• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 to corporate - what's the secret?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My 121 training and flight time taught me so much more than any 91 or 135 flying I've done. I dread flying in weather and busy airspace with some of the 135 folks I've flown with. That's not to say all 135/91 "stink" but the 121 guys seem to consitantly know the game better - yet the 121 experience is not valuable. What am I missing?

From my prespective, you are missing the point with regards to flying experience as the determining factor. In my opinion if I were looking to hire a corporate pilot at my Fortune 500 flight department I am looking for three things:

1) Can the applicant convey the image that I want? (yes, apperance matters)

2) Can the applicant get along with other members of the department? Given the small number of the pilot work group, it is essential to have people than can work together (unlike some of the airlines, there can be no "NO FLY" lists in corporate operations)

and finally,

3) Does the applicant have a good understanding of what exceptional customer service is?

As an example, you may be an exceptional pilot with above average flying qualifications, but if the boss gets on the plane and his tray table is dirty, or the lav stinks, or you forgot to call ahead to the FBO and make sure his transportation is available when he lands, the fact that he got from point A to point B on time won't matter much.

The point is, most any professional pilot can get the boss (or the masses) safely where he (they) need(s) to go. Fortune 500 Aviaiton Department Managers look for the pilots that take care of the customer service details. Easier said than done.

Latest resources

Back