Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Yo! Check it out! More Africa for Delta...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your mom.

Wow, classic response. I have already saved it and hope to copyright it too. It is pending..... You have a fantastic wit.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Africa...Ugh. You can have it. About the most dangerous airspace around. Not uncommon for two heavys to negotiate on alts and waypoints so as not to smack into one another. Never felt more unsafe. Makes India look like a well-oiled clock.

Ive lived and worked in Africa and been to some of the destinations mentioned. African aviation is extreemly profitable. It makes money because its inteneded to serve the highest common denominator. Air France has some of its highest profit margins serving African destinations. There is a ton of money over there.... Its just in the hands of the select few who will be purchasing tickets and shipping cargo. The wealthy have more money than we could ever imagine and tend to have large families who can easily book these flights. Keep in mind that a lot of the seats will be sold to expats and cargo will be a huge portion of the profits. And dont bash Africa until youve been there. Yes its third world, but you will be treated and live like kings on your 48 hrs over there...

Last edited:
Ive lived and worked in Africa and been to some of the destinations mentioned. African aviation is extreemly profitable. It makes money because its inteneded to serve the highest common denominator. Air France has some of its highest profit margins serving African destinations. There is a ton of money over there.... Its just in the hands of the select few who will be purchasing tickets and shipping cargo. The wealthy have more money than we could ever imagine and tend to have large families who can easily book these flights. Keep in mind that a lot of the seats will be sold to expats and cargo will be a huge portion of the profits. And dont bash Africa until youve been there. Yes its third world, but you will be treated and live like kings on your 48 hrs over there...

Where did you live in Africa? I hope this brings in big cash for Delta, but be careful when you fly there. It does NOT sound like you will live like kings as stated above.

· Zimbabwe issued December 2008. The political instability and economic crisis in Zimbabwe has resulted in small-scale civil demonstrations and riots as well as outbreaks of diseases like cholera due to the deterioration of the public health system.
· Kenya issued November, 2008. Political unrest has all but vanished, but the US State Department still retains a travel warning for visitors to Kenya in the light of the high incidence of violent crime and possible threat from terrorists. For the most up to date information see the US Embassy web site based in Nairobi. Travelers should avoid the Kenya/Somali border.
· Chad issued November, 2008. Americans are advised to avoid all travel to the East of the country, avoid travel after dusk and always travel in groups.
· Burundi issued January, 2009. Americans are advised to take extreme care if traveling to Burundi because of the risk of sudden outbreaks of armed violence, acts of banditry, and cross-border incursion by rebel groups.
· Eritrea issued November, 2008. All foreign nationals need special permits to travel outside the capital Asmara. Avoid the border areas between Eritrea and Ethiopia.
· Somalia issued November, 2008. The travel warnings extends to all US citizens traveling to Somaliland as well as Somalia. Inter-clan and inter-factional fighting can flare up with little warning, and kidnapping, murder, and other threats to U.S. citizens and other foreigners can occur unpredictably in many regions.
· Central African Republic(CAR) issued on March, 2008. Americans are urged not to travel anywhere in CAR, the situation is volatile both in the capital and the rest of the country.
· Cote D'Ivoire issued December, 2008. The US government warns of a potentially volatile political situation as well as a high incidence of violent car-jackings, muggings and robberies.
· Nigeria issued December, 2008. This travel warning is mainly for the Niger Delta region of the country although the US considers the high level of crime throughout Nigeria reason enough to warn its citizens against travel there.
· Algeria issued August, 2008. Terrorist attacks have increased again in Algeria and the US Government urges tourists to use reputable hotels and tour companies if they still choose to go.
· Sudan issued October, 2008. while Sudan's civil war is officially over, regions like Darfur and the east of Sudan are still extremely dangerous. Restrictions on travel outside the capital Khartoum are in place for many foreigners.
· Democratic Republic of the Congo issued October, 2008. Random violence and lots of soldiers that still need to be de-mobilized, makes the Congo an unsafe country to visit. Recent violence in Eastern Congo makes this area entirely off-limits to all travelers.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Our pilots have security transportation to/from hotel and do not leave the hotel due to security problems. They stay w/you Delta guys in LOS so you know the routine if you fly the trip. I have read one pilots brief/tips on flying and he said spray yourself with DEET because there are critters that bite in the day and other critters that bite at night. And that both bite during dusk. I don't know why, but I found that funny.

Most of my time was spent in Gabon. As far as these travel warnings from our goverment. Please... They are a joke! Just like everything in America, a big deal is made out of nothing. Ive even read travel warnings to Germany urging caution for sanitation practices and "diseases". Germany is one of the cleanest countries ever, but we need to think America is... Out of the contries on the posted list above, Ive been to Chad and Congo and can tell you I was in no danger. Sure there was a siezed Somoli Illushion 76 on the ramp in N'Djemina Chad because they were having a pissing match with eachother... On a two hour sit in the places mentioned, Id leave the airport at and walk around town. People were very friendly. The most harrasment I ever got anywhere in Africa was either from some 17 yr old girl trying whore herself out, some cop trying con me out of money for not carrying my visa with me or a taxi driver trying to charge me the "white man price" for a fare. Just kindly tell them youre a gay Canadian and to F-Off and thats the end of the story! I was out all hrs of the night wondering around the streets of Africa and have come home without a scratch. You are in more danger in some of our major US cities than in some of these places Delta is about to serve. Now Nigeria, especially Legos is another story. That place is just messed up and you do need to watch your back....

Im not saying its Heaven by any means in these place. What I am saying, is that you will be safe and its something to experience. The people in these places are extremely welcoming and want to make sure you feel at home in their country. And do you remember what it was to be an airline pilot back in the day? Well, Im too young to know, but from what I hear it was a highly respected position. Youll get that respect when you step foot over there.

On a final note, bring the bug spray and wear it just prior to sunset. Malaria is common over there. A mosquito bite doesnt mean your going to get malaria. Malaria is only carried by a select few mosquitos. There is no need for any malaria prophylaxis. They are a waste of money, require you take them a month before travel and a month after and practically kill you while taking them. Deet at night is good enough. I would recomend going to an African pharmacy and purchasing malaria medication called Coartem or something similar. I suggest purchasing it before you leave and bringing it back home since malaria symptoms can take a while to develop. Since malaria is virtually non existant here, Dr's might misdiagnose you. So if you start getting any flu like symptoms, start popping Coartem every 3 hrs for 3 days, stay hydrated and you will be cured! Ive never had to take it, but know a few who have. They were the ones not wearing their bug spray at night.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back