• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

10 JAN 2007 NTSB determines cause of fatal CRJ crash in Jefferson City

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fact that the NTSB cited "the pilots' unprofessional behavior, deviation from standard operating procedures, and poor airmanship..." is curious. It's a major departure from the usual restating of the facts (think "pilot failed to maintain directional control" when an airplane departs a runway). Is this a new direction of the NTSB? Do they think that this kind of probable cause is more useful than simply restating what happened? I don't know, but I'd be interested in an interview with the authors of the report.

If you're suggesting that the NTSB report went beyond being simply descriptive I'd have to disagree with you. The word "egregious" would not have been out of place.

Can we please put this accident to bed. They've more than paid for their mistakes, no matter how egregious they were.

I agree as far as the crew goes, however PCL, and the industry as a whole absolutely not. This was a bell weather event in the regional industry, and despite some very good people it also highlights some HUGE shortcomings in training, standardization, experience, duty day, and on and on...

To blame it on the dead guys and move on is exactly what we do not want to do, because there are any number of crews out there now who are capable of repeating in one form or another some of the mistakes made.

To wit look at the preliminary results of the investigation into the Corporate Airlines crash in 2004. Informal Banter, professional demeanor, and failure to comply with standard operating procedure were front and center in this accident as well.

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/2006/Kirksville/human_performance.pdf

This accident should never be "put to bed". Every pilot should always remember this accident and it's causes. Maybe that will keep someone else from screwing around with an airplane and killing people.

The fact that the NTSB cited "the pilots' unprofessional behavior, deviation from standard operating procedures, and poor airmanship..." is curious. Is this a new direction of the NTSB? Do they think that this kind of probable cause is more useful than simply restating what happened?

The accident reeked so bad of bad judgment and total lack of maturity, I don't think they had a choice but to name it as a primary cause. If you look at other accident CVR's, you will find bad judgment and unrefined conversation, but they pale in comparison to this and the Corpex crash.

Welcome the next generation of airline. Thanks guys.

My only disappointment with the NTSB was this:

USA Today said:
"They didn't cause the accident, but I'm going to suggest that they may have enabled the accident," [NTSB Board Member Robert] Sumwalt said of the airline.

Ummmm... bullsh**. They absolutely caused this accident. They took a fully-functional airplane and destroyed it.

Edit: Helps to read the whole article instead of skimming it. Whoops.

Last edited:
"...throws there pilots and trainning department under the bus."

I don't think anyone was thrown. I think they walked in front of that bus on thier own.

This accident should never be "put to bed". Every pilot should always remember this accident and it's causes. Maybe that will keep someone else from screwing around with an airplane and killing people.

One of the best posts on this board I've ever seen.

Latest resources

Back