Young Middle Eastern man,Arabic Hat, flight lessons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TurboS7 said:
If you look at the second aircraft that hit the WTC you will see that he was turning, at the last minute he corrected for the change and went right into the building. That can't be done with the autopilot it does not react fast enough. He was hand flying the airplane, that was my initial observation and the 911 book agrees with me.
The "911 book"? Just what pray tell is that?

So what, of course he was hand flying the airplane. It has a yoke up front for that very purpose.

To handfly with that kind of expertise means he had a lot of experience with low altitude high speed operations, not just a computer geek pilot.
These guys had training time in the simulators for these airplanes, they were not "computer geek pilots", as you call them.

But what they did was really not that hard either. To be sure, the second plane was probably pulling a few Gs as he made that last turn, but then he didn't really care about pax comfort or damage to the airplane, now did he?

Roll the yoke left, pull back, and a 767 will turn pretty quickly, just like any other jet.

Whirlwind said:
And you need some grammer lessons...

Well, for one thing, they were not doing 380 knots when they hit the buildings... Actually, I'd be surprised if Vmo is that high at 1,000ft.

Swept-wing jets do have some unique handling that needs to be learned, but at speeds below 250kts and below 10,000ft, they don't handle all THAT different, and certainly not once you've had sim training (which these guys had).

As the man said, he could talk his 9 year old daughter through what those clowns did, it isn't rocket science.
I'm pretty sure UAL 175 was flying over Vmo.

But the rest I agree with.

The Final Report from the Commission on Terrorist Attacks on the United States - or 911 Commission report (otherwise referred to as the 911 book :) ) makes it clear that the airplanes were at max thrust and accelerating in the dive - speeds well above Vmo. It's a very interesting read - a lot of stuff which will never be reported by the news media in this country. They are more interested in doing Scott Peterson's trial.

Whirlwind said:
Well, for one thing, they were not doing 380 knots when they hit the buildings... Actually, I'd be surprised if Vmo is that high at 1,000ft.

Swept-wing jets do have some unique handling that needs to be learned, but at speeds below 250kts and below 10,000ft, they don't handle all THAT different, and certainly not once you've had sim training (which these guys had).
Do you think Vmo or the FARs are limiting for terrorists?

American #11 was actually flying at an estimated 410 knots when it hit the WTC after flying down the length of Manhattan Island at full power.

United #175 was going much faster- about 500 knots- after a nearly continuous dive from 18,000'. I believe that's well over both Vmo and Mmo at that altitude. Those are estimated speeds from radar and videotape evidence, since both FDRs were destroyed.

Both aircraft were probably lined up on the target from 30 miles out, since it was a clear VFR day. How much piloting skill is required for that?

BD King said:
Mad Mike Hoare says that's funny. (my guess is nobody else knows who Hoare is)
Hahaha...or what a "rugby" team was doing with golf bags on a little vacation to the Seychelles.

rumpletumbler said:
of course not.....surely you jest if you think Timothy McVeigh and Middle Eastern sponsored terrorism occur with equal frequency.......
if anything terrorism on American soil has been perpetrated more by american citizens than anyone else.

Latest resources

Back