• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

126 day left of Prater.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can't make the budget, then fix what you pay people.

The ALPA President should make the averge of the three LOWEST airlines, rather than the three highest, and eliminate all the perks.

That'd put some perspective in the office....

Nu

Exactly!
Where were these clowns when dudes were losing their pensions and taking enormous paycuts?!?! They were still living it up in 4/5 star hotels and feasting on 8 course meals on our backs. Instead of the usual $500k/yr, didn't Prater agree to keep his ALPA paycheck the same as he would a Continental captain in his seniority/equipment? That didn't happen! But then again, when was the last time that we had a real leader, let alone in this country?

In Praters defense....

He had the worst economic recession ever, a president who "won't allow airline strikes on my watch", an industry that turned to a judge instead of solving their own problems........

Yes, but that can also create opportunity. Pendulems swing. He should have ALPA better positioned to capture increase now. But he can't, because he traded every bit of ALPA's real political capital for age 65. He hasn't gotten anything done since then.

He just needs to go back to the line. I kind of like Moak, but I think he wants to be an airline CEO.... Jay Pierce would be good but we really need him at CAL/UAL>

Yes, but that can also create opportunity. Pendulems swing. He should have ALPA better positioned to capture increase now. But he can't, because he traded every bit of ALPA's real political capital for age 65. He hasn't gotten anything done since then.

He just needs to go back to the line. I kind of like Moak, but I think he wants to be an airline CEO.... Jay Pierce would be good but we really need him at CAL/UAL>

Looks like ALPA is just DAL and UAL with FEDEX. And mostly regionals and some international carriers.

Under his watch, AirTran is now ALPA. Although some of my fellow pilots might disagree, it has been a night and day difference from our in house union to ALPA.

Please don't give him the credit for that. Far too many AirTran pilots, ALPA staffers, and ALPA volunteers from other airlines worked their tails off to make that happen. They are the reason that we have been so successful at turning things around as a new ALPA carrier, not the current ALPA President.

I have been known to defend John quite frequently, and many people here have even claimed that I'm somehow on his "payroll." Nothing could be further from the truth. I've defended John because he has been our President. Like it or not, he's the guy that we've had for nearly four years. To attack him and demean him over these past few years would have been counter-produtive to accomplishing our goals as a profession. But the time has come for a change. This just isn't working. We need an ALPA President who knows how Washington works. We need an ALPA President who knows how things work at ICAO and at IFALPA. We need an ALPA President who knows how to keep pilots together, instead of watching them flee the Association like a bunch of rats fleeing a sinking ship. We've lost thousands of active members over the past four years. Thousands! We've lost them not only due to furlough (caused mainly by Age 65, his pet project), but also due to poor leadership that has resulted in the loss of three carriers to decertification, including a legacy carrier.

This is not a record to be proud of, guys. And despite this, his campaign letter is a veritable trumpeting of "stay the course." I'm sorry, but staying the course is not a valid option. Time for something new. Time for someone who knows what they're doing. Time for someone with some real experience.

Paul Rice announced his candidacy for ALPA President a couple of weeks ago. He is, without question, the best candidate for the job. He has the knowledge, experience, and temperament to lead this union back to a position of strength. Please tell your reps to cast a vote for Paul in October.

PCL: I agree with everything you've said. But I think there will be one other candidate throw in for this from a freight carrier we should take a look at.

PCL: I agree with everything you've said. But I think there will be one other candidate throw in for this from a freight carrier we should take a look at.

Are you talking about their current MEC Chair? If so, I'd disagree. If not, please send a PM.

Couldn't agree more with the original poster. Prater is a spineless political slug, and he's not done anything to write home about. Age 65 came to us with no creative solutions to help the junior pilot at any airline. His handling of the USAir merger was pathetic, no matter which side of that fence you sit on.

Good luck to all ALPA pilots finding a true leader to replace him. It will do the profession good if you can pull it off. (Rice ain't the answer, IMO)

Couldn't agree more with the original poster. Prater is a spineless political slug, and he's not done anything to write home about. Age 65 came to us with no creative solutions to help the junior pilot at any airline. His handling of the USAir merger was pathetic, no matter which side of that fence you sit on.

Good luck to all ALPA pilots finding a true leader to replace him. It will do the profession good if you can pull it off. (Rice ain't the answer, IMO)
He tried to ******************** us on the west, and then pissed the east off when he couldn't do anything for them, minus the west just flat out rolling over. What a guy.

Latest resources

Back