• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1500 Hours required to be in an airine cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"(d) Credit Toward Flight Hours- The Administrator may allow specific academic training courses, beyond those required under subsection (b)(2), to be credited toward the total flight hours required under subsection (c). The Administrator may allow such credit based on a determination by the Administrator that allowing a pilot to take specific academic training courses will enhance safety more than requiring the pilot to fully comply with the flight hours requirement."

Don't inject more than what's written. There is no mention of what academic courses will be credited or how. The stage is set for us to influence what gets approved. This is OUR government, stop the "puppy mill" negativity and get involved. Start simple; write your congressman a quick note or ask your respective union representation to take an active role.

In other news...

http://avstop.com/news_july_2010/massive_mobilization_of_aviation_labor_organizations.htm

"(d) Credit Toward Flight Hours- The Administrator may allow specific academic training courses, beyond those required under subsection (b)(2), to be credited toward the total flight hours required under subsection (c). The Administrator may allow such credit based on a determination by the Administrator that allowing a pilot to take specific academic training courses will enhance safety more than requiring the pilot to fully comply with the flight hours requirement."

Don't inject more than what's written. There is no mention of what academic courses will be credited or how. The stage is set for us to influence what gets approved. This is OUR government, stop the "puppy mill" negativity and get involved. Start simple; write your congressman a quick note or ask your respective union representation to take an active role.

In other news...

http://avstop.com/news_july_2010/massive_mobilization_of_aviation_labor_organizations.htm

Actually, you need to wait for the Notice of Proposed Rule Making. Then you get your chance to submit your comments. The agencies read these and then formulate the Final Rules.

Laws are enacted, but it is up to the agencies to promulgate rules to guide the enforcement of the laws. Before they can issue the rules, they have to put out a Notice of Proposed Rule Making. We all get a window in which to comment. That's how we get to have a say in how the final rules are created.

You mean like the Age-65 Law (rule) that was passed on 12/22 and went into effect 12/23?

NOT like Age 65. Congress got tired of the FAA doing nothing, and took over.

In this case, Congress gave the FAA specific dates (1 year for Rest/Duty/Flight changes), 3 years for ATP/1500 hours. If the FAA cannot make this timeline, I am 99% sure that Congress will enact the legislation, just like they did for the Age 65 stuff.

I am happy about the 1y for the rest requirement changes. I was expecting something much longer. This will help furloughed guys hopefully by this time next year. I think the rest rules (as long they don't get trimmed) will have a much bigger impact on hiring all across the industry. The 1500h really only impacts the regionals and the CFI market.

It's in there....doesn't go into effect for 3 years.....and ATP requirements to change so as to substitute Classroom study for X amount of hours......so Pilot mills still safe...
You read it correctly, but you'll be able to get an ATP with less than 1500 hours if you go to a puppy mill. Typical gooobermit lip service BS!

I would guess that only ABBI accredited four year institutions will be allowed to substitute hours.

And in addition the 1500 hours can not be flight instructor time but in difficult operational conditions.

(2) FLIGHT HOURS IN DIFFICULT OPERATIONAL CONDITIONS- The total flight hours required by the Administrator under subsection (b)(1) shall include sufficient flight hours, as determined by the Administrator, in difficult operational conditions that may be encountered by an air carrier to enable a pilot to operate safely in such conditions.

Not that certain instructing environments are not in difficult operational conditions, I doubt that all 1500 hours will be required to be in such conditions anyways.

Oh, crap. I don't have an instrument rating on my ATP!

:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing.

Does this mean Gulfstream has to stop operating B1900s w/ 20 passengers?

That's awesome! They will probably just convert their 121 certificate into part 135.

NOT like Age 65. Congress got tired of the FAA doing nothing, and took over.

In this case, Congress gave the FAA specific dates (1 year for Rest/Duty/Flight changes), 3 years for ATP/1500 hours. If the FAA cannot make this timeline, I am 99% sure that Congress will enact the legislation, just like they did for the Age 65 stuff.

I've been reading through the legislation and am still trying to understand...

So if someone's under 1,500 hrs right now, there's a 3 year period in which they could maybe get a 121 job before this law takes effect? At which point it would then be 1,500 hours to get hired.

That is how I understand it, BUT NO GRANDFATHER clause. So, if hired in 2 years with 500 hours, at 3 year point, if say, 500 hours, you are done and can't fly for your airline any more until back up to ATP (easier to say ATP as that IS required, and 1500 may be higher/lower, but ATP regardless).

Latest resources

Back