• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

10 JAN 2007 NTSB determines cause of fatal CRJ crash in Jefferson City

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This accident should never be "put to bed". Every pilot should always remember this accident and it's causes. Maybe that will keep someone else from screwing around with an airplane and killing people.

I have to disagree. Fear has never been an effective training tool in aviation. Remember the pilots but forget about the accident. There has been a major generation disconnect with the older experienced airman and the new generation coming up. We've lost some of the basics of airmanship ... discipline, compliance and self education. That's what needs to be placed in the syllabus of every training program.

I agree with you. I don't even know why this is even an issue. Guys have always had fun in this line of work, but business is business. The problem is that the new generation doesn't know the business.

I feel no sympathy for the pilots.....only their families. Their stupidity affects many people that had no cause in the outcome. (family, kids, ect)

This should be a lesson to all of us that we need to be professionals at all times when on the flight deck. We get bent because management doesn't want to treat us like professionals.....this is a case where we failed.

I agree completely with the NTSB. We must, as an industry, accept blame where blame is due. That is the only way that we can credibly reject blame that is not due.

The PCL accident was clearly caused by the pilots lack of professionalism. A large portion of the blame should rest on the shoulders of airline managements who hire unqualified pilots and proceed to place them in airplanes before the pilot is trained to a safe level; but if the airline training department is at fault, then this type of accident wouldn't be limited to a repositioning flight. Obviously, those pilots knew better than to fly that way with pax on board, therefore THEY KNEW BETTER. Period. Their unprofessionalism killed them. Hopefully, others will learn from their mistake.

BTW, I donated a days pay to the Captains wife. My judgment of their flying/judgement skills is in no way a judgement on their qualities as human beings. I'm sure that they were great human beings, with many great qualities and I'm also sure that the Captains kids miss him very much. This is just an extremely sad situation for those left alive.

I agree completely with the NTSB. We must, as an industry, accept blame where blame is due. That is the only way that we can credibly reject blame that is not due.

The PCL accident was clearly caused by the pilots lack of professionalism. A large portion of the blame should rest on the shoulders of airline managements who hire unqualified pilots and proceed to place them in airplanes before the pilot is trained to a safe level; but if the airline training department is at fault, then this type of accident wouldn't be limited to a repositioning flight. Obviously, those pilots knew better than to fly that way with pax on board, therefore THEY KNEW BETTER. Period. Their unprofessionalism killed them. Hopefully, others will learn from their mistake.

BTW, I donated a days pay to the Captains wife. My judgment of their flying/judgement skills is in no way a judgement on their qualities as human beings. I'm sure that they were great human beings, with many great qualities and I'm also sure that the Captains kids miss him very much. This is just an extremely sad situation for those left alive.

Classy post. Nice work.

The PCL accident was clearly caused by the pilots lack of professionalism. A large portion of the blame should rest on the shoulders of airline managements who hire unqualified pilots and proceed to place them in airplanes before the pilot is trained to a safe level

Or on an industry, that as a result of socio-political-economic forces fostered by an administration hostile to labor, has been able to reduce wages and benefits to the point where this sort of inexperience and immaturity is all they can attract to fly thier new lower cost airlines.

These guys had the old PCL mins - now they want to reduce the Captain minimums to 1800 hrs vs. 3000.

I'm sure in some dark room somewhere, NWA and PCL have caclulated the cost of not having enough Captains to fly thier planes vs. the business impact of dead bodies and bad press and made thier pact with the devil. Of course the cost of paying a better wage and increasing hiring minimums to attract a better qualified candidate is not in that calculation....

We get bent because management doesn't want to treat us like professionals.....this is a case where we failed.

I think where we really failed is many of us don't act like professionals.

There has been a major generation disconnect with the older experienced airman and the new generation coming up. We've lost some of the basics of airmanship ... discipline, compliance and self education. That's what needs to be placed in the syllabus of every training program.

AMEN!

I agree with you. I don't even know why this is even an issue. Guys have always had fun in this line of work, but business is business. The problem is that the new generation doesn't know the business.

Ding! We have a winner.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back