• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

#12 on top 15 highest paying Careers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Feel free to complain about how crappy our industry is. Just know that in comparison to the rest of the US, we're still doing pretty damn good.

HAL

Yay! Long live mediocrity and low expectations! :erm:

Our frame of reference shouldn't be what people in other industries make, it should be about what airline pilots make.

When I was a college freshman, a United 767 Capt made $14K a month. A 727 CA made $12K a month. That was after deregulation, btw.

Today, they pay about the same rate, but it's worth less than half, thanks to inflation. That's what we should be looking at, not what a nurse or a truck driver makes.

Last edited:
So you're saying that you haven't been able to find a single job since? Many went to SWA, netjets, a Corp flight dept or did something else, many making much more than 70k/year. People lose jobs all the time and find another job.

I never said that. However, after I retired from the AF Reserve in Sep 2010, I sent out >100 applications with zero job offers. All the way down to entry level positions in banking.
I suppose that I could have taken a job at the Starbucks down the street.

Is there an airline that hires pilots with no flight time in 4 years? Mesa? GoJets? Ameriflight? What do they pay?

Easily 100K + My Niece is going to Carleton next year and it's 50K a year. U of Michigan is about the same. I think you are a little out of touch with how much tuition is at good colleges. Yeah there are cheaper colleges but most achievers who bust butt to get straight A's and desire success don't go to UND for $7K a year, they go to U of Mich or Northwestern, Carleton, etc etc.

I think you just supported my statement that it's a recent phenomenon. I was talking about 10-20 years ago, hearing anyone except lawyers and doctors with student loans above 100k was rare.

Our frame of reference shouldn't be what people in other industries make, it should be about what airline pilots make.

When I was a college freshman, a United 767 Capt made $14K a month. A 727 CA made $12K a month. That was after deregulation, btw.

Today, they pay about the same rate, but it's worth less than half, thanks to inflation. That's what we should be looking at, not what a nurse or a truck driver makes.

great point

Are you being sarcastic or are you really out in the market for any aviation job????

That was a response to JonJuan - he indicated that I should have had no problem finding another job without any problem. He must not remember 2002 and 2009.

I think you just supported my statement that it's a recent phenomenon. I was talking about 10-20 years ago, hearing anyone except lawyers and doctors with student loans above 100k was rare.

Bc we don't support higher education like our grandparents did-

We traded being taxed for cheaper, easy loans- not the same thing and once again, the next generation will pay for boomers

Welcome to pre-acquisition- when I agreed with about everything Ty wrote-
Glad he's on our side now.
(not tongue in cheek or kidding)

Minus the student loan payment....and you are back down to being paid crap.
college degree not required for RJ CA, only the ability to fly and command a flight deck

I never said that. However, after I retired from the AF Reserve in Sep 2010, I sent out >100 applications with zero job offers. All the way down to entry level positions in banking.
I suppose that I could have taken a job at the Starbucks down the street.

Is there an airline that hires pilots with no flight time in 4 years? Mesa? GoJets? Ameriflight? What do they pay?
JUS does, because we know you can fly, starts a around 40K/yr

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back