XOJet growth...??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

According to their website u can either buy a whole aircraft, buy 1/2 or straight charter.

They have King Airs, Xs and are buying Challenger 300s.

cliff
GYY

I am confuses. I thought it was THEIR plane, now its XOJets plane?

One of the many benefits of NJs, is they have a variety of planes to choose from.....1 guy going from SJC to LAS can get by with a small plane (less money). The same guy wants to take his family, and nannies, to Hawaii...take a G4. (can you sqeeze 12 people in a C300?).

In reality, XOJet sounds like any other charter or management company, but with 2 aircraft types.

Blah Blah Blah....now I know why you're confused or as you say "confuses". Some people will never understand so it's not worth trying to explain.

Toyota?

There is a market for both. Much like the markets for Toyota and Lexus. The Toyota version amy be "cheaper," but the Lexus has more appeal to a certain clientel. NetJets has never advertised as a discount source of air travel. It is what it is.

NJA Capt,

Well, I'm not sure I agree with your analogy. Why are you so sure NetJets has to offer a higher quality product? You know nothing about us! I on the other hand, have personally flown over a hundred NetJets trips, and I can tell you with absolute certainty, many of your customers do not agree with you. Your customers have told me more times than I can count that "this is the best trip I have ever had," and "this is the nicest airplane I have ever been on." I am not trying to sugests that Netjets does not give great service to their customers. Clearly, Netjets sets the level of the bar in this industry. We however are not content to merely meet that bar. We strive to continually far exceed our customers expectations in every aspect of our business. We have a highly efficient and innovative business model which you and others do not immediately understand, so you infer we are somehow second tier. You basically inferred that we are a bargan basement carrier. I wonder what people thought of the fractional business when RTS thought it up?

Please don't misinterpret this post as flame. It is not meant to disparage Netjets in any way. For a large company, you guys do a phenomenal job, but to some extent mediocrity grows with size. We too are battling to maintain our level of quality with our explosive growth. However, we are still a small boutique carrier with all brand new highly upgraded aircraft. Our pilots are all highly motivated stockholders in the company, and we are all trying to build something truly special. Our founding pilots flew for Netjets for many years, and they tried to emulate what worked well and improve what didn't.

On second thought, I think your analogy may have been correct; you just mixed up the players!

understanding the numbers

But they do pay for the entire plane? Take a CX, for example. At $20,000,000, they are now exposed to the ENTIRE cost of depreciation. Say a CX is worth 65% after 5 years and 1,000 hours a year in the airframe. An owner flies 300 hours a year or 1,500 hours over 5-years.
They have lost $7,000,000 or $4,666 an hour of asset value. Now take a 300-hour fractional owner who buys the plane for $7,500,000. With a 35% loss, the total loss will be $2,625,000 or $1,750 per hour. A difference of $2,900 per hour.
Now factor in the cost of capital. $20,000,000 at 8% a year is $1,600,000 for year one or $5,333 per hour. Cost of capital on the fractional owners $7,500,000. 8% is $600,000 during year one or $2,000 an hour for a delta of $3,333 an hour.
Combining these two differences yields $6,233 an hour or $9,350,000 over 5-years.
If you don't think most potential owners won't consider this, you are crazy. Very, very niche market, imho.

Dude,

You obviously put a great deal of thought into this post. It is funny to me that it never occured to you that a Netjets owner will take an equal, but proportional depreciation hit on whatever fraction they purchase. In fact, Netjets puts so many hours on their aircraft, an NJ owner will likely take a bigger hit on their investment over time. (proportionally of course)

However, many owners buy these aircraft not simply as a means of transportation, but also as a tax stratagy due to the accelerated depretiation schedule. It is not necessarily a bad thing.

As T-Bone pointed out, we have a competitive advantage because we are part fractional, and part charter operator. This significantly limits the number of "guaranteed" customers on peak days, and allows us to dramatically reduce the deadhead legs by backfilling with charter. To put it simply, we can be cheaper because we don't fly as many empty airplanes around, and we never have to rely on expensive outside vendors to supplement our flying on peak days. We just sell less charter.

So, with all due respect to your humble oppinion, we hope prospective owners will fully "consider" the economics. We just hope they understand them better than you.

XOJet seems like an interesting option. I have some questions and I was hoping someone may be able to answer them for me please.

1. How quickly someone could be based in PHX?

2. I have not seen any concrete information about pay and/or benefits on this site or the company's web site. Someone posted $50K for FOs and $90K for CAs are these figures correct? Does anyone have an actual pay scale? How about 401k, 401k matching, and/or profit sharing?

3. How long does it take to upgrade? Is upgrade based on seniority or is it merit based?

4. Can someone please describe a typical day? By that I mean - how long is a normal duty day? How many legs?

Any additional information on XOJet would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the information.

XOJet seems like an interesting option. I have some questions and I was hoping someone may be able to answer them for me please.

2. I have not seen any concrete information about pay and/or benefits on this site or the company's web site. Someone posted $50K for FOs and $90K for CAs are these figures correct? Does anyone have an actual pay scale? How about 401k, 401k matching, and/or profit sharing?

3. How long does it take to upgrade? Is upgrade based on seniority or is it merit based?

4. Can someone please describe a typical day? By that I mean - how long is a normal duty day? How many legs?

Any additional information on XOJet would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the information.

Trying to get back for those ASU football games in Tempe? I don't blame you. I read on another thread that if pilots select a reserve schedule (more possible days out) then they can do homebasing. I don't know many details. Flying the C-X or Challenger 300 wouldn't be too bad...

BTW, I do know a few Netjets pilots who live in PHX but commute to LAX on the 7/7 schedule (they only commute twice per month to LA) - it works for them. Citationshares and Avantair also have PHX domiciles for pilots if you are interested in the fractional business.

Last edited:

1. You could be based in PHX from the date you are hired.

2. I'm the one who posted the 50 and 90K numbers. It is actually 250 per day for FO's times 204 days per year = 51K, and 450 per day for Capt times 204 = 91,800. More for IOE Capt, Check airmen, Team Leaders etc. Longevity pay will be anounced shortly.
Yes, there is 401K. No match right now because they are giving us company stock intead. It is my understanding eventually there will be a match.

3. We do have senority numbers, but upgrade is not entirely based on them. We hire pilots with varying experience levels, and some guys need to build their total time before we can send them out as Capt. Wyvern and Argus require certain TT limits to certify us.

4."Typical Day"? My guess is that you are new to the unscheduled world? It could be anywhere from no flying, to 10 hours of flying with 14 hrs of duty, and six legs. That said, the X does lots of coast to coast. Often it is just the one leg, often not.

Last edited:
There is a market for both. Much like the markets for Toyota and Lexus. The Toyota version amy be "cheaper," but the Lexus has more appeal to a certain clientel. NetJets has never advertised as a discount source of air travel. It is what it is.
This may change fractional life as we know it. Charter plus owner, sounds like more work!!!!

Latest resources

Back