• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You guys have me scared

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to get the facts right, Pan Am is about $55,000. Includes everything through MEI, over 100hrs multi, and 30 hrs in a CRJ FTD. The $80,000 number includes his living expenses.

Wow, that's a wake up call.

His "living expenses" exceed my yearly salary! That's saying two things: the expense of living near Pan Am, and the low pay that I am currently earning.

Sheeeeesh!

...and if youre really after a leg up on everyone else, check out Ari-Ben Aviator. 25 grand will bring you thru all CFI's, and they will hire you afterwords (unless youre a total screwup). the leg up is in that all (90%+) of your dual given will be multi. most of the guys leave there with about 1200 total and 1000 multi.

...just ask the Pan Am instructors that have left and come over to Aviator because of the extreme lack of multi ;)

...may not be "gold plated", but for 1,000 multi, id do it :D

I'm so tired of this flying bullsh#t industry I'm thinking of driving Truck. Any one know of a good truck drivin ground school? ;) :D

Last edited:
THIS STATEMENT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE! It's not negative, it's not insulting. It is an absolute in this industry. I have never met a person who has gone through their entire career without being furloughed at least once. The vast majority of airline pilots are furloughed, laid off, merged to another company's seniority list, or whatever, MULTIPLE times in their career. Maybe this forum is too grown-up or realistic a place for you to handle if these honest statements upset you so much. Go talk to your parents if you want to be falsely uplifted. Be positive all you want. Just don't lie to yourself. Why not take up a proactive approach to the situation? Don't plug your ears when you hear something unpleasant, determine how you will deal with it.

Oh really? What makes you so sure of that? I have never meet a pilot in real life that has been laid off yet. You know how hard it is to hear someone say that your going to get fired from your dream job some day? If that were true, then what would be even the point of becoming a pilot? That's like saying, well, I'm going to get fired anyway so I might as well not put myself through that. You can't say that to someone who has flying as their dream. You just can't assume that for sure. I have heard far more positive yet realistic messages from other pilots. Some even say that I will probably not loose my job. That is what drives you to success, not being told that your going to loose your dream, your future for sure. That will only lead to destruction.

I hope that when its time for me to apply for the airlines, all this negativity will be over. It just seems like today's pilots are bitter and always assume that the worst is going to happen.

You see what I mean by insulting comments? If I'm not called a girl or deemed a life of misery because I will never get the job I want, then I'm called "painfully ignorant". This just shows the arrogance of some people around here. Instead of motivating new pilots, there here to just throw pies in their faces and rub the bad industry in their faces as well.

I do not mean any kind of offence to anybody when I say this, but I hope that when I'm a pilot for an airline, I won't have to visit these message boards wasting my time. That is the only real reason of these message boards and that is to exchange complaints. A real busy pilot with a life wouldn't have time to visit these kind of places. Please don't think that I mean that to all of you. I'm not saying you all don't have lives so please don't flame me for that. I just hope that when I'm older, I won't be like I am now. As far as I see it, do not seek advice on the internet on message boards. I know its easy but it just confuses you too much. Its good for exchanging conversations and such and just talking but not seeking wisdom. Your looking in the wrong places.

Sorry. Let me try another approach.
You can do it Adam! You're probably better than all of us! Reality doesn't apply to you! Go for it champ!

Oh, and by the way, if all the professional pilots on here suddenly got lives and left there wouldn't be anyone left to give valuable advice for you to ignore.

I have never meet a pilot in real life that has been laid off yet.

Well, according to your stats, you have grand total of 20 hrs tt flying small bug smashers. That doesn't qualify you to make any statements about "reality vs negativity" within the airline business.

It seems that when someone doesn't hear what they want to hear they automatically assume the other person is just a bad apple or has a bad attitude. Flying for the airlines is not all fun and games that the movies would have you believe. At times it can be a royal pain in the a#$! It does become just a job after many years just like any other career endeavor.

We all started out with this great love affair for aviation and airplanes after being bitten by the bug...really! Strolling the terminal with four shiny stripes on your sleeve, beautiful F/A's on your arms and flying mere mortals to exotic locals in your trusty B747 were all part of the fantasy while growing up.

When you're young, living the life of a gypsy living out of a suitcase in different locations around the world and making the big $$ flying heavy metal are stuff of dreams...right? Not quite! The reality is that few pilots get to that level of making the really big $$ that the media would have you believe we all make. The ones that have made it to that level have probably lived through the many cyclical turmoils that seem to go hand in hand with the airline industry and there are many. Very few make it to retirement unscathed. Many never make it to retirement at all for various reasons. Bottom line is, if you haven't experienced it, you really have NO idea.

Those airline career years are also filled with stressful yearly checkrides and ground schools, line checks, medical checks and incredible amount of time away from home missing important family functions. The divorce rate is very high among airline pilots. Trips that conflict with your body's sleep cycles are common. Ever try to get a decent night/day sleep in a strange bed while in a strange country, eating strange food after crossing multiple time zones and just before another 16 hr duty day/night? Sometimes we don't have time to eat a decent meal. As they say, "The shine comes off the apple real fast!".

I'm all for motivating young folks to aspire to be professional pilots. I also think it's important to let them know about the down side of choosing a career in aviation. You don't jump into an airline seat straight out of flight school no matter how much money you spend. And, being furloughed, victim of bankruptcy, loss of medical, failing checkrides, downsizing and airline mergers are all very real possibilities throughout one's career.

The thing that irratates me to no end are the "future" airline/professional pilot wannabes who get on these forums and spew falsehoods as truths with regards to lifestyle/pay/problems within the industry etc, as if they would even remotely know first hand.

Why do I even participate on this forum anyway? Who knows. Every once in while a person with a legit question comes along and sometimes is given a "correct" answer by one of the more experienced pilots here. There is satisfaction in that alone.

Personally, I could really care less if the original poster paid $80,000 to obtain his ratings. It wasn't my money and if he's foolish enough to spend that kind of money because of some pipe dream the salesman gave him, I'm not sure he's the type of person I want to fly with anyway. He's already shown poor judgement. I do feel for his wife and child though as they probably have no idea what he's getting ready to put them through. I'm sure they think the airlines will be knocking down his door and he'll be a B747 Capt right after finishing training.:eek:

Adam, believe it or not some of us old dudes actually hang around this board every once in awhile because we feel compelled to give back to Aviation. In the past we were fortunate enough to benifit from another aviators wisdom. I just hope that when you finally "get ahead" in aviation that you remember your roots and try to contribute in some way to those coming up the ladder. In doing so, even those who are percieved to be at the top of the ladder have an oportunity to learn. I wish you the best.

KlingonLRDRVR

Question

Hey experienced guys, In your opinions, is it even worth getting into aviation then? If the job is bad, pay is bad, hours are bad, and the future sucks, whats your opinion?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back