• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 to corporate - what's the secret?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LXJ31 & Gulfstream 200 - excellent points!!! Thank you for the thoughtful respones and they make sense. I agree with everything you said. I've seen good people miss jobs though because they were labled ABCD when in fact they were likely better pilots and people than half of the crews at the outfit in the first place! Still - you make excellent points. Thanks!

AZT

AZ Typed said:
I've seen good people miss jobs though because they were labled ABCD when in fact they were likely better pilots and people than half of the crews at the outfit in the first place!

AZT

Oh yeah, I don't think this trait will take you very far.

But, hey, I'm just some crazy internet guy, what do I know?

LXJ31 said:
Oh yeah, I don't think this trait will take you very far.

But, hey, I'm just some crazy internet guy, what do I know?

LXJ31 - I wasn't trying to shoot anyone down. It's just something I've observed. It happens at 121, 91, 135, and in every job in the world. I play politics, but I, like many people in a workplace, see questionable decisions made with regard to hiring. That's all I'm saying - nothing else. Jack Welch says that HR is the most underfunded and under-resourced department in any company because of the dumb hiring decisonis made. He's got a point, as this thread has discussed.

AZT

My wife read our posts and said I was being a jerk too. I clearly read the nuance wrong on your post, sorry about that.

But that site is pretty damn funny though, right?

LXJ31 said:
My wife read our posts and said I was being a jerk too. I clearly read the nuance wrong on your post, sorry about that.

But that site is pretty dang funny though, right?

I already saw that website because...

I'M BETTER THAN YOU!!!

;)

Let's all remember that dropping the "let's 410 it, dude" could easily be replaced with not "de-icing our challenger, geez, it's only colorado in the winter." Or pick your accident.........we all say stupid sounding things once in a while.........I digress

Having been lucky enough to get out of the airlines and into corp. myself I can say that it was mainly the OLD relationships that I had that lead the job to me(fell right in my lap). Never piss anybody off unless you really, really mean it.

Also, having heard it a number of times, it's the generally bad attitude that most airline pilots have that keeps them out of corp. We all do it, but airline pilots are renowned for their propensity to bitch. Especially about throwing a bag or just being the hired help.

That having been said, my new flight department seems to be pretty quick to appreciate my level of experience from doing 90 hours a month in crap weather in jets for a couple of years.

So what all this means is that you have to shake hands and do lunches whenever possible. Offer to do some fill in work and call in sick to the airline gig if you have to..........let them know you're not just another airline punk. And if you are.......DON'T TRY TO FOOL THEM.

While on coffee break at various Flight Safety training events, I've heard and had many conversations with corporate DOs, CPs, etc. going into verbose tirades about how selfish airline pilots are with their anti-company mentality and that being the primary reason their resumes get tossed.

Quality and quantity of time are always qualifying concerns when hiring pilots. So are character (read work ethic) and personality, to name two. That proves many responses in this thread that a good word from a friend or colleague can go far to dispell any "airline stink" from a resume and get the right attention from a hiring manager.

Tailwinds...

In defense of airline pilots--having been there and done that--the attitude problem is a byproduct of the system. At the airlines a pilot is an easily replaceable number. Dumping you just let's the company replace you with someone several years' longevity cheaper.

I had my guard up at first on this side of the fence, too. When I realized I was an individual and not a number my attitude changed.

I think airline pilots for the most part would come around if exposed to this less adversarial culture we enjoy.

It is refreshing to have a boss who never questions your integrity. He knows I am honest because he knows me--he doesn't have to glance at my ID to know who I am.

Last edited:
LegacyDriver said:
In defense of airline pilots--having been there and done that--the attitude problem is a byproduct of the system. At the airlines a pilot is an easily replaceable number. Dumping you just let's the company replace you with someone several years' longevity cheaper.

I had my guard up at first on this side of the fence, too. When I realized I was an individual and not a number my attitude changed.

I think airline pilots for the most part would come around if exposed to this less adversarial culture we enjoy.

It is refreshing to have a boss who never questions your integrity. He knows I am honest because he knows me--he doesn't have to glance at my ID to know who I am.

Ditto. That's the major reason I am looking at getting out as well. Tired of the lack of professionalism on both sides.

Agree. Two very different jobs IMO. I am at a point where I'm more or less embarrassed to tell people I'm an airline pilot. The way I let myself be treated/compensated, not to mention the way we tend to treat our customers, here is embarrassing (and yes, my fault alone). I would like to find a good corporate job as well, where I'm valued for my experience, integrity and work ethic. I would have no problem with the customer service portions of the job (bags, drinks, making arrangements, etc) because it would be a position that includes those duties and I would have a chance to actually make a difference. That said, the very few nibbles I've had in the corp. world have been open about their general lack of enthusiasm for airline types so I'm not holding my breath, but I'll keep trying!

Latest resources

Back