• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jet_Driver

"There I was...."
So, there I was....

I would like to start a thread about crazy things heard on ATC, I know you all have one. I have a collection of them I have recieved off of AVWEB's "Short Final" segment. I also have some I've heard flying in and out of ORD every day. Here is my favorite (If you fly in to ORD much, I know you've heard this, if you have give me an Amen):

AIR MEXICANA: Ground, Aero Mehicana 345 clearing Tango Seven

ORD GROUND: Okay everybody, just stop where you are! Air Mexicana, Taxi to your gate. I don't care how you get there, just go.

AIR MEXICANA: To the gate, ROY-YER

UNIDENTIFIED AIRLINER 1: ROY-YER -chuckle-

UNIDENTIFIED AIRLINER 2: ROY-YER -chuckle-

The unidentified airliner doesn't go to Mexico much or it wouldn't be that funny. That's all they know how to say "Royer". I also hear them call Jetlink "Yetlink". It seems they can't pronounce "J's".

I agree that it is very funny the way pilots from other countries speak, I laugh when I hear the Royer over the radio, but it's not funny to make fun of it over the radio.

You should hear american pilots trying to speak spanish in mexican airspace, now that's funny. And the mexican don't make fun of them, now that's respect.

ATC: "Mooney 12345 proceed direct INAGY, cleared GPS 35 approach Corvallis."

Me: "Cascade, 12345, that's the IAF for the old approach, that approach was replaced with a new one."

ATC: "That approach isn't active until the 12th".

Slight pause while I double check the date.

Me: "Today is the 12th."

Long moment of silence on the frequency.

ATC: (Laughter in the background) "Mooney 12345, proceed direct to whatever the new IAF is, cleared for the GPS 35 approach Corvallis."

ATC Fly heading 340, departing traffic will turn inside you!

Flechas said:
I agree that it is very funny the way pilots from other countries speak, I laugh when I hear the Royer over the radio, but it's not funny to make fun of it over the radio.

You should hear american pilots trying to speak spanish in mexican airspace, now that's funny. And the mexican don't make fun of them, now that's respect.

Amen to that.

Well Said

Flechas said:

Well Said!

People bash us for not learning english and now we get made fun of for speaking english?? I see it's a no win situation for us. It would be nice if people kept thier comments to themself.

I always chuckle at the foreign airlines and their outrageous accents. Air France, Mexicana, British Airways, etc. Not in a mean way, it's just fun to hear how intense their accents are. But I'm sure in the cocktail lounges, it helps out a bit.

Nothing wrong with that, I make fun of accnts too, hell, I have an accent myself, and I know people make fun of it. As long as people don't try to make me look like an idiot everything is ok.

And Labbats, sometimes it helps, and sometimes it works against you!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back