1000 PIC in the DHC6 = Southwest FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyWithSean

I am putting this question out to everyone here because most pilots at my job have become consumed with the thought that when they get 1000 PIC in the DHC6 they will be able to go to Southwest. We are a 121 mainly VFR (not this winter though) canyon operation, with two routes to non canyon destinations. While I feel this is a great place to work, and a great place for excellent training, I want someone elses opinon on this "Southwest Insanity". A few people have gotten 737 type ratings in preparation for their interview. Here are my questions.
  1. What does 1000 PIC in the DHC6 represent to a Southwest?
  2. We are 121 but are we even considered the same as a regional or just 120.5?
  3. Is it true that getting a 737 type rating puts you in the "small stack" of resumes?
  4. Is the DHC6 even a competitive airplane in todays world?
  5. What are the odds of getting an interview? (with and without type)
  6. What are the odds of getting a job?
Some people say they have talked to Southwest hiring folks, and they say it doesn't matter.

Please if you work at my airline do not respond to these questions! I am looking for OUTSIDE input.

The Twin Otter is sure a fun plane to fly!

2 Schools of thought.

#1, If you know somebody there, that will sponsor, reccomend you, and walk your resume into the right people, then 1000 PIC multi-turbine is 1000 PIC multi-turbine, doesn't matter in what. I peronally know a guy that got hired from GL after 1,000 in a 1900 b/c he knew the right guy.

#2, If you don't know somebody, then 1000 hours in a DHC-6 isn't very good at all. They've got a stack of about 80 gazillion resumes of guys with 2000-3000 PIC JET, 737 types, and a partridge in a pear tree. Right now, SWA is where EVERYBODY wants to work, and where EVERYBODY is sending their resumes to. The only way to get in is to make yourself stand out from the 80 gazillion, and chances are 1000 PIC in a Dash 6 VFR isn't going to cut the mustard.

Network, network, network. The only way that you can get a job in this competitive job market is to know somebody.

It's tough, I know, but good luck!

That being said, if you are getting turbine PIC now, regardless of what it is in (unless its a caravan or some other turboprop single) keep at it untill you have 1600-1800 Tpic. Then make a move to improve your resume.If youre flying part 121, noone will suspect its all VFR unless you tell them. Dont play up weak points.

#1, If you know somebody there, that will sponsor, reccomend you, and walk your resume into the right people, then 1000 PIC multi-turbine is 1000 PIC multi-turbine, doesn't matter in what.

I thought the new process was supposed to eliminate the "walk-in" factor. From what I understood everyone was on equal footing as far as getting an interview, but inside contacts helped after the interview process. Am I correct on this understanding? I have a few contacts there, and there are some "friends of friends" contacts that might help as well, so I am not too worried about it.

Any idea when the interviews will start up again and is the 1800 PIC still the "magic" number?

Thanks.

(1300 PIC and slowly climbing - 737 type coming in June)

Walk in's at SWA

I don't think knowing someone will help you get the interview. The way it was explained to me is that there is an e-recommendation form that an SWA pilot can fill out once a person is granted the interview. Until then our fate is left the computer. As far as 1800 PIC being the magic number, I've got 2700 PIC turbine (turbo-prop)all part 121 20,000 lbs or greater, 737 type, four year degree and NO call. Good luck.

Last I heard, they are only calling people that have the type. Hiring has stopped untill end of summer early fall because the pool is filled with enough people untill the 4th quarter. Still plan of hiring 500 next year. Also, the fact that they didn't receive all the 737's they thought, put a stop on the hiring for the short term.

Yeah...with 2700hrs PIC turbojet, 2400 PIC turboprop, still waiting for that call
and three type ratings. Go from the "Ditch" to SWA, I did my share of ditch flying and going to a major from there aint gonna happen.:cool:

I would think the next move for a guy with this time is to a non schd . After that 1000 PIC in the Otter your just not improving your resume.Time to move on .Some kind of large jet would be my next move...

I was at Scenic for 8 months and the next CA upgrade class was around the corner when I left. I went to Air Willy with no regrets. Flying the canyon and landing out there at Monument Valley was some of the best flying I've done to date, but that Otter isn't going to get you to SWA. I used Scenic to move on to one of the best regionals, unfortunately as of late things are not so well for us over here. My advice for the f.o.'s at scenic would be if you can upgrade within 3-6 months stay for the PIC, if it's going to be longer leave for a real regional.

Latest resources

Back