#12 on top 15 highest paying Careers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yay! Long live mediocrity and low expectations! :erm:

Our frame of reference shouldn't be what people in other industries make, it should be about what airline pilots make.

When I was a college freshman, a United 767 Capt made $14K a month. A 727 CA made $12K a month. That was after deregulation, btw.

Today, they pay about the same rate, but it's worth less than half, thanks to inflation. That's what we should be looking at, not what a nurse or a truck driver makes.

Umm, not so much. I'm a 7th year CAL fo who works in the training dept. I make about 12K a month if I do no overtime. I am sure a 767 CA does a lot better than that(at least I hope) being that they make about 70.00 an hour more than my 777 fo rate of 121.67 per hour.

Umm, not so much. I'm a 7th year CAL fo who works in the training dept. I make about 12K a month if I do no overtime. I am sure a 767 CA does a lot better than that(at least I hope) being that they make about 70.00 an hour more than my 777 fo rate of 121.67 per hour.

Your $12K today is worth $5700. in 1986 dollars.

The $14,000. they were earning in 1986 would be worth over $28,000. today.

I'd take early 30's again. I think I had my most fun then. Dreading my 40th in a few years. But age is just a number. I know guys in their early 60's who are as active as I am right now. I also know guys my age out on medical.

Minus the student loan payment....and you are back down to being paid crap.

If you took a student loan then you did it to yourself. Many did not and didn't have mom or dad to help out either, but did what they could afford and paid as they went.

If you took a student loan then you did it to yourself. Many did not and didn't have mom or dad to help out either, but did what they could afford and paid as they went.

I agree completely. Doesn't change the fact that most commuter pilots have them

College degree not required for entry level job. There are many ways to skin a cat; many have the idea that the only way is 4 years of college followed by your first job. This they feel is the only way anyone should do things is, "The way I did it”. If anyone asks me about college and pursuing a flying career, I will recommend he not go to college full time, but follow the other time tested path where I have seen too many people succeed. That is fly full time, do your degree on the side, build time, build your resume. I will not debate the fall back value of a college degree, as I have stated many times it is nearly worthless after not being used for 20 years. The degree is only needed at the last step. Pilots get hired because they have TJ PIC. The full time college guy at age 25 has 0 TJ PIC, the non-traditional path guy has 1000 TJ PIC, both have 4 yr. degrees who gets hired?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back