Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TAZ MAN said:
A little new to this game eh kernal?

They are cities. Stations are something you had in the army.

Just trying to help.

Of course you are....but hey, I'll take all the help I can get....from someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

I've never been in the Army, sorry. And in the USAF, it was known that I would never be a kernal, no matter how desperate they got.

However, in my 24+ year airline career, I have had numerous discussions with Station Managers, and I have also had to call Base Managers, to have them send my favorite F/A a message.

For your edification, in the Army, they are referred to as "Posts" or "Fort". As in "Fort" Sam Houston, or "Fort" Knox, Ky. Or, "what is your post?" Meaning, where should you be?

You down wit dat?

Tejas

Southwest Wants To Triple Number Of DIA Flights

FAA Must First Approve Airline's Expansion Plans

POSTED: 3:40 pm MDT April 25, 2006
UPDATED: 4:13 pm MDT April 25, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story
DENVER -- Discount-carrier Southwest Airlines may soon triple its number of flights out of Denver International Airport and that could mean lower-priced flights from other carriers as well.
However, Southwest still needs government approval to expand operations in Denver. They want to add cities like Houston, Orlando, Fla., Nashville, Tenn., and Oakland, Calif., to their daily schedule.
If it all goes through, flight prices to those cities from other airlines should drop, analysts said. The competition has helped lower prices significantly since Southwest began service in January. During the first week of April, for instance, fares at DIA were down 18 percent from a year earlier, even as ticket prices nationally were on the upswing.
Southwest currently has 20 nonstop departures from Denver but if the Federal Aviation Administration approves it, there could be as many as 60 daily nonstop departures from Denver. Southwest has said all along that it sees significant potential in Denver, and industry experts have been expecting Southwest to expand in the city sooner rather than later

Its just a click and paste BABY!!! Nothing else. Looks like those turkeys made the wrong decision (if based on commute).

Its just a click and paste BABY!!! Nothing else.

Still, he said, Southwest faces a tough battle in Denver. Both United and Frontier, the city's largest carriers, are fighting aggressively for passengers and are well-known in Denver. Boyd also argues that, price being equal, those two carriers offer a better product than Southwest.

"The last time I checked, Southwest was not included on the tablets Moses brought down from Mount Sinai," Boyd said. "So there's no guarantee they will be successful."

"The last time I checked, Southwest was not included on the tablets Moses brought down from Mount Sinai," Boyd said. "So there's no guarantee they will be successful."

I have read it...but this is what I'm hearing - "There is no way Southwest will fail in Denver."

sluggo said:
Boyd also argues that, price being equal, those two carriers offer a better product than Southwest.

And the last seed can't win the Super Bowl.

I would guess there are maybe 5000 pilots at southwest. 2/5000X100=.04%. There are currently 46 now 47 posts. Draw some conclusions before going to bed.

If Southwest gets heavies, as the other guys have pointed out, it would hurt much of the cost-saving associated with a common fleet. Training, maintenance, spares, all screw through the roof. I'd be shocked if SWA pursued a heavy or two.

Given that, there is much profitability to be pursued via real long haul to Europe, SA, and Asia. At some point, the CONUS will be saturated, if it's not already, and SWA can look only to international ops for continued expansion of its route structure.

Latest resources

Back