You Make the Call

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vector4fun said:
Boy, you guys are a bunch of hard liners! ;)

I'll leave you with a Darwin Award finalist from 1990. The saddest part was one of the passengers was a small boy who wasn't aware he was risking his life.

I knew his Dad. (Not one of the occupants)

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=FTW88FA160&rpt=fi
NTSB reports are often sobering, this one is heart wrenching. If there's an afterlife, I want a baseball bat and an hour alone with this POS.

Thanks for the 'quiz' Vector, and I'm in line with the other answers. For the skinny hot rod guy, that deserves more than just talking to. The marginal guy may need a little guidance and the icing guy needs a brain transplant.

JRSLim said:
For the skinny hot rod guy, that deserves more than just talking to. The marginal guy may need a little guidance .
Interesting, I would have rated relative seriousness of these two offenses the other way.

The guy in doing the low pass, yeah there's a big Obnoxious factor, but really he's mostly endangering himself with his antics. The other guy, by entering IFR conditions when he knew he was close to IFR traffic endangered the folks in the other airplane, who were minding thier own business and following the rules. From my perspective, that makes the second much worse than the first.

vector4fun, we may work together at this "facilty" becasue well, this is a day to day thing for me. Brain donars left and right.

I run that stuff everday and usually just approave the low approach but don't approve anything else. If i expect them to be an idiot just issue as much traffic pertains to the situation and hope they don't run into eachother.

the way i look at this incident is this.....VFR aircraft are technically on their own airborne...i apply runway seperation only. If he wants to be an idiot and hot rod, fine. Ill call traffic for all parties concerned and see what happens. always have a back up plan and of course fill out a pilot deviation if the pilot does aero and im not in a good mood or if he flies in a wreckless hazardes manner.

I usually tend to run just about as much as possible work load permiting.

My favorite is the CL65 las week that crossed out OM at 285kts GS. I asked him to say indicated, he said 270kts, I asked him if he thought operating that aircraft that speed in the terminal area was a safe operation, he said yes at the same time i had to send a C210 around that was in front cause I didn't want the CL65 over flying him if i had to send the CL missed cause he was over taking the 210 who was flying a 130kt final which is fast for a 210. Pilots do stupid stuff but so do we. Ill run anything as long as "I" am legal and it isn't a saftey hazard.

situation 2

the merlin is an idiot first off.

the cloud requirments for class c pretty much guarantee that if everyone is flying legal speeds then they have enough reaction to prevent a collision with an IFR in and out of the soup.

However, if the merlin addmits he's in and out and VFR then well....its a blatent violation of cloud clearence rules. Not saying write him up becasue I know its pretty much useless cause the FSDO never really does anything about it.

I would issue radar vectors the the merlin which is what it sounds like you did. Thats all you can do other then tell him on freq that he is an idiot. Another option of course is stop his descent.

MK

Latest resources

Back