You are not cool!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Soooo let me get this straight...

Somebody gets a burr up their a$$ because they think the way somebody else pronounces a phoenetic letter, and gets on here to rant about it.

Somebody responds by simply quoting the way the phoenetic letter in question should be pronounced.

And the rebuttal to that is criticize the person for doin it right?

Wow....sounds like somebody has too much free time!

P - Papa (pah PAH) (NOTE STRESS IS ON THE 2ND SYLLABLE)

Maybe they didn't skip phonetics in ground school as you seemed to have done.

Most people know what ICAO phonetics say about the pronunciation and what part of the words are to be slightly stressed. Just because the majority of pilots don't use the published ICAO phonetic pronunciations doesn't mean they aren't aware of it.
I'm with HawkerF/O. It's just funny (and a little annoying) when you hear that occasional guy extend the second syllable in Papa (with emphases on making the "puh" very short and greatly overextending the "paah".) It's like that person has just discovered the correct way to pronounce Papa, and now they think they're too cool for school and are excited to say it over the radio. Another one is "QUEBEC". I've always pronounced it "kuh-beck" but every now and then you'll hear somebody say "kay-beck".
I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, but the one's in question and the people who use them are downright funny!! :laugh:

Dont hate me....

I grew up on Long Island, and was taught to speak with an eloquent dialect of english that only those from the north-east United States posess. So, having said that, when you hear me on the radio and I say "I have information Lima", its going to come out of my mouth as "Leemer". I've tried to say Lima, for some reason it just doesn't work all of the time.

I'll tell you what, lets make a deal F/O. Don't hate me for the way I butcher the phonetical alphebet, and I won't hate you for being a whiny, nit-picking, gear bitch.;)

btw, there is nothing wrong with including the words "Flight Level" in radio transmissions. It is the recomended radio phraseology in the AIM...

Now, lets all get another cup of coffee, and relax.

Last edited:
JN, you had better believe it's true. The staledog tells no tales. He does a lot of things, and I could go into them if you would like, but as for telling tales, I know nothing about that.
What say you, Staledog?
Staledog, my new mission in life is going to be finding you a new job. Where would you like to go, my white friend?

Yes, let's all help rescue poor staledog from the kill-shelter he's in. We all gotta do our part. I miss your humor MR!

You should have been at staledog's crazy party on the 4th. It was the stuff of legend.

Hawker F/O would most likely stick a fork in his eye if he utilized CLT Approach on most afternoons. Some folks on here probably know who I am talking about. I find the controller entertaining. I think F/O would have a cardiac after he forked himself.

Hawker F/O would most likely stick a fork in his eye if he utilized CLT Approach on most afternoons. Some folks on here probably know who I am talking about. I find the controller entertaining. I think F/O would have a cardiac after he forked himself.

"See-Ya!!"
With phonetic emphasis on the "See"

I really hate it when other pilots think their technique is somebody else's procedure.

Me as well!

edit: btw, who the he11 is sugar pop? heard this reply with atl the other day. Don't get cutesy with your call sign unless your ARE the bear from the cereal!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back