Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You're a professional, remove the stickers from your flight bag!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilots are more like doctors or lawyers than many would like to admit.

You don't have to necessarily be "smart" to be any of the three, but you do need deep pockets to afford the schooling/training to become any of the three. And if you can't hack it in any of the three professions, you either wash out or end up a bottom feeder, without access to the best jobs.

You need good rote memorization and deductive reasoning skills in each field; you also need a good understanding of what you *don't* know (pilots can lack this in my experience) with the knowledge of how to fill in those gaps in your experience/knowledge.

Arguably, individual pilots have greater liability for their actions, both in terms of dollars and lives, than individual doctors or lawyers do.

All three professions have continuing education - in medicine & law they are required for certification, in aviation you have recurrent checkrides and operate in one of the most unforgiving, dynamic environments on earth.

There's also plenty of differences, more than some would like to admit.

Barriers to entry into the legal & medical field are higher. You have to pass graduate school to be a doctor or lawyer, plus pass one or more certification tests; in aviation you have to pass checkrides (which we all know can be $kewed) to obtain certificates but there isn't a higher education requirement for the end certification (ATP).

And the big one IMO:

Flying is many people's hobby; very few people practice law or medicine as a hobby.

That's to say nothing of other professions like engineering, architecture, accounting, etc.

Let's not sell ourselves short as pilots, but let's also not let our egos draw false comparisons...

I'm not going to buy another $300 bag if the company keeps dangling the EFB carrot. Blow me

I'm cheap like you, and this $40 case lasted me 5 years, even on the original handle. Even fits in the overheads.
$40 flight case

Plus are any regionals even testing EFB's right now? I'd say they're still a ways out.

Oh come on. Any ********************tard with a big enough checkbook can become a pilot through one of the countless puppy mills or buy your job scams.

Incorrect. LOTS and LOTS of people have 0 chance of ever being a professional pilot, for a wide variety of reasons....case in point, my oldest son: Type I Diabetes...impossible for him to be a professional pilot.

cliff
GRB

Oh come on. Any ********************tard with a big enough checkbook can become a pilot through one of the countless puppy mills or buy your job scams. A doctor or lawyer requires years of real education plus a lifetime of continuing education. A pilot is just TRAINED to hit the correct button at the right time and then put down the USA Today long enough to drive to the gate. There is no comparison. How many advertisements do you see for "zero time to heart surgeon in 6 months!!" ? Only $110,999!! Call Jakes Heart Surgery Academy today!! My sense of self worth is just fine, but this Dr. comparison crap is just old. Aviation used to be a very prestigious calling when only ex military pilots could fly airliners. Uncle Sam is extremely picky about who he lets play with his toys. Literally anyone with the cash or credit can buy a job today.
Gay...

???

Why do you even need a flight bag anymore? Are you guys not all using ipads? What is in those things anyways?

Pilot Doctor Engineer Lawyer

I've have done pilot (ATP and Jet) and Engineer (BS and MS in Chemical and Electrical Engineering) at fairly high levels so I know those first hand.

1. Pilot:
Need above average hand eye coordination like an athlete.
Need outstanding situational awareness.
Need above average math and physics to understand aerodyamics etc.

2. MD
Need above average skill at biology and chemistry.
Need to be good at diagnosing illness.
Scientific challenges are significant.
Most gifted scientists are doing research like coming up with
polio vaccine (Jonas Salk). Those guys are the real rock stars
of the profession.

3. Engineer
Need above average math and physics skills.
Don't need to be a jock and have great hand eye coordination
skills.
Don't need to memorize anything, just understand how to build
machines and make them work.

4. Lawyer
Need above average english and logic skills.
If you know the law and can communicate it you can make big
money in litigation and business but there are a ton of lawyers
out there and many don't make much.

You can't compare these professions to one another. I have instructed MD's and Skunk works engineers who couldn't pass a private checkride to save their life. I have flown with guys who could outfly me that don't have a college degree.

I've have done pilot (ATP and Jet) and Engineer (BS and MS in Chemical and Electrical Engineering) at fairly high levels so I know those first hand.

1. Pilot:
Need above average hand eye coordination like an athlete.
Need outstanding situational awareness.
Need above average math and physics to understand aerodyamics etc.

2. MD
Need above average skill at biology and chemistry.
Need to be good at diagnosing illness.
Scientific challenges are significant.
Most gifted scientists are doing research like coming up with
polio vaccine (Jonas Salk). Those guys are the real rock stars
of the profession.

3. Engineer
Need above average math and physics skills.
Don't need to be a jock and have great hand eye coordination
skills.
Don't need to memorize anything, just understand how to build
machines and make them work.

4. Lawyer
Need above average english and logic skills.
If you know the law and can communicate it you can make big
money in litigation and business but there are a ton of lawyers
out there and many don't make much.

You can't compare these professions to one another. I have instructed MD's and Skunk works engineers who couldn't pass a private checkride to save their life. I have flown with guys who could outfly me that don't have a college degree.

Great comparison, thanks!

Latest resources

Back