• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You guys have me scared

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For crying out loud, unless I missed it skipping some of the replies, I think the best thing for xlr857 to do is go the military route. The AIr Force and ANG are looking for pilots, and while the commitment may seem long (8+ years), he'll get a decent paycheck, the BEST TRAINING, plenty of hours, and by the time his commtment is up, the airline industry shoud be well back on its feet again. Uncle Sam picks up all the flight training costs and all you have to do is serve your country (as I think everyone should want to do). At 26, he's still 4 years from breaching the maximum age limit, so it really is a no braininer from my perspective.

Best of luck, though.

...unless of course he has less-than-perfect (20/400) vision, and cant convince his (stick to the rules) recruiter (no matter how many beers he buys him) that LASIK (even though he hasnt done it yet) is waivable ;)

Last edited:
Where you been, dude, that perfect eyesight requirement went out a while ago. There are stipulations about the amount and some forms of astigmatisms, but that is not a deal breaker any more. As for LASIK, the Navy's doing PRK on aircrew now (I think the study is winding down and they will be opening it up for all aviators soon).

Kool said:
There are stipulations about the amount...

...exactly. if you know where i can go with 20/400 please let me know. im about to go over the age limit, but have 5 years active duty to waive that too.

I thought Lasik was diqualifying, when did they change that? If you have had the procedure does it limit the planes you can fly?

whorrin

Originally posted by xlr857 [/i]

"It just pisses me off how it seems some people try to scare newbies away. We all got into this for one reason you love to fly. I dont care if im flat broke Ill be having the time of my life. You only live once."

Listen to what people are telling you man. Many trapped in the lower levels are too vested to leave. What you just said is what is wrong with aviation and where it is going. Not to be rude and single you out, but you asked for it.

I am a bit embarressed that some Johnny come lately truck-driver decides he wants to whore and turn his hobby into our profession. Also the fact that these flight schools and their slick marketing departments are driving the entire entry level sector. It's not you personally, but the entire system and how it attracts and retains pilots. Most civilians start out with wide eyes and "just let me fly man" attitudes. When they finally accept their skills and see how the whore effect has rippled through their life, and they are willing to do something about it (i.e. Comair Strike), it is almost too late and we all suffer because of it.

My advice is to re-think your reasons for entry into this field. Go fly in some bad weather with a local check hauler and let that be the litmus test . If after all of that, you still feel this is the industry for you, then don't give your money to the used car salesmen. Work hard, don't whore yourself out too badly, and demand a professional wage for the professional you see yourself becoming.

You don't hear about Doctors and Lawyers all undercutting each other just to remain current or, because "I just couldn't imagine driving that truck anymore so I traded it for a scalpel....hell I'll do it for free". Give me a flippin break. This is the primary culprit.

Sorry to be harsh, but think about it - even in the context of the trucking business.

Hogs Breath

:eek: vs. :mad:

Last edited:
Name your son Sue!!!

Hey Ya'll,

Since the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you might want to think about keeping your children away from this career field. The airline industry is definitely not for the weak hearted. My best advice is to drive on and name your first born son Sue. That way when he comes and says he wants to be a pilot, you can quote the great J. Cash;

Now, you outta thank me before I die
For gravel in your guts
And the spit in your eye
Cause I'm the MF that named you Sue.

OUT,

SR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back