Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crzipilot

Well-known member
Joined
May 11, 2002
Posts
1,057
Just heard this today, so take it for what it's worth. Anyways, individual about 10 from bottom got called for July 9th. Class. That's only the third class of about 20 recallees/class they are trying to fill, for the current 160 recalls. He bypassed, but was told expect another phone call next week for the take it or leave it. As those letters are going out today. She also said that, the bounce was going to be from the bottom of the Actual furloughees, and not the CEL guys on the bottom of the list. Said that all the furloughees will have to be hit with the take it or leave it offer, before any grp II is offered to a CEL guy......dunno how they figure that works.....

Again, just 3rd hand, but looks like the recall is bouncing off the bottom for just the third class, out of about 8.
 
Wonderful. Bouncing back up the list already. I wonder how long the "take it or leave it" will take to make it back up to the first "newhires" of Jan 99.
 
Hopefully we'll have closure on the seniority list so you guys don't have to decide in the blind.

Good luck deciding on this place, its either gonna be really great, or really awful; so far its the latter.
 
Just to be consistent with the other message baord... :)

Former CEL pilots are currently being offered classes of group II equipment. There will most likely be some accepting July classes...
 
I'd be shocked to see those furloughed in Oct or Dec '01 to be running back. I would have thought most would have gotten the good jobs at Air Tran, Fedex, SWA , Jet Blue or UPS by now.
I know alot went to NetJets. Not sure who will stay and who will return. Kind of surprised these first rounds of furloughees would return to the bottom with cuts in pay and probably seniority.
Just my thoughts
But then I could be wrong, I usually am.
 
Any ideas where this would leave the AWA poolies at (in terms of getting called?)


The AWA poolies have not been forgotten. As soon as 190 fo slots go unfilled the poolies will get called before any hiring is done off the street. Of course a poolie would be hired without knowing how many furloughees will eventually accept recall and come in senior to them. But if all the rhetoric from the furloughees is correct that they would NEVER come back junior to Dave Odell then you wouldn't have to worry much as a poolie. Of course there will be many bitter employee relations and looming lawsuits which will serve as background noise possibly for years to come.

Things will slow down once the age 65 comes in to play but the fact is in about 5-15 years there will be very large retirements coming to LCC. Definitely many of those retirements will be from FO ranks but if you're a new hire or poolie then they will all be senior to you. Factor in a little growth and the chance of getting a decent contract and Us Airways could be a decent place to be for the first time in 15 or so years....Definitely a gamble, but so is everything in the Airline industry these days.

Hopefully we get an administration that gives two sh#ts about working class union members....
 
Thanks for the reply!

Any ideas of how long it would take for a poolie to hold PHX after being hired? (pure speculation I understand.)
 
well all the 190 slots were filled, last month or something. But those that took it were assigned classes over the next few months. With this bid going all the way down. Those that took the 190 and waiting class, supposedly can move up to Grp II as long as they haven't started class on the 190. (a few I know already have whom are held J4J guys) So the 190's are filled, but those will open up with guys going to Grp II before class. Which will leave 190 slots and Grp II slots open, depending on how many choose to come back as the recalls bounce off the bottom. Though it may not touch bottom, with the ex-CEL guys being offered recalls, would imagine their numbers would just about fill the Grp II slots, though alot of them are or will be held at republic/psa, so it might bounce anyways, and you'll have to see.
 
Who is Dave Odell? He was mentioned earlier and it was stated that no furloughees would come back junior to him. I don't work for you guys but have a few friends who do so i have been following the developments. Just curious, thanks.
 
Dave Odell is the last pilot hired by America West Before the Merger. The Nicolau award puts all pilots recalled from Furlough from USAirways on the date of the merger below him on the global seniority list.
 
Well just an update...

It appears today was a busy day. The present recall may very well hit bottom today. I just accepted a July 9th class for a group II position. I am a former CEL pilot about 60 numbers from the bottom. They will probably start with the "take it or leave it" offers this week...
 
Will they call the poolies most likely before they begin with the "take it or leave it" offers?
 
No. I believe that before they can call Poolies they want to get the final answer from the furloughees. (I think I read that on the ALPA board)
 
I think the way you will see this go down is that they will reach the bottom of the list, then they will work their way up with the take it or leave it offer. That will end this so-called APL list. Once that has happened, they will offer positions to the AWA poolies. While they were hired, they were never on the property, or the seniority list. After the AWA poolies have been offered positions, they will hire off the streets....
 
doubtful

I doubt they will make it all the way back UP the APL on the current bid.

When a new bid is released, they are contractually required to start at the TOP of the APL once again.
 
I would expect that they will call the poolies for 190 classes soon IF there are enough APL pilots who've accepted a 190 class that are now able to move up to a G2 slot. Any vacated 190 slots will almost certainly not be filled by APL pilots with G2 slots already nearing the bottom of the APL/CEL folks. Because of the unlimited bypass the poolies should be called for 190 slots regardless of the status of G2 recalls, but for a G2 slot they will most likely close out the APL before offering poolies those slots.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to get a poop letter soon and I have about 600 below me on the APL. With the uncertainty and morale at U it's just not a very attractive job right now.
 
Last edited:
With the uncertainty and morale at U it's just not a very attractive job right now.

Oh come on! We won't be bankrupt again for at least another 1-2 years. What more could you ask for.
 
The end of the list WAS officially reached today for this recall. They are now going back up the list with a "take it or leave it" offer. Since there are still Group II positions avaiable, there will not be an opportunity to by-pass. According to Charmane, when she reached the bottom of the list, there were still 73 open positions.
 
ALG,

Are you a mainline furloughee or were you a PSA/PDT to MDA guy? This is working out well for you if it's the latter? How many others are in your situation?
 
The end of the list WAS officially reached today for this recall. They are now going back up the list with a "take it or leave it" offer. Since there are still Group II positions avaiable, there will not be an opportunity to by-pass. According to Charmane, when she reached the bottom of the list, there were still 73 open positions.


what kind of timeframe do people have to respond to the letter? Also when are these recalled pilots going to be in class? Finally is there a link on the hub that shows names and awards of the recalls? Thanks....

Well atleast this is one positive thing going on at AAA right now.
 
I'm on the list of thanks, but no thanks. Jul '99 hire. Don't want to be junior to an '05 guy. I don't care how you slant it to make you sleep better at night, it just aint right.
 
ALG,

Are you a mainline furloughee or were you a PSA/PDT to MDA guy? This is working out well for you if it's the latter? How many others are in your situation?


I came from PDT to MDA. There were about 100 PDT pilots that went to MDA that are in this position. They have all been offered Group II position at this point.

As a side note, all 100+ pilots from the CEL that went to MDA came from PDT. Not one came from PSA. Most were from ALG, but technically ALG did not exist when we started flowing into MDA.
 
what kind of timeframe do people have to respond to the letter? Also when are these recalled pilots going to be in class? Finally is there a link on the hub that shows names and awards of the recalls? Thanks....

I'm not sure if new letters are being sent out. They sent everyone a letter for this bid, and are still trying to fill it. If they do send out new letters, you have 7 day to respond. We shall see...
 
You want to see something funny? Watch what happens when they go back up the list with the "take it or leave it" offer and then no-show the class. I'm betting no-shows will be 50% or better on recall classes staffed on the way back UP the list.

If the class isn't until August or September, why tell them "no thanks" right now? Accept the class and hold on to that last possibility for as long as possible.
 

Latest resources

Back
Top Bottom