You go ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oakum_Boy said:
Delta will be on the phone to Washington to arrange an intervention should ASA pilots threaten to shut down Atlanta. It's going to get ugly folks... I'm ready- are you?

1. Willpower - Tested, Armed
  2. Savings - Check
  3. Second Job - Tested, Set
  4. Vacation Plans - Check
  5. Polished Shoes - Check
  6. Wood for burning in barrells outside the GO while waiting to walk in circles outside the Atlanta Airport - Check
  7. Applications to other Airlines that will be around when Delta isn't - Check
Before Strike Check Complete!

Strike VOTE Stike VOTE Strike VOTE Strike VOTE. I'm not talking about Kerry or Bush - gimme something I can vote for - STRIKE VOTE.

Last edited:
Crash Pad said:
these people are ruthless they get bonuses based on performance and profits they would fire all of us in a heart beat and bring in the chinese for minimum wage if they could.

:) But - they can't :)

reality stings like a biatch, huh?

You ASA guys may not like the things that Crash Pad has to say, but he sounds like he is being realistic. This is a business first and foremost, and the folks in charge are going to do what it takes to cover their own a$$es and keep the company (Delta) going.

I would hear the same things from the PSA, Piedmont, and Allegheny guys all the time in the olel Philly trailer - "We're profitable, we run such a great operation in comparison with Mesa and Chautaqua (sp?). It's mainline that is draggin' us down. They NEED us." Yeah, right.

Hey, get what you can in your contract...I hope it works out for you guys. I would never wish BK and job losses on anybody. I am just saying go in with realistic expectations. It certainly does not appear that you guys have much, if any, leverage in bargaining this contract. Then again they may just give you a great contract and turn right around and declare BK. I wish you guys well.

Spiff

Let the pummeling begin!

:eek:Well Spiff...we could SHUT DOWN ATL and bring big D to its knees. That sounds like a pretty good start? Almost 900 departures a day there, not counting SLC or CVG? Looks to me like we have a pretty good leg to stand on?
We shall see! Big D knows that they could not take us striking...if we were to get released...maybe I will grab my "vodoo 8-ball" and ask it these trying questions!:rolleyes: I think that is what they are doing over at the "Granite Palace" anyways!

That management/crash guy is harping on a disturbing, new page in the propaganda book. This whole notion that pilots are competing with one another for contracts. A few years ago dci started publishing these little tables with all the dci carriers and their "standing in the competition". On time performance, connecting bags, and a few other things. The first time I saw the table I thought, "who ever thought of that gem just made a lot of coin". Now, instead of periodicly hearing about how competitive one airline is the labor groups actually see a pretty chart. Well, that chart is now crammed done our throats on a minute by minute basis. It scrolls on the company website, a fancy plasma tv shines in our face on the way out of ops. It is a fantastic attempt to brain wash us into thinking that we can actually impact operations and control our own fate. I actually laugh just typing that concept. Do I go down the street to the airplane dealer and pick out our next aircraft type? Do I sit in with marketing and identify new and profitable routes? Do I talk with our credit card partners and negotiate hold back ratios? Do I have someone on the inside of oil futures identifying the best hedge price and the best hedge quantity? Do I get flight training, staffing, hr, and skeds together and figure out that 4.6 FO's can actually do the work of 4.9 if their daily scheduled hours increases? Let me think for a second...nope. GECAS, DAL and OPEC have more control over our lives than we could ever imagine. Leave on time, sure I give that a whirl each departure, but too many factors come in to play that I can't control. Bags? Why in the fack am I asked to consider bags, in any fashion. Misconnected baggage...is that gonna be a part of the next interview? "We are reasonably sure you can fly a plane mr. pilot, but lets go down to the ramp and see how efficiently you can throw and sort some bags." Arrival times? SWAP, flow, enroute weather, mx issues, blah blah blah, somehow I can control all of these things and get the plane to the gate ontime regardless. Never mind the fact that I am flying slow to recoup some of my last concession! I know I am rambling, but please stop with the "competiton" bullsh1t...go ahead and do what you were going to do all along because I know I have no control. deep breath, finishes beer...

Palerider957 said:
Spoken like a true sheep.

I know "it can happen here," but at what point do you stop prostituting yourself and take a stand? If other has done this earlier, we wouldn't be confronted with this threat.

No, if standing up for a decent contract means losing my job--so be it. The alternative makes this job not worth the effort IMHO.

Spoken like an ALPA "true believer". Take the ALPA blinders off for just a moment and look around at the industry. There are times to charge the hill and times to circle the wagons and protect what you have. I believe now is a time to circle the wagons, not charge the hill. You may be willing to lose your job, but many of us aren't.

StaySeated said:
That management/crash guy is harping on a disturbing, new page in the propaganda book. This whole notion that pilots are competing with one another for contracts. A few years ago dci started publishing these little tables with all the dci carriers and their "standing in the competition". On time performance, connecting bags, and a few other things. The first time I saw the table I thought, "who ever thought of that gem just made a lot of coin". Now, instead of periodicly hearing about how competitive one airline is the labor groups actually see a pretty chart. Well, that chart is now crammed done our throats on a minute by minute basis. It scrolls on the company website, a fancy plasma tv shines in our face on the way out of ops. It is a fantastic attempt to brain wash us into thinking that we can actually impact operations and control our own fate. I actually laugh just typing that concept. .... I know I am rambling, but please stop with the "competiton" bullsh1t...go ahead and do what you were going to do all along because I know I have no control. deep breath, finishes beer...

StaySeated,
You may not like the idea of us having to compete with our fellow union "brothers" for new Delta flying, but that doesn't alter the new reality of competition based portfolio bidding. It is a reality and if you don't think it is, ask some ALG, PDT, CCAIR, Air Wisconsin, or ACA pilots about how competition works.

ALPA dropped the ball on this issue in the early 80s by allowing outsourcing of domestic flying to these "regional" carriers. Instead of fixing the problem, they compound the problem by promoting the creation of even more alter-ego carriers simply to protect the mainline constituants (ie Freedom, MidAtlantic, Republic, G0jets, etc.)

Latest resources

Back