• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1500 Hours required to be in an airine cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Once again we find that our all-knowing and omnipotent federal government can't get anything right.

This should have been a one-liner in CFR 14, part 121:
"All flight crew members must hold, at least a multi-engine Airline Transport Pilot license and instrument rating."

Plain, simple, unambiguous, effective.

But congress just can't seem to get past themselves. They always have to turn a simple solution into a monumental, ambiguous, cluster mess.

I can't wait for them to handle my healthcare.

Once again we find that our all-knowing and omnipotent federal government can't get anything right.

"All flight crew members must hold, at least a multi-engine Airline Transport Pilot license and instrument rating."

But congress just can't seem to get past themselves. They always have to turn a simple solution into a monumental, ambiguous, cluster mess.

I can't wait for them to handle my healthcare.

Ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Barriers to entry!

1500 hours required or $200k. The Multi-pilot License will be given credit to qualify for "MPL" ATP. Cost will drastically increased. 250 hours in Level D Full Motion simulators at $500 an hour would be $125k for simulator time alone. MPL programs would cost over $200k at a puppy mill.

And in addition the 1500 hours can not be flight instructor time but in difficult operational conditions.

(2) FLIGHT HOURS IN DIFFICULT OPERATIONAL CONDITIONS- The total flight hours required by the Administrator under subsection (b)(1) shall include sufficient flight hours, as determined by the Administrator, in difficult operational conditions that may be encountered by an air carrier to enable a pilot to operate safely in such conditions.

The bar has been raised. The hiring frenzy of unqualified pilots will stop. And the reward of pay from the airlines for new hires will increase as a result of their professional qualities and credentials.

Sure would be nice if it were true. I seriously doubt, however, that this will change anything.

First, there are a lot of 'to be determined by the administrator' phrases in here. The assumption is that Babbitt (or any future administrator) will do the right thing. Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. He presides over the agency whose collective failure led to this legislation in the first place. For all I know, he may WANT to do the right thing, but likely doesn't have the authority needed for significant change. I can tell you from experience that the corruption all the way up the chain at the FAA is beyond obscene. IMHO, many current and former FAA folks should be in jail.

It's all about supply and demand. If demand is there but supply isn't, you can bet the powers-that-be will find a way to manipulate this law to free up supply.

Remember the golden rule - He Who Has the Gold, Makes the Rules

You Debbie Downers need to read more and type less. This is the most significant progress made in our profession in decades.

It's in there....doesn't go into effect for 3 years.....and ATP requirements to change so as to substitute Classroom study for X amount of hours......so Pilot mills still safe...
With the loophole for Freshmen playing with cardboard cut outs of RJ's running outdated versions of Micrsoft flight simulator under the supervision of Sophomores this bill does not mean a whole lot.

yeah, what he said

Latest resources

Back