... I think it's 18 or maybe 20 hrs, but I really never do long layovers, I'd rather have my time at home

...and this!

Delusional.

For sure.

I'll get that for you.

Much appreciated! Honestly, I have not done too much sniffing around the UAL staffing (I'm going to toss out the old list as soon as they give us the new one), but it might be a good idea to see where I might be as FO...

Flying Together,
My Department,
Subsidiary United Flight Operations Skynet,
"Bases" for seniority lists OR "sUA Bidding Line Awards" for what seniority can hold

Thanks! Didn't realize we had access to that. Just looked over some of it. Holy crap this is going to be a big airline.

Latest resources

Back