Your favorite regional airport to fly to

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with Mayday

JAC off the VOR to 36 circle to 18. Snug right up to the Tetons. Early morning when the suns coming up. Not a bad view.

gns2005 wrote: "JAC off the VOR to 36 circle to 18."

So tell me, how does one jack-off a VOR?
Sorry, couldn't resist....

my $.02

Here is my addition to the discussion:

CRW - it certainly is a trip to land on the top of a mountain at night, especially on the ILS (i think it is 23) that gives seriously false GS indications, and that red light on the hill, it looks mighty close everytime. Gotta love an airport that puts curbs on the taxiways.

CYQT- Thunder Bay, Ontario. Beautiful approaches over LS and the islands out there, not to mention the flight up from MSP following MNs northshore.

BEH- Benton Harbor, MI. I still think that runway is a glorified sidewalk, and the lake effect always added fun in the winter.

Ford Island- Honolulu, HI No air service, so it doesn't really count, but doing touch and goes in the middle of Pearl Harbor was pretty cool.

Of course the best flight is always the one home and for the last five years that was into CWA, in the middle of wisconsin. Beautiful fall colors, calling the airport from 90 miles out VFR nights, challenging WX, ILS to make it easy, Arcs, Vors and no radar at intial approach alt, to keep it interesting, and best of all, at home and in bed by your off time.

CWASaab (not any more)

I agree with Saberliner....you can fly an approach faster than 90kts. I teach my students to be smart and aware of the traffic they have around them. With an instrument student one day coming in to Concord (JQF) during a Thursday race day, a frazzled controller was trying to mix my Cherokee in with the Lears, Citations, and King Airs. Finally looking for a hole the controller asked my what airspeed I could maintain. I replied 110 kts to final approach fix and 120 kts beyond it. I go faster downhill! All my students know and practice how to make an approach without getting eaten up from behind. It makes their flying the approaches better not having to worry about what's behind them.

I heard a joke once about an airliner of some sort was told to do a 360 for spacing. The pilot of the airliner said to the controller, "You know that it costs an extra $2,000 in fuel to do this 360."

The controller came back without hesitation and said, "Great, give me $4,000 worth!!"

Hilton Head Island: Only PDT flies here and it is a rush. Only just over 4000ft and 75ft wide... this airport is uncontrolled with plenty of Golfer traffic. The Dash-8 is the only thing that can service this airport successfully. Anything else is too weight restructed to make a revenue trip worth while. This airport is surrounded by 50ft trees and only has non-precision apporaches... A lot of fun for the fellow dash pilots out there.

I'll have to throw in a vote for St. George Utah. Beautiful red rock scenery, hardly ever a cloud in the sky, and the runway sits on top of a plateau like you're landing on an aircraft carrier. :cool:

CWA?

Okay, it's been a little while...but, I couldn't resist:

CWA? Yes, beautiful, but once you step outside the airplane, hold your nose...yikes. Gotta love paper mills...same goes for Terre Haute, IN, and a whole host of other places I'm sure.

I replied to a post like this a while back, but after mulling it all over, I'll throw La Crosse, WI out there - on the visual to 36, gorgeous bluffs, river, etc...very nice.

-brew3

I'll have to throw a vote in for HXD. Doing it in a buisness jet at night makes you suck the seat into your pants. The only lights out there are the runway lights and it can really mess with your eyes because of the vertigo.

Trying to think of some cool one's. Definetly ASE. Wayyyy awsome place. The Bae-111 was built for that place.

Thinking of more though.

Guymas Mexico....

They are on the Pacific side,for RWY 2, fly between two mountains, from the sea, over a Club Med nudy beach, and nice folks. NDB-A with 2 race track turns for a let down. 2800 ft or so MDA and 2 miles or so vis, as I recall, for the 2 times I shot the approach, no radar......ahhhh, the good old days........They shot the movie "Catch 22" there and the main terminal was used in the movie...

Latest resources

Back