135 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lrjtcaptain

If an 135 operator doesn't have an FAA designated callsign for their flight, are they required under current 135 rules to file as a TN12345? If so, where is it in the FARAIM

AIM Paragraph 4-2-4; FAA Order 8400.10; and RADIO COMMUNICATIONS PHRASEOLOGY AND TECHNIQUES - FAA-P-8740-47 all state something to the effect of
4. Air Taxi or other commercial operators not having FAA authorized call signs should prefix their normal identification with the phonetic word "Tango."
EXAMPLE -
Tango Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.
Nothing I can find says anything specifically about "filing" Tango November, but that's how the 135 guys started flying before the rest of us after 9/11, and I've heard it on the radio more often since then than I did before.

Fly safe!

David

AngelKing said:
I believe that started back during the Reagan controller strike days. But, I can't remember yesterday, so don't quote me on it.

ak

I can't say whether that's when it started, but I do agree that it was around a long time before 9/11. It gained some popularity after 9/11 in that period when 135 flights were the only GA flights allowed.

I always thought it meant "air Taxi". I base that on nothing but raw assumption. Hazy memory seems to remember it being in existance before the '81 strike, but I'm not sure.

I did learn something though. In my book:

3. Air taxi and commercial operators not having FAA authorized call signs. State the prefix "TANGO" on initial contact, if used by the pilot, followed by the registration number. The prefix may be dropped in subsequent communications.

I don't have to use it after the first exchange. Hmmm, that kinds of begs the question, "why does it exist at all?" I don't know - makes absolutely no difference from an ATC standpoint, whether "Tango" or not.

I'll be interested if anyone can shed light on this one.

Hold West said:
I always thought it meant "air Taxi". I base that on nothing but raw assumption. Hazy memory seems to remember it being in existance before the '81 strike, but I'm not sure.

I did learn something though. In my book:

3. Air taxi and commercial operators not having FAA authorized call signs. State the prefix "TANGO" on initial contact, if used by the pilot, followed by the registration number. The prefix may be dropped in subsequent communications.

I don't have to use it after the first exchange. Hmmm, that kinds of begs the question, "why does it exist at all?" I don't know - makes absolutely no difference from an ATC standpoint, whether "Tango" or not.

I'll be interested if anyone can shed light on this one.

I do not have anything to back up my statement, besides just hear say. I wanted to thank you for teaching me something though, I did not know it could be ommited on subsequent communications. Can you give me the Ref book and where you found that? I'll pass it along to our CP.

Last edited:
Hold West said:
I always thought it meant "air Taxi". [/COLOR]

I think that this is correct, or at least it makes more sense than "temporary". Temporary what? I know some pretty permenant 135 operations that use it, and have for many years.

Way2broke, I'm guessing "his book" is the ATC handbook, FAA order 7110.65

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/

What I have always been told is that T is for temporary. Temporary because the idea is that you are only using the TN12345 call sign while you wait for your permenant call sign to be approved. Either way both ideas make since to me and it is probably not in a book anywhere so it really does not matter. One of thos "whatever makes you happy" things. Kindove like the NDB service volumes; nowhere does it say what MH, H, or HH stands for. The only one that is defined is a compass locator. (AIM 1-1-8, table 1-2-2) Although I have always been TOLD that they stand for Medium High, High, and High High. Like that makes any since! I want some of what that guy was smokin!

If I am wrong I will be more than happy to admit to it because I have no source for the temporary, its just what I was told in training. I was also told a bunch of other stuff that has proven to be hog wash too.

Where at in the ATC book can I find what he looked up? I'd like to print it out and take it in. And if we can find where it says "Air Taxi" I'd love to take that in too!

I'm always up for learning new things! I just like to have a source instead of hear-say so that I avoid situations exactly like this one.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back