• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

135 Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah i think it means air taxi. We use it all the time when we have folks on board. I know we are not trying to get a call sign from the faa so I dont think it means temp. but I could be wrong

Well I had heard through the grape vine that post 9/11 it was a requirment for all 135 operators to either operate with an FAA approaved callsign or file it as a TN12345. I only ask because we are not counting correctly if this is the case because our idiot 135 operators don't file it under a TN, just N, and we as controllers need to know, are you a GA, Air Taxi, Air career ect.....Just wondering if 135's should be flying under TN

Hold West said:
I don't have to use it after the first exchange. Hmmm, that kinds of begs the question, "why does it exist at all?" I don't know - makes absolutely no difference from an ATC standpoint, whether "Tango" or not.

I'll be interested if anyone can shed light on this one.
Theoretically it would explain to the controllers why you're doing some of those stupid things that are required under 135, like filing to an airport that you have no intention of landing at, that sort of thing ;)

Fly safe!

David

Lrjtcaptain said:
and we as controllers need to know, are you a GA, Air Taxi, Air career ect.....Just wondering if 135's should be flying under TN

Why do you need to know? What would you do differently in handling a Tango aircraft than the same type aircaft flown by a private individual for his own purposes?

Tie goes to the Tango November aircraft in terms of ATC handling. So I have heard. However, that has not been my experience. I could be Tango, Life Guard, or on fire and I would still be last in line.

We file TN in GRR all the time. I've spent some time up in their tower visiting and they like to see 135 ops file that way because they can count you as a commercial operator using their service. When the tower does the count at the end of the night, (counting Air Carrier, Commercial Operator, GA) the Air Carriers and Commercial Operators have more weight in the count than does GA. Why do they keep track? Better stats recieve better pay scales for that tower facility. This info is directly from the tower manager in GRR who owns the FBO that we're based at.

135 ops of course don't have to file that way. I never did until I visited the tower. The AIM only recommends it and for that very reason, stats. It doesn't say it's REQUIRED, only that 135's "should" file TN. When I started filing TN, I did notice more priority handeling. Getting direct more and more often in my clearences instead of some BS airways/fixes that make my life hell. Your priority will in the end be determined by your type of a/c, some are slower than others.

If you're a Life Guard you would file LN12345. That WILL give you priority.

Having operated under 135 on the first day flights were allowed after Sept. 11th, I can tell you that the Tango prefix was REQUIRED to be used in lieu of a callsign for 135 operators, as people stated before. After 91 operations were in full swing again the need for this Tango thing was obviously unnecessary. Hence why 95% of operators don't use it anymore.

I think I may have repeated what others said, but thats my 2 cents.

CaptainSpaz said:
Having operated under 135 on the first day flights were allowed after Sept. 11th, I can tell you that the Tango prefix was REQUIRED to be used in lieu of a callsign for 135 operators, as people stated before. After 91 operations were in full swing again the need for this Tango thing was obviously unnecessary. Hence why 95% of operators don't use it anymore.

I think I may have repeated what others said, but thats my 2 cents.

Not to be repetitive, but... TN.. has been in the AIM for quite awhile(recommended, hardly ever used). I understood it to mean "air Taxi". TN had to be used after 9/11 to be allowed in the airspace. It is not necessarily indicating the operator is waiting for a registered callsign (we will never have one). It was in a FDC notam. Helps ATC know that you probably aren't going to accept a LAHSO or why you have to use different minimums/procedures. Probably may help airport authorities with their traffic counts. Could be helpful in future with changing TSA/resticted airspace procedures. Gives the FAA ramp inspectors a heads up...doh!

Texanflyboy said:
We file TN in GRR all the time. I've spent some time up in their tower visiting and they like to see 135 ops file that way because they can count you as a commercial operator using their service. When the tower does the count at the end of the night, (counting Air Carrier, Commercial Operator, GA) the Air Carriers and Commercial Operators have more weight in the count than does GA. Why do they keep track? Better stats recieve better pay scales for that tower facility. This info is directly from the tower manager in GRR who owns the FBO that we're based at.

135 ops of course don't have to file that way. I never did until I visited the tower. The AIM only recommends it and for that very reason, stats. It doesn't say it's REQUIRED, only that 135's "should" file TN. When I started filing TN, I did notice more priority handeling. Getting direct more and more often in my clearences instead of some BS airways/fixes that make my life hell. Your priority will in the end be determined by your type of a/c, some are slower than others.

If you're a Life Guard you would file LN12345. That WILL give you priority.

Texanflyboy hit the nail on the head as to why the Tower wants to know if you are 135 or 91. More funding for their airport.

Latest resources

Back