• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

04 Feb 2008 Delta New Hire Drop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can get hired at Delta with 0 PIC? Man, that explains a lot. Wow. Maybe a 15 year upgrade is a good thing.

Also, Continental, United, the Air Force, the Navy, the Army, and the Marines hire with zero PIC. What's your point?

I like your avatar of Kucinich. He is the only politician who actively looks out for labor.

Last edited:
AE bid supposed to be out either Friday, or Monday, with 500 slots. Bid what you want, want what you bid. Merger might be imminent.

Also, lack of total time. I helped get my buddy from Eagle hired but he had 7,000 tt and no PIC.
How does that happen? Seriously? Upgrades at Eagle that long?

This was not the case in 01. It was definitely age when I went to class, but I guess that has changed. All in all.... who gives a rats rear end once you're in, you're in... right?

I would think that if everyone in a new hire class is the exact same age, let's say within a year of each other, then yea, who gives a rip. But if you are in a class and just for arguments sake, let's say you are 10 years older than everyone else in your class, that's 10 less years that you will have to work. You should be considered the most senior because all the young wipper snappers behind you will have 10 more years than you, so why would they care if the oldest guy was the most senior in the class?

This is one argument where I'm actually pulling for the older crowd.

Yea, we're only talking maybe 20-30 numbers difference but depending on the airline, that can make all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is the tech portion, as I haven't studied any of that stuff in a long time. Any hints where to go to get some good study material or gouge for that matter. Thanks in advance !
ATP written test information. Gleim makes a good, cheap, guide. Three questions were FE written type questions that you could figure out just using common sense. I would stay away from the "Everything Explained" book some have referenced. The author's rough rules of thumb are good for flying part 91, but not close enough to consistently score the right answers on a written.

I would think that if everyone in a new hire class is the exact same age, let's say within a year of each other, then yea, who gives a rip. But if you are in a class and just for arguments sake, let's say you are 10 years older than everyone else in your class, that's 10 less years that you will have to work. You should be considered the most senior because all the young wipper snappers behind you will have 10 more years than you, so why would they care if the oldest guy was the most senior in the class?

Yea, we're only talking maybe 20-30 numbers difference but depending on the airline, that can make all the difference in the world.

..and the antithesis of that argument is where has that older guy been? Military retirement? Late bloomer? Either way, it doesn't really matter. Punishing a younger aviator for getting to Delta sooner in age is not acceptable. Airlines are realizing that, and the union has embraced it. it is a past practice that need to change, and did.

Nuff said.

ATP written test information. Gleim makes a good, cheap, guide. Three questions were FE written type questions that you could figure out just using common sense. I would stay away from the "Everything Explained" book some have referenced. The author's rough rules of thumb are good for flying part 91, but not close enough to consistently score the right answers on a written.

Thanks for the info, just got an email from D. Better get to studying.

I used to think the same way about this theory and I was one of the most junior guys in class. But puffdriver makes a good point as well. I guess the SSN is the best way for randomness and all the equal rights bullspit.....

In the end.... if you don't like the way a company does things.... you can always yank your resume from the pile. Not trying to be a smartarse here, but every airline out there does their own thing and it just don't make no sense .....eeehhh?

Just did the pre-screen with chief pilots office, and was told I would be getting the call within a week or so. He told me to really be ready for the tests, they had some high failure rates in JAN. My biggest concern is the tech portion, as I haven't studied any of that stuff in a long time. Any hints where to go to get some good study material or gouge for that matter. Thanks in advance !

I studied the old gouge and that helped. ATP written, Mental Math, and some aerodynamic references should be all you need. There were about 10 on the test I was so/so about (narrowed it down to two) and about 3 that I just had to guess. After studying the above books, I don't think that I'd have done any better with an open book test (using any references available).

I studied the old gouge and that helped. ATP written, Mental Math, and some aerodynamic references should be all you need. There were about 10 on the test I was so/so about (narrowed it down to two) and about 3 that I just had to guess. After studying the above books, I don't think that I'd have done any better with an open book test (using any references available).

So did you pass and get hired ? If you did congrats.

Latest resources

Back