• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 to 135???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I made the move and for me so far 135 is much better. Yes the lack of schedule days off suck, and being on call 24 hours a day sucks. But I get 4 hard days off a month and 4 soft(floating days) off a month. I am home most of the time and work an average of 15 days a month. Building PIC time too, which is important. Hope that helps!!

P.S.
Be careful each 135 outfit is different!!!!

4fanman said:
I gave up 4+ years of seniority at Mesaba for a 135 outfit. It's not the greatest place in the world to work but the mx is excellent and I broke even on the pay. The schedule has been the hardest (no hard days off) but overall it's been enjoyable. As others have said, no TSA bs, FBO's are better than terminals, and the quality of hotels that I stay in is much higher. No more nights at the SleepInn in FNT!!!

It's definitely time to move on but I got the turbine pic that I needed, an ATP certificate, met my wife, and had some fun as well. Not a bad run in my book.

The 24/7 callout will drag after a while, so if you can, work out some hard days off. Even with no hard days off with me I would still occasionally get a stretch of 5,6, and sometimes 7 days off. I just couldn't plan to do anything.

Hope this helps

Pretty much like me...I'll back up what 4fanman said. I left the regionals for 135. I'm currently doing the 91 with "some" 135. It's actually been more 135 than anything. I didnt fly for 7 days recently, but I wasn't OFF for 7 days. Basically stayed home and walked around with the cell phone even to the crapper. The pay is great, benefits are good, MX is excellent but the lack of schedule and hard days off will catch up at some point. Especially if you and the wife start making plans to go back to school and stuff like that. If you can find yourself a 135 gig that gives decent pay, good MX, bennies and atleast 4 hard days off.....135 work is not all that bad. But if you land a job where the owner bi+ches when you request 2 sundays off in a row and your CP or managing captain doesnt back you up, then you might as well keep you resume up to date.

Hi!

It's just like the airlines. Each organization is different, some good, some bad. Mesa is a lot different that Emirates.

At my airline (-121 supplemental, but I fly a Falcon 20 using -135 rules), we've had a number of guys move from regionals to us. We recently had 1 guy go from us to AWAC, so, if numbers count, we're at about 10-1 leaving regionals to come here.

We are on call 24/7 when we're on days on. ALL of our days off are hard, which is nice. The only way you don't get your days off is if you want to work (and they need U).

Cliff
ABY

PS-The -135/-125 rules have been re-written, but God only knows when the rule changes actually kick in.

What are you guys considering good / great pay?
As someone already posted make sure the job includes the rating!
24/7 on call sucks no matter how you try to spin it. If you are with a regional and live in domicile or hold a commutable schedule you might want to compare hard days off.
Will you have to spend time in the office on nonflying days?
What type of aircraft?
Just a few thoughts.

atpcliff said:
Cliff
ABY

PS-The -135/-125 rules have been re-written, but God only knows when the rule changes actually kick in.

Thanks for the insight from all. As for the new 135/125 rules, what will the duty regs going to be? Will they be closer to 121 regs with required days off? I did a search but could not find the info.

Thanks
BigDave

Hi!

In a nutshell: Closer to -121. Probably duty breaks, with 4 hrs being the min. No -91 tail end ferrys, no being on call 24/7, a fixed max duty day, etc.

I am leaving 121 for 135

Why should I go to a place that I can't comute from and be on reserve when I can be at home every night for twice the pay and the same benefits. I trade 10 days off per month which of course only equal 6 days off with the commute for 6 hard days off at my home town. Pay goes from 30k to 70K plus tips. Medical Insurance better, the way I see it all I lose is the jumpseat
PS: Going from FO in B727 to Captain in a Lear 55

For what it's worth, I went from 121 RJ FO, (which I think is the WORST job in aviation), to 135 CE-500 captain, and there is no comparison. Nicer hotels, less work, better pay, and SOOOO much less bull$hit. I just went through a spell where I didn't work for about 2 weeks. Sandwiched in there was 6 hard days off in a row, but sometimes you just get lucky and hit it right. I flew yesterday, nothing this weekend, the I'm flying Monday-Wednesday next week. Home every night but 1 so far this month.

There is no comparison. Especially when the new rule changes hit. Of course, Super Bowl Sunday is my last day in 135!! Yahooo!!

CapnVegetto said:
For what it's worth, I went from 121 RJ FO, (which I think is the WORST job in aviation), to 135 CE-500 captain, and there is no comparison. Nicer hotels, less work, better pay, and SOOOO much less bull$hit. I just went through a spell where I didn't work for about 2 weeks. Sandwiched in there was 6 hard days off in a row, but sometimes you just get lucky and hit it right. I flew yesterday, nothing this weekend, the I'm flying Monday-Wednesday next week. Home every night but 1 so far this month.

There is no comparison. Especially when the new rule changes hit. Of course, Super Bowl Sunday is my last day in 135!! Yahooo!!

It all depends. Some people will always complain no matter where they came from, what they are getting paid, or whatever time they have off. I do the on call 24/7 essentially but the wife and I are home bodies and she doesn't work so we are able to just enjoy the time that we happen to have together. Actually, we don't do 24/7 because I can refuse the middle of the night stuff. We average about 16 days of not flying a month. Yes, I was on call but I am paid well above industry average for equipment, have excellent healthcare, outstanding retirement, and if I really need a day off I can get it.

By the way, someone give me a link to the new rule changes...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back