1000 PIC in the DHC6 = Southwest FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
two thoughts,

if you think one of the only games in town is going to let a computer pick interviews without input from proven employees you are mistaken

1000pic just makes you eligible, competitive is not a close neighbor to eligible, competitive is in another country

fly safe

Dunno about SWA. but I went from the DHC-6 into the right seat of a DC-8-73 some years ago.

Had no jet time in the book, but got the job-offer anyway....(Classic good looks and superior IQ of course...:cool: )
Ended up being pretty busy in the simulator as my arse had never moved faster than 130 knots.
Escaped the DC-8 sim shaken and stirred, but intact...:D

In other words the Twin Otter is so slow, stable and easy to fly that it may not prepare ya for the future...Go and buy that 737 rating, it speaks for itself...The Twotter time won't.

Good airplane however, one of my favorite bush / STOL planes...The ultimate toy would be to own a float version...One of these days.

StaySeated said:
two thoughts,

if you think one of the only games in town is going to let a computer pick interviews without input from proven employees you are mistaken

fly safe

The info about waiting for the computer to pick your name came from my contacts at SWA (both line pilots). I don't know if it's true or not, but they were both told by a CP that there is exactly nothing they can do for me until I get the magic phone call. If ANYONE has other info I would luv to hear it!

StaySeated said:
two thoughts,

1000pic just makes you eligible, competitive is not a close neighbor to eligible, competitive is in another country

fly safe

Actually the part about the computer doing the picking is true from what I understand. We are not allowed to turn in a recommendation, online or written, until an applicant has been scheduled for an interview. What qualifications the PD person inputs in the computer to generate the invitee list is the mystery. Once invited to interview, we can "go to bat" for an applicant.

IMHO the DHC-6 time won't cut it in today's competitive environment.

Generally speaking its done by scores but the level of scoring is done by the people leading the interview team. These are the people that determine who gets interviewed.

Like any where in this world, if you know the right people in the right place you might be able to get things done for someone.

If you have 1000 PIC turbine on a Otter and you know the right people and you interview very, very well...in my opinion you would have a chance.

I've seen stranger things happen in this profession.

Best of luck to all.

ATRCAPT said:
The info about waiting for the computer to pick your name came from my contacts at SWA (both line pilots). I don't know if it's true or not, but they were both told by a CP that there is exactly nothing they can do for me until I get the magic phone call. If ANYONE has other info I would luv to hear it!

This is the same info I have and I've helped two guys get hired here in the last year ... I couldn't do squat for them until they got the call to interview. Only then could I help them. I am only a line swine so maybe if you play golf with Gary and call bubba "bubba" then you can pull some strings.

The bottom line is internal recommendations can help you get the job, but you have to put numbers on the board to get an interview ...

Good Luck!

Any idea what the magic "numbers" might be? I've nearly 3,000 PIC 121 turbo-prop, but no jet time. I've got the 4 year degree and type. You think it's my lack of jet time that's keeping me on the outside of the fence?

For what its worth, I just finished my type at HPA in Dallas. SWA People Dept came and spoke to us there and said that no walk-in resumes are being accepted, period. She said they pull a list from the computer, screening for only the type rating and a minimum of a 2 year degree. Then they are hand sorted on the whole person concept. When pressed for a competitve average, she offered 1700 turbine PIC, but added that the kind of flying was just as important (ie-single seat fighter=less hours, ok, but a commuter pilot is expected to have a higher total). If a resume has found its way into the office, it is filed for reference AFTER the interview is scheduled, or used to clarify missing facts in the online resume only.

Just out of curiosity take the Southwest portion out of the mix.

• Does 1ooo PIC in a DHC-6 at a primarily VFR operator carry weight at Nationals etc?
I know exactly what Sean is talking about, and it extends also way beyond Southwest. A lot of people talk about many different places like America West, Hawiian, Air Tran, etc. out of the DHC-6.

In The Following Scenario, Which Of the two choices which is the better for furthing your career?
(For most people the thought is shortening time between their current job and a National airline....keep that in mind here)

The 121 carrier you are at flies non type required aircraft (i.e. DHC-6). Upgrades are very quick (a few months only) and you fly quite a bit (around 100 hours a month). The flying is primarily VFR though many of the pilots go out of their way to keep their instrument skills sharp (sims, other flying, etc.) Does a newer First Officer at this job....

Option A:
Work hard as an FO and use the job to increase his skill and marketability towards a regional and invest some time as an FO and jump ship to a "good" regional in hopes to use skills and PIC earned at that regional to launch him or her to a National, Major, Legacy etc.

i.e. a 1ooo PIC isnt worth much if it isnt in a jet or at least a larger (type required, etc.) turboprop.

Option B: Work hard as an FO and stay at the airline and upgrade to Captain to grab the 1ooo PIC and to either try to take it to a National if possible or to a "good" regional where he or she at least has the 1000PIC and can fly larger aircraft and "more demanding" routes.

i.e. a 1ooo PIC is 1ooo PIC, it doesnt matter what AC it is in. Get it however you can and it will take you to a National or the like.

Thoughts?

Latest resources

Back