• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Zantop L-188's being destroyed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Saw an Electra in Liege, Belgium last week hualing cargo, forget the name on the side, but it was very nice to see one kicking.

I believe that's Channel Express, flying for TNT.

I remember seeing Ricky Z. in APF flying his little L39 a few years ago. That guy is a scumbag.

The last L-188 that still looked it could fly again, had engines and props was just stripped. They will all be scrapped. We tried to get one donated to the Yankee Air Museum, we were told they are worth too much in scrap.

The last L-188 that still looked it could fly again, had engines and props was just stripped. They will all be scrapped. We tried to get one donated to the Yankee Air Museum, we were told they are worth too much in scrap.

I wonder what one is worth in scrap. I agree that it would be great to have one example in the museum.

I wonder what one is worth in scrap. I agree that it would be great to have one example in the museum.

Last time I went to the scrap yard I think they where getting about $5 per pound for aluminum. So lets say those Electra's weigh ? 40,000lbs stripped that's about $200,000 in just scrap aluminum! Plus all the parts they can sell that they stripped off them.

If I were to covet only one other type rating on my ATP certificate, it would read, 'A/L-188'. Airplane ahead of it's time, and would have been built in greater numbers, except for the Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8

If I were to covet only one other type rating on my ATP certificate, it would read, 'A/L-188'. Airplane ahead of it's time, and would have been built in greater numbers, except for the Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8

I truely loved flying the "Mighty Orion". I would love to fly one of those Electra's. I still see them flying in Europe.

Flew on the P-3 to get my flight pay while at FASO, and was impressed with the acceleration and power at the pilots fingertips. Best flight was a local trainer out of NASNI to Davis-Monthan AFB on a reserve P-3 out of Moffet. PPC(AA MD-80 pilot), 2P(AK MD-80) and FE(AIA L-1011 PFE). Not sure about the observer, but he was an IFT and a great guy. We played with the HF radio chatting with truckers on the CB over I-15. After about 20+ touch and goes, shutdown, BX run and chow RTB NASNI for a LOC 27 at SAN circle 18 NASNI screaming over the terminal standing behind the PPC looking down at the people looking up! Was lucky enough to get some stick time during a few transits to coastal Mexico and LEO ops. Reserve crews were awesome, and had the best chow too for in-flight dining at it's finest!

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

P.S. Are you at Kalitta? Good buddy of mine from CJC is there and just upgrading to Captain...RS from PA. Former USAF "Sky Cop" too...We were new-hires together at Colgan in 04'

Flew on the P-3 to get my flight pay while at FASO, and was impressed with the acceleration and power at the pilots fingertips. Best flight was a local trainer out of NASNI to Davis-Monthan AFB on a reserve P-3 out of Moffet. PPC(AA MD-80 pilot), 2P(AK MD-80) and FE(AIA L-1011 PFE). Not sure about the observer, but he was an IFT and a great guy. We played with the HF radio chatting with truckers on the CB over I-15. After about 20+ touch and goes, shutdown, BX run and chow RTB NASNI for a LOC 27 at SAN circle 18 NASNI screaming over the terminal standing behind the PPC looking down at the people looking up! Was lucky enough to get some stick time during a few transits to coastal Mexico and LEO ops. Reserve crews were awesome, and had the best chow too for in-flight dining at it's finest!

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

P.S. Are you at Kalitta? Good buddy of mine from CJC is there and just upgrading to Captain...RS from PA. Former USAF "Sky Cop" too...We were new-hires together at Colgan in 04'

I'll look for your buddy when he starts OE. I did 22 years in the Reserves as a TAR FE......loved it!

Latest resources

Back