Zantop L-188's being destroyed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1013dot25hPa

This morning I was instructed to taxi to 23R via 9L @ YIP and taxied by a bunch of old Zantop L-188's. No news there, they've been sitting there for quite some time now.

But today I saw that one of them was completely destroyed. They're being chopped into very small pieces.

Sad to see. Sure was a nice plane.

I was probably accually a piece of crap, that's why it got chopped up. I heard a rumor that someone was buying Zantop's Electras, but the person I heard it from didn't know who. I have seen people over there working on some of them.

As with most old aircraft, they are worth the most in the scrapyard. Its sad to see.

The Company called Turbo Prop LLC has purchased all the old Zantop Electra’s. They are parting most of them out and hope to put 4 or 5 back in service. There 9 down on the ramp at Hangar Two, plus one in the hangar being parted out. About a month ago they were taxiing one of the L-188's around on its own power.

I think anyone who flew them feels the same way, I know it is just about my all time favorite.

They chopped up the DC-6 N111AP the other day and it looks like they were chopping up the white and grey one up yesterday. That kinda sucked. Those 2 188's in that row look like they are next. It was good to hear them running on the south ramp a few weeks back, I was in the hanger and thought I heard a familiar sound.

Latest resources

Back