121 to 135???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigDave

Has any regional pilots made the move from 121 to 135? I am looking at a possible position about 10min away from my house, twice the pay but on call 24/7. Most of the trips are day trips and you fly about 18 to 15 days a month. The 135 company has been around for 15 years and is well respected. Or I can stay at my regional where I have a three hour commute and have a very flexible schedule. I enjoy the 121 company I work for quit a bit, however I am concerned about that the future of our company. Anybody that can share his or her experiences doing something similar, please pass on.

Thanks

What do you want to be when you get done looking for the right job?

I just did... So far, so good.. The pay is the best part. Just make sure you're typed in something first, cuz non-typed pilots at 135 are a dime a dozen. And they can kick you to the curb in a heartbeat if they want to. I don't miss 121 at all. I was scared to leave the security of the airlines. But now I'm glad I don't have to deal with the craziness of downsizing, furloughs, paycuts, weird lifesucking management types, etc.

I made the switch 3 months ago from a 121FO to 135 Capt and have not looked back yet. I had an increase in pay, 12 minute drive to work, no security bs to go through, and have not had one overnight yet! Been going to different places, a lot of variety, and this job has put the fun back into flying. So far only miss the airline equipment but that has been all.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Ed.

I second what grandma said. If you're gonna bolt from the airline and go with a charter outfit, make sure you are captain qualified on the jet(s) you will fly.

If for some reason it doesn't work out, you sure don't want to be just another 'former airline guy' on the street.

Working for a reputable 135 company could be good or bad. I would certainly take the time to pick the brains of the pilots that currently work there. They'll give you good intel on the day to day workings.

Good luck

Maintenance and safety record would be forst and foremost on my mind. 135 operators don't receive the same amount of scrutiny as 121 passenger airlines. I don't know what company you are talking about so this post in no way is meant to imply they are unsafe or have poor maintenance practices. Those are just issues that would concern me. I left a 135 outfit out of safety concerns.

Be careful with the 24 hour call out thing. You must have 10(I think it is 10 hours of rest 135, but I am too lazy to look it up) PRECEDING a flight and on call is not considered rest by the FAA. I did 135 air ambulance before moving to 121 so it was not exactly corporate. Anyway, just a heads up.

BigDave said:
Has any regional pilots made the move from 121 to 135? I am looking at a possible position about 10min away from my house, twice the pay but on call 24/7. Most of the trips are day trips and you fly about 18 to 15 days a month. The 135 company has been around for 15 years and is well respected. Or I can stay at my regional where I have a three hour commute and have a very flexible schedule. I enjoy the 121 company I work for quit a bit, however I am concerned about that the future of our company. Anybody that can share his or her experiences doing something similar, please pass on.

Thanks

Achievement!

shelton said:
Be careful with the 24 hour call out thing. You must have 10(I think it is 10 hours of rest 135, but I am too lazy to look it up) PRECEDING a flight and on call is not considered rest by the FAA. I did 135 air ambulance before moving to 121 so it was not exactly corporate. Anyway, just a heads up.
135 regs are getting close to being changed. No more '10 hour lookback' crap.

BigDave...

I gave up 4+ years of seniority at Mesaba for a 135 outfit. It's not the greatest place in the world to work but the mx is excellent and I broke even on the pay. The schedule has been the hardest (no hard days off) but overall it's been enjoyable. As others have said, no TSA bs, FBO's are better than terminals, and the quality of hotels that I stay in is much higher. No more nights at the SleepInn in FNT!!!

It's definitely time to move on but I got the turbine pic that I needed, an ATP certificate, met my wife, and had some fun as well. Not a bad run in my book.

The 24/7 callout will drag after a while, so if you can, work out some hard days off. Even with no hard days off with me I would still occasionally get a stretch of 5,6, and sometimes 7 days off. I just couldn't plan to do anything.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back