• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't the A380 look like Humpty-Dumpty on steroids???.......:p

Really???????? No????????????:rolleyes:

BornAgainPagan said:
It's entertaining to see all of the posts in another thread on the A380. There seems to be several posts that imply they want the project to be a failure. One can't help but think that most of these posts are driven by a juvenile nationalist anti France mentality......playing into the hands of the pro Iraq invasion spinmeisters. France has made many valuable contributions to aviaton.

Sure I'd like to see Boeing selling more planes than Airbus. However, from an aviator's perspective, I wish the best for Airbus. Congratulations to all involved for your first flight!

http://old.marseillaise.org/francais/audio/marseillaise.au

I wish Airbus and France only the best. . They have a great prooduct in the A380 and it will be a success. Some of the anti-France posts are hilarious though.

3 5 0

ps> going to head over in either July or August to spend a some $$$$$ and try and help the tourism industry out.

(great wine(s) )

Floyd R. Turbo said:
I suppose I should know this, or be able to figure it out, but what is the advantage of the 5000 psi hydraulic system? Smaller lines and actuators? Or something else?

I was thinking about that one myself. I'm guessing so here I go. Since actuation power is by surface area X hydraulic pressure you could get away with smaller actuators and perhaps less hydraulic fluid, thus saving weight. I wonder if it's enough of a benefit to offset the thicker hydralic lines and fittings to contain that kind of pressure. Anybody got any better ideas?

What else are they doing to save weight these days besides composites? Anybody care to guess? Put pilots and flight attendents on diets?

Floyd R. Turbo said:
I suppose I should know this, or be able to figure it out, but what is the advantage of the 5000 psi hydraulic system? Smaller lines and actuators? Or something else?
From an article I found on the web: "The increase in pressure from 3000 psi to 5000 psi allows the necessary power to be transmitted with smaller piping and hydraulic components. That in itself reduces the aircraft's weight by about 1 metric ton."

I am prety sure no airline is actually going to put the spas, work out areas, bars into them as has been marketed. Instead they will cram them with 600 plus people...just what I want when flying Chicago to Hong Kong...600 - 800 smelly passangers around me and screeming kids, an hour to deplane at the end of the trip, and another hour or more waiting for luggage to be unloaded.

You got that right Tlax25! You're talking living hell in A380 economy. A hell that will engulf any airport terminal where an 800 seat airplane arrives or departs.

Most airlines will stuff any airplane they get with as many seats as the regulators will allow. The market demands cheap seats.

I think they will sell enough A380s to justify the existance of the aircraft. They won't make any money on them, but Airbus's real customers (the goverments of Europe) don't care about that.

TonyC said:
From an article I found on the web: "The increase in pressure from 3000 psi to 5000 psi allows the necessary power to be transmitted with smaller piping and hydraulic components. That in itself reduces the aircraft's weight by about 1 metric ton."

It's the first airliner to use a 5000 PSI system, but it's also one of the first aircraft in general. As far as I know, the only other production aircraft to use a 5000 PSI system is the V-22 Osprey, and from what I've heard from friends who work on that project, the hydraulics system has been nothing but problems. We'll see if Airbus is able to provide the reliability airlines demand with what little expertise the engineers have with these components.

I've never flown a military aircraft with a 5000 psi hydraulic system. And how the hell does an A380 equate to "the common man"?

Latest resources

Back