You Make the Call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vector4fun

Ok, I've got a little exercise for you folks who choose to participate. Suppose you're an Air Traffic Controller, working for the FAA, and you observe the following situations. Suppose further, that the Supervisor went home sick, and left YOU in charge of the shift. We'll also suppose this is a medium size Radar facility and co-located Tower. How would YOU handle the matter? These are real life situations, with just a few details modified to protect the innocent; (Me).

(Btw, I expect a few wise-a$$ responses, but some serious discussion is appreciated).

Situation #1. There's a fellow based at your field with one of those skinny little go-fast homebuilt hotrods that likes to show off a bit. Flies fast, taxies fast, makes fellow pilots un-comfortable by whizzin' by a little to quick and close for comfort, both on the ground and in the air, including at least two RA incidents. In both the RAs, the pilot in question was instructed to maintain visual separation, but didn't maintain much. His latest act is to request a low approach, which you approve, and he then flies about 180 kts down to 50' and midfield, followed by a 30 deg pitch up, and at least 80 deg bank, right in front of the FBOs.

Keep in mind that the ATC Handbook, 7110.65, says this about that:

Do not approve a pilot's request or ask a pilot to conduct unusual maneuvers within surface areas of Class B, C, or D airspace if they are not essential to the performance of the flight.

EXCEPTION. A pilot's request to conduct aerobatic practice activities may be approved, when operating in accordance with a letter of agreement, and the activity will have no adverse affect on safety of the air traffic operation or result in a reduction of service to other users.

[size=-2]REFERENCE-
FAAO
7210.3, Aerobatic Practice Areas, Para 5-4-7.[/size]
NOTE-
These unusual maneuvers include unnecessary low passes, unscheduled flybys, practice instrument approaches to altitudes below specified minima (unless a landing or touch-and-go is to be made), or any so-called "buzz jobs" wherein a flight is conducted at a low altitude and/or a high rate of speed for thrill purposes. Such maneuvers increase hazards to persons and property and contribute to noise complaints.
Ok, you guys make the call.​
(more later, I gotta get another beer)​

As soon as he's stable at pattern altitude, advise him that what he just did is not considered a "low approach." Pay particular attention to the attitude exhibited in his response. Penitent, humble, apologetic - - forget about it.

Arrogant, cocky, rude - - continue to next step. As soon as he touches down upon final landing, clear him off the runway and give him the number to call you. When he calls, explain how he has violated the FARs, citing chapter and verse. Pay attention to the attitude exhibited in his response. Penitent, humble, apologetic - - thank him for calling, have a nice day. DOCUMENT the incident.

Arrogant, cocky, rude - - continue to next step. Advise him of your intent to take further action. Thank him for calling, have a nice day. Write it up, save it until the Supervisor gets back, ADVISE the Supe what you're doing so he'll know what's going on. Don't need to get his permission, right? But it's a courtesy thing to keep him advised.

Sounds to me like you'll be writing the report, but hopefully it'll save the guy's (and somebody else's) life.

Situation #2:

You're working one of the approach control positions, and have around 5 aircraft on Freq. One is an IFR Citation leveling at 5000' on a vector south bound for the downwind, another is a VFR Merlin let's say, west bound, descending out of 8,500' for a satellite airport. The Wx is reported 4000' scattered to broken, and 10+ miles vis. These two aircraft are on converging courses. Your trained eye tells you they may get pretty close, but it appears they are gonna miss. In Class C airspace, ATC is only required to provide target resolution (green between) or 500' vertical separation, so you do not issue any restriction to the descending Merlin, but begin issuing traffic information when they are app 6 miles apart. On first call, neither aircraft says anything other than "Looking".

On you second traffic call to both aircraft, they are now about 3 miles apart, still converging, but it's also still apparent that the Merlin is going to pass just behind the Citation. However, the Citation responds "We're IMC". You immediately go back to the Merlin, issue traffic "12 to 1 o'clock and 2 miles, reports he's in the clouds". The Merlin responds, (Honest to God!) "We're in and out". You immediately issue a 30 deg right turn to both aircraft, and they miss by app 1 1/2 miles, same altitude.

Now what?

I guess I'm too tough, 'cause I'd violate the VFR guy the moment he said he was "in and out of the clouds".

Shucks, I ain't no controller, but I'm thinkin' put 'em both back on original headings, or whatever's appropriate to get 'em where they're goin'.

Take another sip of the coffee.

::: Note to self: Hold the Merlin at 6,000' next time that happens. :::

::: scratchin' through note to self - - Merlin was VFR :::

Do I still have him on the freq.?

:)

Hmmm...interesting. I happen to fly at an airport with a medium sized radar facility and co-located tower. It also is home to a skinny little go fast homebuilt hotrod. What a coincidence! :D

I've never witnessed said homebuilt do a low pass, but I have met the pilot, and he's a complete jack*ss.

So I say you should constantly give him garbage vectors, just for being a d*ck to the people curious about his plane. I mean, I know you're talking hypothetically. But this is what I'd recommend if you were a controller where *I* fly.

And I also recommend that you continue drinking beer tonight. That's what I've been doing.

Last edited:
English said:
I guess I'm too tough, 'cause I'd violate the VFR guy the moment he said he was "in and out of the clouds".
Heh! I think I've dated you once! :D

Situation #3

Winter time is here. It's 33 degrees F outside with a touch of freezing drizzle. Not cold enough to stick to anything, but cold nonetheless. Not much flying today except the airlines and Turbine Corporate. Long around 2:00 pm, a Piper Commanche calls to ask for an IFR clearance to Houston. You respond by reading about 3 minutes worth of Sigmets and Center Weather Advisories for the area, including forcast chance of icing all the way up to 11,000'. You also quickly ask the Departure Controller to get a Pirep from the DAL MD-80 just beginning takeoff roll. The Commanche insists he's still ready for clearance. You issue the clearance, (in disbelief) and then taxi instructions to the departure runway.

Three minutes later, Departure calls back and says the MD-80 reported moderate mixed icing from 4000' thru 1000', tops 11,000'. The Commanche has filed for 7000'. You forward the Pirep from the Delta Pilots to the Commanche, and hope THAT finally sinks in this pilot's skull.

Nope. The Commanche Pilot acknowledges the Pirep, and announces ready for departure. You and the other controllers in the Tower look at each other in disbelief, then you shrug and let him go. Meanwhile You ask one of the guys on break to dig out a accident package just in case.

Five minutes later, Approach calls. The Commanche has declared an emergency, severe icing, and is returning to land. Two jets have to be broken off their arrival and must HOLD in this crap to let the Commanche have priority. Thankfully, he makes a shakey but safe arrival on the runway he just departed from less than 10 minutes ago, and taxies back to the FBO.

Lesson learned, or not????

Sadly, I'd bet the lesson wasn't learned. I knew a guy that took off in conditions that were very obviously conducive to icing (in a light twin), and he did nothing but brag about the amount of ice he picked up on the airframe, and the fact that he could only maintain 1000' at full power. I don't think these types of pilots "get it".

Latest resources

Back