• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XOJet growth...??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've never had to do 8 or more days away from home for my job. (This is a serious question)...what do you guys do to keep your uniforms and layover clothes clean? Hotel dry cleaning? Does the company pay this expense?

Do they also have a limit on what you can spend on your meals? Can you get a juicy steak from Ruths Chris and charge it to the company card?

Get a soft hanging garment bag, put 5-6 shirts and an extra pair of slacks in there, fill your suitcase up with an extra pair of shoes, socks, boxers and undershirts and you're good to go. If you need to do laundry on the road, the company will take care of it. Plan on using the coin-op laundry machine though, we aren't in hotels long enough to use the hotel's laundry service.

As for meals, keep it under $75 per day and you can enjoy your steak compliments of the company. Bump up against that $75 limit everyday though and you may raise some eyebrows. And if you do eat that much, you won't fit in the 10's cockpit for very long! Crew catering is not included in that $75 cap, but again, be smart about it. As long as we behave like adults, the company will treat us like adults. When we have time, I think a lot of crews get food to go from where they had lunch and eat that on the plane for dinner.

This may change fractional life as we know it. Charter plus owner, sounds like more work!!!!

Hammer,

You're not grasping the less owners part. A typical fractional can have up to 16 owners all with guaranteed availability. Talk about a recipe to get slammed! We have a max of 3 owners per aircraft. That is up to 5 times fewer guaranteed availability customers per plane which allows us to better regulate peak days.

However, if you are concerned about working hard, do yourself and the rest of us a favor. Stay where you are. Slackers are not welcome.

I've never had to do 8 or more days away from home for my job. (This is a serious question)...what do you guys do to keep your uniforms and layover clothes clean? Hotel dry cleaning? Does the company pay this expense?

Do they also have a limit on what you can spend on your meals? Can you get a juicy steak from Ruths Chris and charge it to the company card?

You've NEVER been on the road for 8 days? What kind of pilot are you?

I've never had to do 8 or more days away from home for my job. (This is a serious question)...what do you guys do to keep your uniforms and layover clothes clean

Torpid, I don't fly for XOJET (though from what I'm hearing, I probably wouldn't mind)...but will address your question. Eight days on the road is probably the shortest I've ever spent, if that...sometimes up to ten months in all kinds of conditions before returning home.

I generally carry a weeks worth of clothing with me. I roll everything. It helps avoid wrinkling, and makes it easy to iron. It also takes up much less space. If I'm wearing a white pilot type shirt, I go a day per shirt (I've known some who go several days if it's short legs and not a lot of duty time). I don't like to go more than that beause shirts become difficult to clean. You could dry clean, but it's usually not so easy because often as not it's a late arrival and an early departure.

I like hotels with laundry facilities, and will usually try to do a load every five days or so. Or in some cases, whenever I can get hold of a machine. I usually carry my own soap, either in a small plastic container, or a couple of the single-load tide's. Some detergent or oxyclean in a ziploc bag works well, too. I carry a little squirter bottle for ironing in my shaving kit, and you'll find that hanging clothes in the bathroom with a hot shower tends to take care of most wrinkling before you ever get to the iron.

With a little care, making clothes stay clean and last a long time on the road is no problem at all.

Latest resources

Back