121 to corporate - what's the secret?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cubiclehater

hey, just wondering what's the secret to breaking into corporate aviation? seems like the only way in is through connections. i have none unfortunately but really want in. seems like the way to go in aviation. i've been part of the 121 world for the last 8 months and am not impressed. i have just over 135 mins with 450 hrs ME turbine. do i have a chance? and if so, what can i do to get some attention? thanks.

Probaby the easiest and fastest way would be to get on with a 135 "on-demand" opertion. Now most of them (certanly not all) suck. But, this will put you in the right place...FBO's. From there, I would check out NBAA and get a list of the Fortune 500 company's in your area (or not if you don't mind moving). They all have corporate flight departments. Also, check out EJA, they like to hire airline types and they manage a whole bunch of big name company aircraft. What you really want eventually is a cushy part 91 gig (I have only flown two weekends in two years and I've had every holiday off plus no flying from before Christmas until after New Years). As you said, you have to know people for those. Good luck, it can be done.

I have found that line-guys are a great source of info about local flight departments. They know the type of operation, aircraft, and pilots, and they will (most times) give you an honest report. How a capt treats line guys says a lot about how he is to fly with.

good qualifications for decent jobs:

4-5000TT
A few type ratings
A little PIC time
Intl experience is valuable
college degree is the norm
a good internal rec' helps a lot.

FWIW - 121 SIC time does not carry much (ok..any) weight.

build a resume with as little airline concentration as possible.

Maybe corp outfits will hire airline folks, its not a show stopper by any means.

Gulfstream 200 said:
good qualifications for decent jobs:

4-5000TT
A few type ratings
A little PIC time
Intl experience is valuable
college degree is the norm
a good internal rec' helps a lot.

FWIW - 121 SIC time does not carry much (ok..any) weight.

build a resume with as little airline concentration as possible.

Maybe corp outfits will hire airline folks, its not a show stopper by any means.

I'm wading into the corp. waters as well, have all those qualifications, connections and it's still hard.

How much weight do you put on being at the right place at the right time factor?

Are there any Head hunters for Corp. flying anymore? The ones that do all the background checks, testing, etc... I thought there used to be one in the MSY area.

GO AROUND said:
I'm wading into the corp. waters as well, have all those qualifications, connections and it's still hard.

How much weight do you put on being at the right place at the right time factor?

Are there any Head hunters for Corp. flying anymore? The ones that do all the background checks, testing, etc... I thought there used to be one in the MSY area.
To use a little Yogi Berra math here, I think being at the right place at the right time is 90% of the battle, and the other 95% is having a buddy on the inside.

I have no connections anywhere, and I'm having a helluva time finding anything other than people willing to let me fly their 25 year old Learjets. Woe is me. ;)

The headhunter you're thinking of in MSY is Aviation Personnel International. Check them out at apiaviation.com. I think they're operating out of SFO now.

Emilfly said:
I have found that line-guys are a great source of info about local flight departments. They know the type of operation, aircraft, and pilots, and they will (most times) give you an honest report. How a capt treats line guys says a lot about how he is to fly with.

That is an excellent point, and is right on the mark.

Southern Company just hired a DAL pilot, don't know the particulars with respect to connections in this case. DAL pilots are crawling out of the woodwork around corporate hangers in Atlanta right now.

GO AROUND said:

no offense in the least, but certainly ratings in a few corp type aircraft help...having ratings in a J41, EMB120, or CL65 wont carry much weight. I personally think its fine - says to me a guy is a Captain, but people want to see corp types.

bottom line, build your resume to look NON-AIRLINE as much as possible.

I think location is a HUGE factor. You have to be where the jobs are - simply more chances. If there are 5 corp jets in your area as compared to 500 around say NY or LA (or wherever) it obvious you have a better chance..

good luck of course!

Send out a lot of resume's and update them regularly.

Pound on doors at the local airport.

When my (second) airline furloughed I hit every corporate operator in town. I eventually found one that brought me on as a fill-in SIC. Not only did the experience prove to me that corporate was the best way to go, it got Corporate EXPERIENCE into my resume' over airline stuff. That as much as anything helped land my current job.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back