You guys have me scared

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Timebuilder said:
I will say one thing for Pan Am, they have nice, glossy magazine ads.

Remember the one with the girl between the two brothers? (no subliminal message there)

I'm pretty sure that was a Westwind ad. Pan Am's ad is the one with all the names of their partner airlines, most of which are not hiring.

I think the going rate on these loans are around 12-13%. I don't know the exact details, but the payments end up around $700/mo.

Last edited:
CCDiscoB said:
Roommate!!

Dude, you forgot about his wife and kid.

Good point. I was trying to give e BEST CASE SCENARIO.

Wiggums also points ou that the rates are MUCH higher than prime.

Anyway, I think the point is made that if you have to finance it you can't afford it.

Thanks, Wiggums!

Let's see.

Sierra Academy is my "direct line to Airline and Corporate Pilot Careers"

Pan Am shows the Ft Pierce campus, where I "bring my passion" and they will "give it wings".

Ari Ben Aviator is "for the professional pilot"

Flight Safety is where "Dad got me started in the Cockpit, and FS got me started in the Career"

Westwind took Shirley Kreyling "from flight attendant to First Officer"

Tab Express declares "The Airlines have resumed hiring"

A second Pan Am ad shows the list of "regional airline placement partners" and a cute blond model in first officer garb. (they also warn you not to make "a $250,000 mistake")

Embry Riddle says I should "Come for the degree. Leave for the Majors" (considering the state of baseball these days, I wonder if that is a telling analogy)

The second Embry Riddle ad asks if you will be one of the "one in ten applicants" who will be selected into the Industry Select first officer training program. Is is a conincidence that the model shown is a minority? I'm not sure. Can you say United? Suuure. I knew you could.

Jacksonville University offers "From Campus to Cockpit: A Direct Path to an Airline Career!"

Source: October 2002 Flight Training magazine.

With this amount of fertilizer, we should be classed under agriculture instead of transportation.

Timebuilder said:
With this amount of fertilizer, we should be classed under agriculture instead of transportation.

Now that's a good one! :D

A learning experience

CCDiscoB said:
I don't think he cares anymore. xlr857 has long since checked out of this thread. He's driven his red sports car into the sunset. But maybe others learned something.
. . . which is one reason why I write so many posts on this and similar topics. I've had some aviation experiences, with a few not overly positive. I write about them so that others might learn and benefit from my post-graduate College of Hard Knox education.

I agree with Timebuilder; some of the ads you see for schools in pilot magazines are rich. In particular, TAB's ad.

I especially like the ones that advertise such things as high entrance requirements. Come on. That is such malarkey. The highest entry requirement they have are the height and weight of your checkbook!! (Did I hear P-F-T???)

"all Ive ever wanted to do is fly"

"all Ive ever wanted to do is fly"

If i was going to take out 80K, i knew i could get a loan for that amount, the 1st thing i would of done is gone to the local flight school, and got myself a PPL.

No offense but if your new to flying how do you know your going to like flying and that you have the abilty your going to be able to pass the exams.

1st, by doing a PPL is going to give you a sence of whats ahead, and some people even though they wanted to be a pilot just like you, find out its just not for them.

If i was you the 1st thing i'd do is look at all the options out there before spending 80K and do a PPL 1st .

Its going to save you money and its going to tell you if flying is something you want as a career.

Take it for whats its worth your making a big mistake taking out a $80000 loan and have no idea whats in store for you.

Do your PPL first, look at other flight schools cheaper than the 1 you have right now.. and take your time.

If your not carefull, this time next year you will be 80,000K in debt no flying job.

The school you have decided to go to is only interested in your money. and of course they will sell you anything you want to hear, including promising you a job.

But you don't even know what its like to fly solo. at the very least do that.

The piece of paper you have that Guarantees you a job is about as usefull as T-i-t-s on a Nun

Last edited:
not so fast...

I remember Tracy Nelson on the father dowling mysteries.

She was pretty hot....

:D

Re: Very competitive

Extender said:
>Actually, from what I've seen recently from my interviews, they are looking for a warm body that can quickly upgrade to the left seat.

Average time to Captain is about 1 yr with Comair...

well, if that's the case, i should be a captain by now.

let me check my shoulders...nope, still three stripes...

almost two years now...

now that i have a firmer grip on what im getting into, I would like to thank all of you for your replies. what i assumed was negative was actually just certain posters way of looking out for me. Know that im not so worked up. i see you were only trying to help. I am still going to attend the academy. I have really done research, and talked to current students. Here is what I came up with. The school is high price but the training is top notch as is the aircraft. Many students do not finish the school on $80,000 alone they need more after additional check flights etc. if you fail or your instructer is having a bad day. I found out not through administration, that this is the best route to an airline if your finaces permit. I will be in debt up to my ears, but will leave with a in writing CFI position for 2 years I believe and for that time they try to place you with some of the airlines they work closely with. The dont guarantee hours though. I figure I will get out of it what I put into it. This route will enable me to stop working and just concentrate on school. I will keep you posted as I go through. So wish me luck. Lots of studying ahead.

xlr857 I still think you should get at least your private rating at a general flight school. What is the hurry to go to PanAm? They will always take your money, even if you have previous experience. You never know you might like it on the outside. I wish you luck either way.

- AZPilot

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back