You get what you pay for!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
You work for UPS??? I believe THAT was the "DC-8" operator he was referring to...unless I am mistaken. In any event, I would think that would be the one that was "worth a dang".

I guess it's a matter of opinion then. I am very happy where I am at right now, and can't think of any place better.

I was a Riddle grad. I felt I had a good education, but I could've had the same education anywhere else for 1/4 the cost. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't go back to ERAU nor will I send my kids there. I felt I had no "edge" against any other candidates in an interview nor did I have an easier time in any systems class I've been through.

I shake my head anytime I get those letters in the mail asking me for alumni donations. The best education I've has was flying checks, human waste, and radioactive stuff in heavy lead containers at AirNet.

jaybird said:
I was a Riddle grad. I felt I had a good education, but I could've had the same education anywhere else for 1/4 the cost. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't go back to ERAU nor will I send my kids there. I felt I had no "edge" against any other candidates in an interview nor did I have an easier time in any systems class I've been through.

I shake my head anytime I get those letters in the mail asking me for alumni donations. The best education I've has was flying checks, human waste, and radioactive stuff in heavy lead containers at AirNet.

What he said.

"Do you think that you received superior flight training compared to folks that learn to fly at smaller"

In some ways, the big academies are better but it's not worth the money, in my view. I think the highly structured, lotsa rules, academies actually keep you from experiencing some things in flying you could do at a smaller school. Things like little grass strips and actual IMC to minimums come to mind. Don't know about now but when I was at Riddle (early 80's) there was a rule against flying in the clouds. Smaller schools tend to have CFI's with a wide variety of backgrounds while the big academies have clones of the program from six months ago. Nothing wrong with this as I've seen good CFI's from these programs but put them in a little flight school environment and they seem lost, initially, without the structure to rely on.

Before someone says "we'll, airline flying is highly structured". Yeah, I know. But my feeling is those who never experience the "other" side of flight training have missed out, early on, on how to think outside the box. These guys that are airline jet F/O's at 300 hours, when did they ever learn to deal with the real world? Oh yeah, they do that during IOE....

"do you feel that it prepared you enough to be able to handle a regional jet or anything bigger than a seminole"

I'll say no but that's based on being at Riddle in the early 80's.

I went to UND with 30 hours out of C152s and older Warriors paying out of state tuition being I was from New York. What an experience! Flat, empty lands as far as you can see, winters colder than you can imagine.. I found the flight training to be similar to flying 141 back home. Well structured, but all my instructors were in their 20s compared to my instructor back home, a former B52 pilot.. The equipment at both places was well maintained but as said previously, UND had new planes, every single one equipped with either KLN89s or GNS430s after spring 2001. You would walk to class in weather consistently -10F or colder in winter (usually a week around -30F, not including wind chill).

The classes themselves set UND apart. More knowledge than I could ever use at one time, and things like the altitude chamber helped really understand flight physiology. I took the CRJ sim course my final sememster. It was a Level 6 FTD, but none of the instructors had their type at the time, something they got after our class. Too bad, it would have been nice to have some logged time. It was nice to get an idea of what flying a jet takes. Also, as said before, the aviation students aren't the majority, so thankfully, you dont have to listen to propheads talking about airplanes and flying all day and night.

UND isn't perfect. I wouldn't recommend jumping into the right seat of a CRJ just out of graduation, but it CAN be done. I heeded my cousin's advice to go get single-pilot experience to learn decision making in the real world before heading to a crew job.

I think if you're going to get your college education and want fly at the same time, collegiate aviation is the way to go. I know I got what I paid for out of UND. I've met all types of pilots on my current job, some from Riddle & UND, many others from 141 schools and smaller collegiate programs and I can tell you this... we all fly the same. Experience, knowledge and personality sets us apart.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you want to do. If all you want to do is fly airplanes as quick and cheap as possible, go to your FBO or other outfit that will get you through quickly. If you want to actually get an education go to an aviation college UND, Purdue, or another college that offers an aviation program. You will get a college education that will benefit you for the rest of your life. Also, you need a college degree for most major airlines. They are looking for a well rounded person, educated, proficient and interested in things other than aviation. Once you get your degree and all of the ratings get out there and get some expierience flying boxes, traffic watch, whatever you need to do to get some real flying in. Make your own decisions on WX, routing, approaches etc. If all you want to do is be a pilot go to Gulfstream or AllATPs or someother outfit, they will get you through, but what do you really have?

FlyinScotsman said:
It all depends on what you want to do. If all you want to do is fly airplanes as quick and cheap as possible, go to your FBO or other outfit that will get you through quickly. If you want to actually get an education go to an aviation college UND, Purdue, or another college that offers an aviation program. You will get a college education that will benefit you for the rest of your life. Also, you need a college degree for most major airlines. They are looking for a well rounded person, educated, proficient and interested in things other than aviation. Once you get your degree and all of the ratings get out there and get some expierience flying boxes, traffic watch, whatever you need to do to get some real flying in. Make your own decisions on WX, routing, approaches etc. If all you want to do is be a pilot go to Gulfstream or AllATPs or someother outfit, they will get you through, but what do you really have?

I think you need to think of what you will do IF you cant fly. More pilots medical out before retirement. A degree in aviation is as useful as a degree in phs-ed. Go to a school where you can get a education in something other than flying and train at good flight school...FSI, PanAm..etc.

There are two types of "airline pilots", in my opinion. Flyers, which love to fly, and money makers, who are in it for the $$. The latter of which are in the wrong place. No money here.
Flyers tend to come out of local FBOs.
Money makers tend to come out of high priced places. (UND, Gulfstream, ERAU, etc.) That has been my observation, whether quite limited or not.
Those I have talked to that go to the pilot mills say they "never had time" to go out and enjoys burning gas. They were too busy doing stalls or shooting approaches. The were sooo happy the day they flew their last single engine airplane. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I trained at the local FBO, spent weekends "building time" going to pancake breakfasts(usually free for the pilot), etc. Did it cost me more? Not from what I have been able to figure so far from those I speak with.
Keep in mind, my observations are limited and somewhat overgeneralizing, and just that, my observations.

Dufus1 said:
There are two types of "airline pilots", in my opinion. Flyers, which love to fly, and money makers, who are in it for the $$. The latter of which are in the wrong place. No money here.
Flyers tend to come out of local FBOs.
Money makers tend to come out of high priced places. (UND, Gulfstream, ERAU, etc.) That has been my observation, whether quite limited or not.
Those I have talked to that go to the pilot mills say they "never had time" to go out and enjoys burning gas. They were too busy doing stalls or shooting approaches. The were sooo happy the day they flew their last single engine airplane. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I trained at the local FBO, spent weekends "building time" going to pancake breakfasts(usually free for the pilot), etc. Did it cost me more? Not from what I have been able to figure so far from those I speak with.
Keep in mind, my observations are limited and somewhat overgeneralizing, and just that, my observations.

This can be true. If you go to a flight school and you enjoy flying, make friends with your fellow classmates that have a more positive attitude. The ones that are there because mommy and daddy told them to be there may have a bad attitude. I had a great time at a flight school being a student and instructing.

jaybird said:

Same story here and still learning more everyday. Currently flying for a 135 on-demand jet cargo operator. BTW there is at least 10 ERAU alumni here so we are definately not all 500 hr gimme my RJ job for $20K/yr types.

ERAU DB AERO SCI '01

PS I still enjoy flying pistons but now land too fast and flare too high. :eek:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back